Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,198 Posts
Combining the info from the reservations pages, here's the release schedule:

Fall 2021: Truck Model 1 (Sold Out)
Fall 2022: Truck EV3X
Early 2023: SUV Model 1 (Sold Out)
Spring 2023: Truck EV2X and SUV EV2X/EV3X
Spring 2024: Truck EV2 and SUV EV2

My guess is this shows they really see this as a niche product, since the various versions are quite spread out.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Here is the real reason why it is only 2 rows vs 3 rows: it is cheaper to build. Cheaper to build + higher price = moar profit...that is GM's SOP nowadays, whatever they can do to get more of your money for less product they'll do it...It's not a necessarily bad thing, it just is what it is. You can pretend to believe the more capable off roader BS if you want but if that were the case then the Hummer Pickup wouldn't have a longer wheelbase and a longer rear overhang for the longer bed.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Here is the real reason why it is only 2 rows vs 3 rows: it is cheaper to build. Cheaper to build + higher price = moar profit..
The main reason is the impossibility to design acceptable third row in Hummer's form factor without compromise for the second row. You get a mediocre second and mediocre third row. Large second row without a third is the optimal solution that provides adequate space for all passengers.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
The main reason is the impossibility to design acceptable third row in Hummer's form factor without compromise for the second row. You get a mediocre second and mediocre third row. Large second row without a third is the optimal solution that provides adequate space for all passengers.
What are you talking about? "the impossibility to design acceptable 3rd row"? The Hummer truck is 216" long...that's 6 inches longer than the Tahoe...if they couldn't figure out how to put a 3rd row in that (clarification: an SUV of that size) then maybe they need to go back to engineering school. One of the inherent advantages to EV design is that the floor is absolutely flat which helps a ton with packaging seating areas...it's why Tesla can do a 7 passenger Model Y, S and X configuration out of a small footprint, what we're saying is that they SHOULD'VE built the SUV to the exact same size as the truck and stuffed in a 3rd row and charged another 15 for it for all I care...because if I'm spending 115 grand on a Electric SUV, chances are that I can afford another 15k.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The Hummer truck is 216" long...that's 6 inches longer than the Tahoe..
Repeat, we are talking about the Hummer's form factor with its very small rear overhang, which can't provide a normal third row. It's not about the wheelbase, it's about the geometry of the body.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Repeat, we are talking about the Hummer's form factor with its very small rear overhang, which can't provide a normal third row. It's not about the wheelbase, it's about the geometry of the body.
Not trying to threadjack with a back and forth, hopefully this is that last that i'd need to add on this. The H2 was 190" with a 122" wheelbase...the Hev SUV will be 196" long w/ a 127" wheelbase. One had a 3rd row while dealing w/ packaging limitations due to it being ICE w/ fuel tank and rear running gear packaging considerations...the other has all of the packaging advantages of not having to deal with any of that, and still doesn't have a 3rd row. Can you explain how that makes any sense at all?

TBH the SUV is functionally useless compared to the truck, the Truck is going to be roomier due to the longer wheelbase and have a functional bed.

·
Premium Member
33,519 Posts
Combining the info from the reservations pages, here's the release schedule:

Fall 2021: Truck Model 1 (Sold Out)
Fall 2022: Truck EV3X
Early 2023: SUV Model 1 (Sold Out)
Spring 2023: Truck EV2X and SUV EV2X/EV3X
Spring 2024: Truck EV2 and SUV EV2

My guess is this shows they really see this as a niche product, since the various versions are quite spread out.

I would say vehicles costing over $70K are going to be niche, however you slice it, they are not going to be everywhere

·
Registered
7 Posts
To summarize what I have read on the production cadence at General Motors Detroit-Hamtramck Factory Zero......
Hummer pickup production launch moved up to September 2021
Production of Cruise Origin begins May 2022
Silverado EV production launch moved up to September 2022 from December 2023
Then comes Hummer SUV which begins production in November 2022 to begin selling in early 2023
Cadillac Celestiq will launch production in October 2023

If the BEV launches go smoothly, GM may shorten gap between on-sale dates of Hummer pickup and SUV

Also at Spring hill TN
Cadillac Lyric production launch is Marrch 2022
Cadillac D-size CUV production launch sometime in 2024

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
^^^Perhaps, for once, GM will under promise and overdeliver with all these new EV's?

61 - 75 of 75 Posts