GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Warren — General Motors Co. told investors Wednesday it plans to rapidly scale electric vehicle production and build out its new businesses to double revenuesto about $280 billionby 2030 and increase profit margins.
As it transitions to an electric automaker, GM is also focused on becoming known as a tech company with digital subscription service offerings it plans to monetize, as well other new businesses it recently introduced, including BrightDrop, which is focused on developing electric solutions for the delivery and logistics industry.
GM aspires to have an emissions-free lineup by 2035 and 1 million EVs on the road globally by 2025. To get there, it plans to spend $35 billion on electric and autonomous technology development by mid-decade. The automaker plans to introduce 30 EVs globally in that same timeframe, with two-thirds available in North America.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Extra charging stations, yes. Upgrade the grid to upgrade the 50-75 year old grid? Yes, but not just because of EV's. We currently don't use nearly 60% of what we make.....would be nice if we used all of what we made.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
We currently don't use nearly 60% of what we make.....would be nice if we used all of what we made.
...and yet, electricity is rising in cost as quickly as gasoline. The consumer never gets a break so what's the encouragement to rush toward expensive EV's until they become cheaper than ICE's?

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Damn, that's a huge increase. That's a lot of subscription service fees (among other things), and something I'm not please with - I read this as they expect to be getting me to pay a lot in monthly fees (of course, without knowing how much they intend to collect from fees).

I'm skeptical, but at the same time I like the swagger!

I assume their 1 million EV's on the road by 2025 includes ones already sold.

"We see, especially in the initial days, EVs being plus volume, so we see a tremendous opportunity to grow from an EV perspective," CEO Mary Barra said in a media briefing Wednesday.
In another thread we saw stats on where Tesla, and I think other electric brands, customers come from - a lot came from Toyota, Honda, etc. - I wonder if this means, at least initially, GM expects many of the people buying the earlier EV's will be new to the GM fold?

·
Premium Member
36,178 Posts
In 9 years??? I just don't see how that's possible unless a lot more people start buying electric cars. And that would require an upgraded power grid to handle the demand, charging stations at every gas station, etc...
It's quite possible if you simply smoke some wacky tobaccy at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And break time, during recess, on smoke breaks, and at the gym. Just trying to help out here.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,970 Posts
The consumer never gets a break so what's the encouragement to rush toward expensive EV's until they become cheaper than ICE's?
Increased power for governments, who get to dangle incentives in the form of grants, rebates, deferred or suspended tax obligations, contracts, loan guarantees, regulatory favoritism, etc. to "encourage" marketing EV components and services. This may be accompanied by penalties to businesses that offer products and services consumers actually demand.

It's a classic example of crony capitalism. Consumers are among the parties disadvantaged by this mad rush to EV.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
GM aspires to have an emissions-free lineup by 2035 and 1 million EVs on the road globally by 2025
Peak demand for the entry-level Rear-Wheel-Drive GM Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV. The new report indicates that the company might sell up to 45,000 or even 50,000 EVs (mostly the MINI EV) a month. That is 600,000 sales a year times 4 year of sales = 2,400,000 Bare bones Rear-Wheel-Drive GM Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV's by 2025 that the Chinese love and buy in big numbers an EV that is affordable to the masses in China.

In contrast to

Cheap and nasty boring Front-Wheel-Drivetrain Chevy Bolt EV full of expensive Cruize, gm electrc end remaking them all again for free for 2017 buyers. $34,200 for FWD golf cart!! People who buy small budget cars are looking for budget low priced cars in the future as the covid induced Fiat monopoly money printed high inflation erodes car buyers real income below inflation pay rises in the future.
Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Monochrome photography

GM's $2 billion Chevy Bolt fire recall casts shadow over electric vehicle market
Industry officials worry about the potential impact any fires could have when the industry is investing billions in the shift to battery power.

CNBC
Aug. 23, 2021, 9:10 PM BST
By Paul A. Eisenstein
General Motors has expanded the recall of its Chevrolet Bolt electric car because of concerns about potential battery fires, adding 73,000 more vehicles, for a total of about 142,000 cars — every single one that Chevy has sold so far.
The combined cost of the recall will reach nearly $2 billion as the auto industry plans to roll out dozens of new electric models over the next 24 months to meet President Joe Biden’s goal that electric vehicles reach 50 percent of total U.S. sales by 2030.
LINK

Where is the RWD/4WD Chevrolet Silverado EV?

Something that American's buy in massive numbers in the ICE form.

When will gm North America electric car division start delivering the right cars to the market place?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Good news for GM...doesn't mean much to actual car enthusiasts tho
Classic cars are a massive appreciating asset. I own two classic cars worth more than two Bolts, l certainly would not sell trade one in for a new boring characterless dodgy expensive Bolt EV golf cart, l value my families life.

GM give all it's FWD Bolt buyers that they lost $9,000 on the roof, every car they sold 2017 onwards, a new free Bolt replacement $34,200 replacement got to admit that takes some beating, GM lost 2 billions on the deal not a very sustainable way of running a profitable business wont provide a very long term future for gm electrics.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coming up first is the GMC Hummer EV truck this year, followed by the all-electric Cadillac Lyriq crossover next year. The automaker is also planning a Hummer EV SUV and electric Silverado pickup, as well as an electrified GMC truck.
It plans to introduce its Chevrolet Silverado EV, which will be made in GM's only Detroit plant, at the 2022 CES event in January.
GM is also entering the commercial space with two electric cargo van offerings, the EV600 and EV410 from BrightDrop.
To build all of these EVs, GM has so far slated five of its 16 North American assembly plants, including the Oshawa, Ontario, facility that is reopening this year to build trucks.

Future tech, AV growth
The automaker intends to grow revenue through technology like the recently revealed Ultifi, a new software program built on GM's Vehicle Intelligence Platform that will allow customers to personalize their vehicles and interact with them remotely. It will roll out in 2023. Ultifi will be based on the Linux software platform to make it easier for third-party developers to have access.
Ok, I see a lot of Announcements, but where is the Product? All Coming (except the Bolt).

Meanwhile, Ford has the Mach E, E Transit, Maverick Hybrid, Escape Plug In Hybrid, F150 Power Boost, all on Showroom Floors, with the F150 Lightening soon to be. And 95% of Ford's Products already equipped with Ford Pass, (Ford's Vehicle Intelligence Platform that will allow customers to personalize their vehicles and interact with them remotely.)

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
GM is supposed to introduce that product at CES 2022 which kicks off the first week January.
About time! Silverado this is what pays the bills & wages of staff in the future, that GM sells in big numbers certainly would do more to clean up the air than a Bolt nobody buys golf carts like the FWD Spark in big numbers the Spark EV another big golf cart fail!

GM should have made all the Caddy & top of the range Chevy/GMC full sized trucks E-REV & BEV first that matches the buyers wallet to expensive price of EV car and all the brilliant expensive cruise star ship enterprise technology, and then when prices of expensive EV's battery/cruise tech comes down in price with time, then filter it down to Chevy small cars last.

gm Electric do everything back to front, it has been very painful to watch.

Hopefully it ends up all working out well for gm Electric in the future, it's been legislated in by "climate change no time to waste" US Government rules & regs, gm Electric have no other choice than to make EV's in the future - it's the law!!

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Increased power for governments, who get to dangle incentives in the form of grants, rebates, deferred or suspended tax obligations, contracts, loan guarantees, regulatory favoritism, etc. to "encourage" marketing EV components and services. This may be accompanied by penalties to businesses that offer products and services consumers actually demand.

It's a classic example of crony capitalism. Consumers are among the parties disadvantaged by this mad rush to EV.
That's how the government steers everything. They are absolutely inept at just about everything other than getting their hand in your pocket. If they want EV they will add small incentives towards EV and add larger and larger discouragements (always taxes) towards ICE.

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
I don’t get about this thread’s overall negative tone and in general about GM’s EV plans. It’s not like GM has a choice nor is any company doing much differently long term. GM’s giving us a final salvo of spectacular ICE vehicles – C8, CT4/5 Blackwing's, even giving enthusiasts stick shifts in the Blackwing's – something most companies won’t do anymore. GM’s shown some really cool BEV product – Hummer, Lyriq and Celestiq to name a few; and the Hummer and Lyriq have received very enthusiastic early reviews.

They have a cohesive vision for the future, something they’ve decidedly lacked in the past. I have zero interest in going back to the GM of 20 years ago that had a bunch of performance options but their strategic plan was little more than to simply stay in business for another year.

Do I have doubts about their revenue goals? Sure – they are really aggressive. I get that GM’s investment in the future is somewhat at the expense of today and it’s frustrating to see Ford already have the eMustang and announced eTruck, especially when Ford’s been largely seen as dragging its feet, but it isn’t like we don’t know GM has a bunch of BEV’s right around the corner.

·
Premium Member
36,178 Posts
I read "we're going to double revenues" as "we're going to take more out the car and charge you more and you're going to like it." Hardly something to get excited about.
Doubling of revenues in nine years. OK. It's hard to predict next year, but hey, it looks good in a headline. Also see "federal budget to be balanced next year!" Also "Howdy Doodie to run for president in 2024!" Also... o_O

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Doubling of revenues in nine years. OK. It's hard to predict next year, but hey, it looks good in a headline. Also see "federal budget to be balanced next year!" Also "Howdy Doodie to run for president in 2024!" Also... o_O
That’s pretty funny actually.

I think a large part of this is that the manufacturers see how much cheaper the EV cars will be to produce while giving the impression that it’s tech so everyone needs to pay more.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,970 Posts
I don’t get about this thread’s overall negative tone and in general about GM’s EV plans... They have a cohesive vision for the future.
GM has the vision. I think everyone here on GM Inside News forums agrees there. What still remains ambiguous following yesterday's Investor Day event at Warren Tech Center is a pragmatic, well defined course of action. After viewing the presentation from that event, there were more questions than answers. And Ed753 mentioned in the Investor Day thread a rather curious response (paraphrased, not a direct quote) from a GM executive during the Q&A session:

"That is a really good question and we are not exactly sure how this is going to all play out"
The company possesses impressive engineering capabilities. But some GM Inside News members, me included, are skeptical that GM can quickly build a marketing & PR organization of the same caliber. Without one, GM's ability to successfully achieve their vision and sustain it long term is severely constrained.

To quote the Japanese proverb (I think Soichiro Honda used it often):
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Everybody on here wants to see GM do well, the Bolt EV has been a total unmitigated disaster a total recall money pit that's not being negative, that's just stating the real facts.

Ultrium batteries are brand new to the market like the Bolts batteries were back in 2017, how do you know for sure the Ultium batteries won't have problems show up in 5 years time if Hummer goes off road like they do and hit a big boulder or just force of it banging damages a battery pack setting up thermal runaway problem that catches fire a week later?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts