GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Saves $40 Million During G6 Launch
Pontiac gets its new midsize car – the G6 officially begins production in August.

By Brian Corbett
WardsAuto.com, May 26 2004

ORION, MI – By recycling equipment and reducing the use of contract workers, General Motors Corp. saved about $40 million while preparing its assembly plant here to build the all-new Pontiac G6 midsize sedan.

The 4.1 million-sq.-ft. (380,902-sq.-m) facility recently wrapped up pilot production of 40 non-salable G6s, and will complete today the first three builds of some 400 salable models. Job 1 is scheduled for early August, according to Gene Stefanyshyn, GM vehicle line executive-midsize cars.

Orion will halt production June 4 of its current vehicles, the Buick LeSabre and Park Avenue, says Plant Manager Jamie Hresko.

Following the launch of the G6 sedan in August, Orion will add output of the G6 coupe during first quarter-2005 and the G6 retractable hardtop in October 2005. The plant currently operates one shift with a line rate of 61 jobs per hour. The second shift, which has been laid off since April 2002 due to slow sales, is scheduled to return in eight to 10 months.

Full story here

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by T-Type@Jun 2 2004, 01:09 PM
man, the dollars involved in auto manufacturing boggle my mind. might has well be one hundred billion dollars... i have a tough enough time wrapping my mind around $40,000,000. ah well... guess that means there'll be savings of 40 million dollars on the G6... whohoo rebates!

5,934 Posts
I just hope there's a positive market reaction to it.

You know, people being caught 'alive' in a Pontiac?

:D

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by T-Type@Jun 2 2004, 01:09 PM
Pontiac gets its new midsize car – the G6 officially begins production in August.

By Brian Corbett
WardsAuto.com, May 26 2004

ORION, MI – By recycling equipment and reducing the use of contract workers, General Motors Corp. saved about $40 million while preparing its assembly plant here to build the all-new Pontiac G6 midsize sedan.

The 4.1 million-sq.-ft. (380,902-sq.-m) facility recently wrapped up pilot production of 40 non-salable G6s, and will complete today the first three builds of some 400 salable models. Job 1 is scheduled for early August, according to Gene Stefanyshyn, GM vehicle line executive-midsize cars.

Orion will halt production June 4 of its current vehicles, the Buick LeSabre and Park Avenue, says Plant Manager Jamie Hresko.

Following the launch of the G6 sedan in August, Orion will add output of the G6 coupe during first quarter-2005 and the G6 retractable hardtop in October 2005. The plant currently operates one shift with a line rate of 61 jobs per hour. The second shift, which has been laid off since April 2002 due to slow sales, is scheduled to return in eight to 10 months.

Full story here
Thats great news...but this stuck out like a sore thumb....

Hrmm... are they making thoes cars somewhere else, or are thoes cars going away? If so, Zeta cars could be on there way sooner then when we all thought huh? I guess the Park Ave replacement will be shown next year at NAIAS?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just went to the Pontiac website... What happened to the 6 speed manual to be offered on the G6... it isn't even mentioned. This would have ben one of the primary reasons for my purchasing this car, but now there is only one engine choice, the 200 hp v6 and the automatic tranny.
Hopefully in a year or so there will be some more options :(

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jun 2 2004, 04:29 PM
Hrmm... are they making thoes cars somewhere else, or are thoes cars going away? If so, Zeta cars could be on there way sooner then when we all thought huh? I guess the Park Ave replacement will be shown next year at NAIAS?
I believe those cars are going to Hamtramck. With Seville production going away, I'm sure there's capacity.

Anyone else confirm?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by joshpsf@Jun 2 2004, 04:45 PM
Just went to the Pontiac website... What happened to the 6 speed manual to be offered on the G6... it isn't even mentioned. This would have ben one of the primary reasons for my purchasing this car, but now there is only one engine choice, the 200 hp v6 and the automatic tranny.
Hopefully in a year or so there will be some more options :(
i checked earlier too, and they also don't mention the 3.9L or ecotec versions (or coupe or convertible for that matter). it's likely to build interest in what's coming first (V6 sedans), so that there's still a little news when the other versions come out. still, it'd be nice to hear from the mares own mouth that the 6-speed is on it's way! AWD didn't make it... surely the 6-speed will!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thats great news...but this stuck out like a sore thumb....

Arent they replaced by the LaCrosse/Allure?

EDIT: My bad, the Century/Regal are being replaced by LaCrosse
They must be moving, thats seems too soon for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Saturn has confirmed it is adding an Epsilon-based product to its lineup. It also is believed Buick will add an Epsilon-based vehicle. Orion is one of two GM plants building Epsilon products in North America. Fairfax, KN, makes the Chevy Malibu and Malibu Maxx.
So if the LaCrosse is similar to the Grand Prix, yet is replacing the Regal/Century....then the Buick Epsilon vehicle will be priced like a Century but smaller and on a newer platform...interesting

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Jun 2 2004, 04:29 PM)

I believe those cars are going to Hamtramck. With Seville production going away, I'm sure there's capacity.

Anyone else confirm?
Currently, Hamtramck builds the Cadillac DeVille, the Buick LeSabre, and the Pontiac Bonneville....the Bonneville was added to replace Seville production. Right now there are no official plans to add any more vehicles to Hamtramck.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck@Jun 2 2004, 08:48 PM
http://video.preautoshow.primediaautomotiv...o/auto_gallery/
I attempted to start a topic with these videos but couldn't
have a look some great info
including shot of the G6 sunroof opening
hey thanks dude! cool videos. i really love the front 3/4 view of the G6. man it looks athletic! and that wheelsbase is loooong! getting excited here!

looked at the lacrosse video too. and while side by side there's a striking similarity to the profile of the taurus, overall the lacrosse looks pretty fresh to me. exciting stuff!

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
the ecotec 2.4, HV V6 3.9 along with 6spd is not in production right now, but will be.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by T-Type@Jun 2 2004, 06:09 AM
Following the launch of the G6 sedan in August, Orion will add output of the G6 coupe during first quarter-2005 and the G6 retractable hardtop in October 2005.
This is my favorite part of the article B)

Theres no where Honda or Toyota are going to have a hardtop convertible competitor to the G6 by then :drevil:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by joey@Jun 5 2004, 04:37 AM
Hmm. The ION's going from a 5sp auto to a 4-sp. Don't hold your breath on a 6 speed comming out soon.
6spd manual for FWD cars should be coming around next year some time for the coupe.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Originally posted by joey@Jun 5 2004, 04:37 AM
Hmm. The ION's going from a 5sp auto to a 4-sp. Don't hold your breath on a 6 speed comming out soon.
i see that as a good thing, since gm doesn't make a 5 speed auto (fwd), which means nothing more than GM is actually going to use its own parts for the car...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Originally posted by Dumb_Ass_2003+Jun 6 2004, 05:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dumb_Ass_2003 @ Jun 6 2004, 05:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-T-Type@Jun 2 2004, 06:09 AM
Following the launch of the G6 sedan in August, Orion will add output of the G6 coupe during first quarter-2005 and the G6 retractable hardtop in October 2005.
This is my favorite part of the article B)

Theres no where Honda or Toyota are going to have a hardtop convertible competitor to the G6 by then :drevil: [/b][/quote]
Hardtop convertible...is this new, because I don't remember hearing anything elsewhere about this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts