Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,466 Posts
Meanwhile, in China, sales basically flat for 2021, down -22% in 4Q21:

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
General Motors will look a lot more profitable on the lower sales numbers, they have had the biggest cutback on incentives.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,443 Posts

·
Registered
21,687 Posts

·
Registered
19,658 Posts
OK I looked up two more, this is all I'm going to do:

BMW +20%
Hyundai +19%
Toyota +10.4%
Nissan +8.7%
Ford -6.8%
GM -12.9%

4Q21
Ford -6.3%
BMW -10.9%
Nissan -19.8%
Hyundai -23%
Toyota -30%
GM -42.9%

These are US sales.

General Motors will look a lot more profitable on the lower sales numbers, they have had the biggest cutback on incentives.

Impressive drop in GM's incentives. I know that drop is for December, but assuming the entire quarter is similar (November is almost as low), that represents $1.7B (5,366-1,617)*440,745.

One thought regarding the Q4 USA sales volume. BMW is up a good amount in the USA, but are their worldwide results similar? Meaning I know they sell more higher end vehicles in the USA and have lower tier packages in Europe not sold here. So has BMW (presumably the same for Mercedes) cut back their lower end sales which will much more greatly impact their European volume? Possibly even a similar story for Toyota as they sell a lot to 3rd world countries, have they simply stopped production of low end 3rd world models to prop up higher margin sales in the 1st world? I guess what I'm saying is worldwide sales volume year over year might be more telling than what we are seeing in the American market which might be skewed.

·
Registered
21,687 Posts

What missing from this is MSRP's, which have also gone up, considering how few cars GM had on the lot to sell, I'm almost surprised the incentive weren't zero; they should smash earnings.

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
When that chip situation is sorted out, depending on how they manage inventory, this industry might become a high margin industry

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
When that chip situation is sorted out, depending on how they manage inventory, this industry might become a high margin industry
🤔

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Think of it this way, if they do not over produce, and keep inventory reasonable, they will not have to pile on incentives, as an industry.
They are raising prices so much now, I'm not sure it'll matter, I don't see how it happens.

But why do you want this?

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
What missing from this is MSRP's, which have also gone up, considering how few cars GM had on the lot to sell, I'm almost surprised the incentive weren't zero; they should smash earnings.
Our local Chevy dealer has 1 1500 and 1 Blazer. That is all.

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
They are raising prices so much now, I'm not sure it'll matter, I don't see how it happens.

But why do you want this?
I do not necessarily want it; I am making an observation. Remember, unlike you who drives the latest cars with the greatest dell monitor inside, I drive old 10-year-old Ford fusions.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
On a side note perhaps GM could humor us by letting us build a new updated Silverado on the Chevrolet website.

·
Premium Member
11,409 Posts
All it takes is one domino to fall, though, and then we could see all the rest fall/go back to old habits.
It looks to be all manufacturers engaging in charging more while there’s stock shortages, I wonder if this is like game theory where all automaker realises that hanging tough on prices and not competing as much means that all of them benefit. Not so much a conspiracy but a growing recognition that overly aggressive competition and high incentives is ultimately self defeating.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
It looks to be all manufacturers engaging in charging more while there’s stock shortages, I wonder if this is like game theory where all automaker realises that hanging tough on prices and not competing as much means that all of them benefit. Not so much a conspiracy but a growing recognition that overly aggressive competition and high incentives is ultimately self defeating.
It may be. But it'll only take one "high up enough" exec that wants a sales crown to throw a wrench in that plan.

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Our local Chevy dealer has 1 1500 and 1 Blazer. That is all.
I do not necessarily want it; I am making an observation. Remember, unlike you who drives the latest cars with the greatest dell monitor inside, I drive old 10-year-old Ford fusions.
So much for holding firm on prices?

Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Grille

Reactions: Extreme4x4

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,777 Posts
^^^ I just did an inventory search and that's showing a total of 699 2022 Blazers in a search radius of 1000 miles, 100 miles - nothing, 250 miles - 39, 500 miles - 362. That's all FWD AWD and all trims. For 2021 Blazers it goes 231 - 1000 miles, 500 miles - 156, 250 miles - 23, 100 miles - 1. And that is like previous, everything FWD AWD and all trims...

61 - 80 of 92 Posts