GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trio of 385 HP Trucks Coming at GM!

The Silverado SS has been a hot topic of discussion lately with all the hype surrounding the new Dodge Ram SRT-10 and it’s earth shattering 500 horsepower. Many GM enthusiasts have been wondering when GM will put some of the internal expertise that GM Powertrain has to offer towards making a truck worthy of the SS name. This has led to several conflicting reports as to what the future holds for GM performance trucks. One report has the Silverado SS getting a supercharged engine in 2006. Another report on this very site predicted the Silverado SS would simply be getting a bump in power using a naturally aspirated engine. I can say I myself have been pulling my hair out trying to guess what direction GM is going on this one. Ironically in the end it turns out that pretty much everyone is right.

For 2005 the Silverado SS will see virtually no changes, as it won’t be until 2006 things get interesting. One thing not understood about the current SS is that it is capable of much more horsepower than it is making. The Vortec 6.0L in the Silverado SS is easily capable of 400 HP, however the AWD system it uses can not handle that kind of power, so GM was forced to detune it to 345 HP. This will change in 06 as GM will roll out a standard cab, short box, RWD SS that will sport a 6 speed manual. GM already was showing a similar truck at shows last year that had people talking. What’s more is that this 6.0L/six speed combo will also see work in the 2006 Trailblazer SS, and a future SSR. The Trailblazer SS shown earlier in the year has esentially the production version of this new truck 6.0L rated at a hefty 385HP. It is our belief that all three trucks will have this same 385 HP rated 6.0L. It is known that we will see the production ready Trailblazer SS at an autoshow later in the year, however it is the SSR that may get the new engine and 6 speed first. This may happen in the 2005 model year run with the justification being that it is the halo vehicle for GM’s truck line. That however is dependent on if GM can get the engine and transmission certified in time, which time will only tell.

As for the rumors of a supercharger on the Silverado SS, I must admit I called it a baseless rumor many times, which was wrong. In reality there is development work being done on a Supercharged SS, but it is not yet approved and at least a few years off. Right now there is a lot of confusion on the issue, but it seems there may be some shared development between this engine and the engine being used for the super Corvette code named “Blue Devil”. The new engine is rumored to be a supercharged V8 with displacement north of 6.0L. This would position the SS much like the SRT-10 and Lightning which use the hottest engines from the Viper and Ford GT respectively. If this engine sees the light of day in the Silverado it will likely produce power numbers to the tune of 500-650 HP. All of this will depend on exactly what components are shared with the “Blue Devil”, if they are identical, 600HP may happen. On the other hand GM could engineer the supercharger from the “Blue Devil” to work on the 6.0L which would keep numbers down. I am guessing we will not see a supercharged SS if approved until sometime after 2007. I am guessing this because GM needs a transmission and drivetrain to deliver all that power to the ground, and many of those components are tied to “Blue Devil” development. If the new Corvette Z06 debuts next year (MY 2006), that means that “Blue Devil” would not happen until at least 2007 and possibly later. A supercharged SS will follow sometime after the “Blue Devil” Corvette because GM would not allow a truck to upstage the hottest Corvette ever made. I have also heard rumors that we may see a supercharged Silverado SS concept at an upcoming autoshow, however details are scarce.

In closing I would like to make a few points. First off, while the 385 HP is pretty much a done deal, the supercharged Silverado is not approved and may not happen. Luckily however, last I heard though, the odds are good it will be approved. Also, please keep in mind that if gas prices or government fuel economy regulations increase, GM might do an about face on parts of it’s future performance truck lineup. In the short term it is not really a threat, but in the future it very well may be.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
GM's really missing out on the sport truck market, because the current Silverado SS is kind of a joke compared with the Lightning and SRT-10 Ram. However, if they do use a supercharged 6.0, it should be pretty interesting. I would think it would be RWD only, though, because it would be very expensive to get an AWD system setup to handle that much torque (yes, I know of the cyclone/typhoon, but I doubt we'd see anything like that).

It's nice to see GM starting to at least think about this, though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
even if the supercharged version of the truck isn't available for a while, with the 385 hp version out...i'm sure there will be aftermarket SC's available for under 5 grand which should bump power up to at least 500 hp. there are already SC's available for these vortec motors which i think easily produce between 400 and 500 hp.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 3eb@Mar 14 2004, 01:41 AM
even if the supercharged version of the truck isn't available for a while, with the 385 hp version out...i'm sure there will be aftermarket SC's available for under 5 grand which should bump power up to at least 500 hp. there are already SC's available for these vortec motors which i think easily produce between 400 and 500 hp.
There is already one developed that maybe offered through dealers!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I just don't see the point of a sport-truck. Dodge and Ford only sell something like 5000 of their hot trucks a year, so it's not like GM is missing out all that much. I love the current SS truck...it's a real, useable, 4wd, ext. cab truck, that is also pretty fast. Make the 6 speed available on it, that'd be great, even the 385 HP, that's cool too. But 500? with a short-box and reg. cab? 2WD? That's not a truck, it's a slow, heavy, gas-guzzling sports-car that can't handle.

Why not spend all that development money on making your truck the beefiest, strongest mamma-jamma in town, with mega-towing and payload capacity?

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Mar 14 2004, 09:37 AM
I just don't see the point of a sport-truck. Dodge and Ford only sell something like 5000 of their hot trucks a year, so it's not like GM is missing out all that much. I love the current SS truck...it's a real, useable, 4wd, ext. cab truck, that is also pretty fast. Make the 6 speed available on it, that'd be great, even the 385 HP, that's cool too. But 500? with a short-box and reg. cab? 2WD? That's not a truck, it's a slow, heavy, gas-guzzling sports-car that can't handle.

Why not spend all that development money on making your truck the beefiest, strongest mamma-jamma in town, with mega-towing and payload capacity?
I agree, though I feel a bit conflicted about halo vehicles. I'll probably be slammed for saying this, but as much as it's irritating to have SRT's and Lightning's out there to completely eclipse the present SS in performance, I'm much more concerned that the Silverado/Sierra are starting to show their age against the new F-150, Ram and even the Titan (how sick is THAT?). I know new ones are on the way, presumably for 2006, but it might be nice to have a 385-hp engine as an option in regular Silverado's and Sierra's, just so it can surpass the Ram and Titan in absolute power and hopefully in more real-world applications as towing and payload capacity.

Of course, it's nice to have halo vehicles, but these days I find myself more concerned about GM getting the basics right - then have fun with the limited-edition vehicles, no?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Mar 14 2004, 09:37 AM
"I just don't see the point of a sport-truck. Dodge and Ford only sell something like 5000 of their hot trucks a year, so it's not like GM is missing out all that much. "

Not sure about dodge, but ford makes a limited number of lightings, and i'm pretty sure they all sell easily. If ford made more, they'd sell more. This is a good move by GM, if the reg cab SS is priced reasonably, it could be a huge hit!
Not sure about dodge, but ford makes a limited number of lightings, and i'm pretty sure they all sell easily. If ford made more, they'd sell more. This is a good move by GM, if the reg cab SS is priced reasonably, it could be a huge hit!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Cool scoop, Branden!

I'm waiting for a total redesign of GM's big trucks before even considering them. Until that day I'd prefer a Chevy Express Van, funny though that may sound. I look forward to that day and seeing GM trounce the Ford F-150 in more ways than one.

I also want to see 3-valves per cylinder ala Ford, multiple spark plugs ala Hemi, or *some* kind of tech, like DOD standard on all of the engines. How cool would standard Hybrid assist (with an inexpensive, long lasting battery) be? If memory serves, GM is trying this out on military trucks.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by awalbert88@Mar 14 2004, 01:05 AM
GM's really missing out on the sport truck market, because the current Silverado SS is kind of a joke compared with the Lightning and SRT-10 Ram.  However, if they do use a supercharged 6.0, it should be pretty interesting.  I would think it would be RWD only, though, because it would be very expensive to get an AWD system setup to handle that much torque (yes, I know of the cyclone/typhoon, but I doubt we'd see anything like that).

Once again let's compare apples to apples. The SS when re-introduced was never meant to compete with the L and Dodge, that's a given. It is however good news that GM may boost the HP ratings for 2006. As for competeing against the competition in that miniscule market know as sport trucks well I can't see GM doing that. They won't see a viable market for it. That similar post mentioned in here says it all.
With GM shifting it's focus to developing cars, it is very unlikely they will outlay the cash to certify a powerplant in the Silverado that can compete in the miniscule 500HP super performance truck market the Lightning and Ram are headed. The idea is to build a high end truck that has all the usability of a standard Silverado, but has a bit more punch for people wanting it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
:flush: Read in todays Detroit News Cheverolet trucks have a big problem with

pumps in trannys .Just think all the horsepower and the tranny isn't

worth a s--t.There design people need to go back to school and LEARN

:type: what is needed in todays market.Engineer for QUALITY not to sell junk

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
This is great news as the current SS is a joke; I like that its AWD, but if that is whats holding it back, then dump it like a bad girlfriend. I would really like to see a return of the Typhoon/Syclone trucks as well. I'm a huge fan of the sport trucks and once out of college I intend to have one. Hopefully it'll be a Chevy, but it certainly doesn't have to be.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Once again, a horsepower hungry America. Bad thing? Oh yeah! If we cared about the environment more, we would know not to put 500 hp engines in trucks. Trucks aren't supposed to go 0-60 in 5.0 seconds; they're supposed to haul stuff! That is why trucks were created in the first place. We know all you need in a truck is a good amount of torque and a good amount of pounds you can carry.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Originally posted by awalbert88@Mar 14 2004, 01:05 AM
GM's really missing out on the sport truck market, because the current Silverado SS is kind of a joke compared with the Lightning and SRT-10 Ram. However, if they do use a supercharged 6.0, it should be pretty interesting. I would think it would be RWD only, though, because it would be very expensive to get an AWD system setup to handle that much torque (yes, I know of the cyclone/typhoon, but I doubt we'd see anything like that).

It is Syclone.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts