GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I wonder who'd buy? Probably the Chinese.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
to be honest, i feel that people buy hummers because they are a symbol of America, if they where owned by a chinese or other foreign company i think that stigma would be gone, who would want to buy a chinese hummer? they would be a poser...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Jeep....

5,934 Posts
Toyota will buy it. Then sales will go through the roof once it gets the sombrerro.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I can see an American commercial vehicle company purchasing Hummer and working with GM to improve/expand the brand. If any foreign firm buys Hummer, they'll have to prove to the off-road purist that Hummer is still rugged, still should be overpriced, and still relevant to maintain a good business case.

What kind of physical Hummer infrastructure exists that GM can sell off? Does GM have dedicated manufacturing facilities for Hummer?

Is the Hummer sale really a licensing agreement where GM will own part of the Hummer brand and continue to make Hummer vehicles for the majority owner? Can this be an arrangement somewhat like Daimler and Chrysler's relationship today?

·
Registered
991 Posts
It's really a shame that GM has backed itself into this corner, and is forced to sell now when the value for Hummer is at it's lowest. Now that oil prices are falling, I'm sure gas will get cheaper, everyone will forget how bad it was and start buying SUVs again; right after GM completes the sale.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I wonder who'd buy? Probably the Chinese.
Indians (specifically Tata). One thing I don't understand though is why would Tata want Hummer when they just purchased Land Rover? I guess if you have the money why not buy everything.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Indians (specifically Tata). One thing I don't understand though is why would Tata want Hummer when they just purchased Land Rover? I guess if you have the money why not buy everything..
Isn't that what GM and Ford Did in the 90s?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Hummer will remain a perfect example of amazing potential, but was brand-managed to death. Wrong direction, bad timing, and really bad marketing.

The H1 was a great off road vehicle, but was by no means fancy. It is the American version of the Land Rover Defender.

The Hummer H2 is just an off road capable escalade. It has too much chrome and ended up being too outlandish for many people to consider.
The H3 is a start in the right direction, but it too suffers from overdone, cartoonish styling. The gas mileage is bad, and the vehicles themselves are very, very visible.

In reality, all Hummer needed to be was solid, off road capable trucks that could go anywhere. They didn't need stand alone dealers nor did they need all the gadgets and what not that are included. A blind man can tell that the H2 was all Suburban on the inside!!

GM could have really gone far with this brand...I mean worldwide. They screwed it up with the H2 and the H3 didn't help much more- and the HX concept looks to be just as "overdone" as every other Hummer.

Basic, durability, and functionality should be the key here. When the Ford F250 makes a better Hummer than Hummer, it's a pretty sad day. Of course, GM doesn't redesign the Hummer....they sell the brand.

Stupid. GM has time to correct the mistakes that it made here. In fact, all Hummers are in their first generation. GM didn't even give this brand a chance.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Hummer will remain a perfect example of amazing potential, but was brand-managed to death. Wrong direction, bad timing, and really bad marketing.

The H1 was a great off road vehicle, but was by no means fancy. It is the American version of the Land Rover Defender.

The Hummer H2 is just an off road capable escalade. It has too much chrome and ended up being too outlandish for many people to consider.
The H3 is a start in the right direction, but it too suffers from overdone, cartoonish styling. The gas mileage is bad, and the vehicles themselves are very, very visible.

In reality, all Hummer needed to be was solid, off road capable trucks that could go anywhere. They didn't need stand alone dealers nor did they need all the gadgets and what not that are included. A blind man can tell that the H2 was all Suburban on the inside!!

GM could have really gone far with this brand...I mean worldwide. They screwed it up with the H2 and the H3 didn't help much more- and the HX concept looks to be just as "overdone" as every other Hummer.

Basic, durability, and functionality should be the key here. When the Ford F250 makes a better Hummer than Hummer, it's a pretty sad day. Of course, GM doesn't redesign the Hummer....they sell the brand.

Stupid. GM has time to correct the mistakes that it made here. In fact, all Hummers are in their first generation. GM didn't even give this brand a chance.
I don't see the cartoonish styling myself but looks are subjective. As far as capability goes the H3 is quite capable and won last years Baja 1000 which is quite an accomplishment.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Isn't that what GM and Ford Did in the 90s?
Yep, and look where it has gotten both GM and Ford. Too many overlapping models/brands and dealer headaches galore (at least for GM). You would think Tata would look at it and learn a lesson, but it looks like (if it comes true) that they aren't.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I could see Navistar purchacing them, they just bought the medium duty business.
I was going to say or International, but after googling the International pick-up truck to see what it's called, I see that Navistar is International. :D So then yes, I think that would be a good fit. They can sell their XT alongside H1s, 2s and 3s and perhaps expand the brand further.

If Hummer were sold to a foreign company I could see it losing a big part of it's desireability here in North America, but it could go global and prove successful.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts

I agree. I wouldn't sell Hummer just jet. Give each model its redesign first to boost sales, come out with the H4 to boost sales even more, then make the decision to sale or keep the brand. By then, gas may be cheap enough and the products better enough that Hummer is worth keeping.

That's what I would do.

·
Premium Member
35,888 Posts
Saab vs. Hummer? :eek: :think: :sad:

Ask a group of 1,000 people picked at random:
What is Saab? :confused:
What is Hummer? :cool:
What does Saab mean to you? :confused:
What does Hummer mean to you? :D

I'd bet about 10 percent of the population knows what a Saab is and about 90 percent of the population knows what a Hummer is.

Even Jay Leno's sub-moron Jay Walking interviewees probably know what a Hummer is.

To set this iconic, Americana brand adrift is IMO incredibly stupid. Wagoner's interview reads like gibberish. Do they drug-test at GM?

Incompetence, thy name is GMmismanagement. :barf:

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,109 Posts
Mahindra's response to Tata's purchase of Land Rover.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Saab vs. Hummer? :eek: :think: :sad:

Ask a group of 1,000 people picked at random:
What is Saab? :confused:
What is Hummer? :cool:
What does Saab mean to you? :confused:
What does Hummer mean to you? :D

I'd bet about 10 percent of the population knows what a Saab is and about 90 percent of the population knows what a Hummer is.

Even Jay Leno's sub-moron Jay Walking interviewees probably know what a Hummer is.
Yes...which is why when you're trying to sell a brand and cash in when you need cash the most, you sell the one with more brand equity, which is Hummer.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

But 2x the size of a Defender. Wonder where Hummer would be now if GM had introduced a Wrangler/Defender sized vehicle first and not the H2.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts