GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
...and yet, electricity is rising in cost as quickly as gasoline. The consumer never gets a break so what's the encouragement to rush toward expensive EV's until they become cheaper than ICE's?
Electricity is as cheap as is ever. It is gas that has gone up causing the cost of transportation to go up.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line
Rectangle Product Azure Slope Plot

·
Registered
18 Posts
GM has the vision. I think everyone here on GM Inside News forums agrees there. What still remains ambiguous following yesterday's Investor Day event at Warren Tech Center is a pragmatic, well defined course of action. After viewing the presentation from that event, there were more questions than answers. And Ed753 mentioned in the Investor Day thread a rather curious response (paraphrased, not a direct quote) from a GM executive during the Q&A session:

The company possesses impressive engineering capabilities. But some GM Inside News members, me included, are skeptical that GM can quickly build a marketing & PR organization of the same caliber. Without one, GM's ability to successfully achieve their vision and sustain it long term is severely constrained.

To quote the Japanese proverb (I think Soichiro Honda used it often):
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.
good point. GM needs to raise the valuation of its stock. Rebranding as a tech company is step to do that. Tesla's valuation versus GM is astounding. Why, because EVs are all upside. In ten years ICE vehicle manufacturing will have no value. There are 300 companies in China manufacturing some sort of EV. All it takes it one to get to get lucky (or right) to dominate the world. GM sees the future and positioning it self to be a player in ten years. It's like player poker you just have to stay in the game.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,276 Posts
Whatever it takes to try and get that stock price to bump a bit more. Check back in a few and see where we really are with this agenda .

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Electricity is as cheap as is ever. It is gas that has gone up causing the cost of transportation to go up.
View attachment 64585 View attachment 64584
You are supplying outdated information. In my area of PA electricity has gone up 4 cents per kWh since January and continues to climb. Watts:) gonna stop it from ever increasing given the new hatred for natural gas?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
...and yet, electricity is rising in cost as quickly as gasoline. The consumer never gets a break so what's the encouragement to rush toward expensive EV's until they become cheaper than ICE's?
The rush is to be the first on the block in your neighborhood with an expensive EV and showing everyone how to save the environment with a stunning statement of doing so parked in front of your 5,000 sqft house built for two.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
GM has the vision. I think everyone here on GM Inside News forums agrees there. What still remains ambiguous following yesterday's Investor Day event at Warren Tech Center is a pragmatic, well defined course of action. After viewing the presentation from that event, there were more questions than answers. And Ed753 mentioned in the Investor Day thread a rather curious response (paraphrased, not a direct quote) from a GM executive during the Q&A session:

The company possesses impressive engineering capabilities. But some GM Inside News members, me included, are skeptical that GM can quickly build a marketing & PR organization of the same caliber. Without one, GM's ability to successfully achieve their vision and sustain it long term is severely constrained.

I do get the skepticism on GM's ability to market - I've commented on it for years. I just made a comment today about GM not properly marketing my car.

But, I counter that with GM has actually been doing a great job of marketing Ultium and getting people fired up with the Lyriq and Hummer.

The way I see it is everyone has a choice in how they view this. You can focus on GM's weaknesses and wait for them to die or focus on their strengths to shine through their weaknesses. But no matter what, our opinions will not impact the outcome. So with that said, I'm going to cheer them on and hope for the best!

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Everybody on here wants to see GM do well, the Bolt EV has been a total unmitigated disaster a total recall money pit that's not being negative, that's just stating the real facts.

Ultrium batteries are brand new to the market like the Bolts batteries were back in 2017, how do you know for sure the Ultium batteries won't have problems show up in 5 years time if Hummer goes off road like they do and hit a big boulder or just force of it banging damages a battery pack setting up thermal runaway problem that catches fire a week later?
You are right, it has been a disaster. One of many recall disasters each and every auto make has weathered.

Ultium batteries will be new to market just like everyone else's. I've said it before that the Bolt issue is a small taste of what we will see in the future because I've not doubt there will be massive recalls.

The alternative is to say "to much risk" and keep building ICE until they go out of business.

I've no doubts the automotive landscape will look a lot different 20 years from now, just like the cellphone market looks nothing like it did 20 years ago - Blackberry or Nokia anyone?

GM has no choice but to move forward into the future, just like every other make. They've chosen to take the bull by the horns and make aggressive plans. There is a lot of risk and GM might not be around in 20 years, but they have to try. As I just said in my post above, why not focus on their strengths and hope for the best rather than waiting for them to fail?

·
Premium Member
36,183 Posts

GM hasn't built a quality marketing/PR effort in decades. What's changing? They get a good car, like the Volt, and they dump it in a few years
They get a good ad campaign--the swimming pool ads of a few years back, the recent Walter ad which has already disappeared--and they kill it. They should farm out PR, to whoever does ANY of the insurance company ads, which are bar none the most catchy, clever ads going.

PR is clearly way above GM's level of incompetence. They should just let go of it, for three billion they should be able to find SOMEONE to do it.

Everybody on here wants to see GM do well, the Bolt EV has been a total unmitigated disaster a total recall money pit that's not being negative, that's just stating the real facts.

Ultrium batteries are brand new to the market like the Bolts batteries were back in 2017, how do you know for sure the Ultium batteries won't have problems show up in 5 years time if Hummer goes off road like they do and hit a big boulder or just force of it banging damages a battery pack setting up thermal runaway problem that catches fire a week later?
It would probably be a different story if this were market/consumer driven instead of lifer government power-hungry green-dreamer bureaucrat-driven. There'd be more R&D time, it would just roll along on a more realistic timeline where mistakes can be caught before there are two million of them parked in peoples' garages. We see how government has mucked up just about everything since February. Why should be expect different from something as complex as a motor vehicle? What could possibly go wrong?

·
Registered
744 Posts
GM should rename their EV division to Gonna Motors as in "we're gonna double our revenues", "we're gonna have the best EV technology on the market", we're gonna have 1 million EVs on the road by 2035"

It's typical GM put the cart before the horse type stuff, market the crap out of what they have "coming" and then by the time it gets here they'll be marketing the next thing that's "coming".If they put that sort of effort into market what they have now, they'd have a better chance of increasing their revenues.

I've seen quite a few comment on here about some of the EV start ups and their "vapourware" while commenting on how great a job GM is doing. At this point GM's EV plan is nothing but vapourware. GM should more time building/engineering product that people want to buy and less time worrying about their stock price.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,977 Posts
But no matter what, our opinions will not impact the outcome. So with that said, I'm going to cheer them on and hope for the best!
I agree that opinions here on GM Inside News forums will not impact the outcome. What Neanderthal mentioned in post 30 will:
Neanderthal said:
find SOMEONE to do it [PR & marketing]
Engineering excellence (which GM has in spades) is necessary, but not sufficient, to succeed as a leader in the automotive industry now and in the future. The marketing & PR component is essential, and as Neanderthal mentioned, "GM hasn't built a quality marketing/PR effort in decades". Sadly, Wednesday's Investor Day presentation was no exception. :(

If GM does manage to clean house when it comes to PR and marketing operations, I'll volunteer to be on GM's cheerleading team. I want them to succeed, and I want to read a GM press release that's not cringeworthy sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
I agree that opinions here on GM Inside News forums will not impact the outcome. What Neanderthal mentioned in post 30 will:

Engineering excellence (which GM has in spades) is necessary, but not sufficient, to succeed as a leader in the automotive industry now and in the future. The marketing & PR component is essential, and as Neanderthal mentioned, "GM hasn't built a quality marketing/PR effort in decades". Sadly, Wednesday's Investor Day presentation was no exception. :(

If GM does manage to clean house when it comes to PR and marketing operations, I'll volunteer to be on GM's cheerleading team. I want them to succeed, and I want to read a GM press release that's not cringeworthy sooner rather than later.
I do agree that marketing is GM's weakest link and they need to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
While I agree GM's marketing has been terrible for quite awhile, is there much need for current marketing when GM can not even build enough vehicles to meet demand? Their profits have maintained despite hundreds of thousands of lost production and most vehicles are selling at MSRP or above.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I do agree that marketing is GM's weakest link and they need to do something about it.
Marketing isn't the Weak Point. Actually "Doing" something, and being the First to "Do" it is their weak point.

How does one "Market" what they Don't have yet? GM Marketed the Heck out of the Camaro, 4 Years before the Camaro actually arrived. By that time the Hype was over.

·
Registered
18,913 Posts
Marketing isn't the Weak Point. Actually "Doing" something, and being the First to "Do" it is their weak point.

How does one "Market" what they Don't have yet? GM Marketed the Heck out of the Camaro, 4 Years before the Camaro actually arrived. By that time the Hype was over.
Isn't marking the Camaro in a way that by the time it came out it was old news a marketing issue?

GM has been first to market with a lot of stuff only to leave the market shortly after (and have another competitor pick it up and be a success) - still smells like a marketing failure to not get enough people to buy said tech.

·
Premium Member
36,183 Posts

That utter cluelessness is part of their dysfunctional "marketing" division. It's like a bunch of 10-year-olds are in charge. "Oh boy oh boy, look at this!!! Cool! Let's push it!!"

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Isn't marking the Camaro in a way that by the time it came out it was old news a marketing issue?

GM has been first to market with a lot of stuff only to leave the market shortly after (and have another competitor pick it up and be a success) - still smells like a marketing failure to not get enough people to buy said tech.
Yes in a way Marketing was part of the problem. The Hype had already long past. But the Product didn't live up to the Hype also. There was already the Retro Mustang on the Streets, and a Promise of a Challenger to come.

I recall searching for a H2 for a Customer when they were first out. Only 1 Dealer in Canada was willing to sell me (another GM Dealer) a H2 at MSRP. All the rest wanted over MSRP. 1 year later 2 of the Dealers called and basically, Begged me to take 1 for my Customer. Hype sold the Dealer Base, maybe not the End User as much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Ultifi will be based on the Linux software platform to make it easier for third-party developers to have access. "

I can't be the only one that caught that last sentence. Hackers will go nuts!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts