GM Inside News Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Out of curiosity why do these electric vehicles have so much horsepower? Can they have half the power and double the range or am i thinking wrong?
The HP & torque doesn't matter like it does with ICE...I just look at it as max potential, range is 99.999% dependent on battery capacity as long as you're not v maxing it 24/7

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
This thing is chock full of badassery.
GM should never make another non-cool EV.

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
Out of curiosity why do these electric vehicles have so much horsepower? Can they have half the power and double the range or am i thinking wrong?
This topic has come up before and I've read a few articles. I don't recall the specifics, but I believe it to be a little marketing game-playing. If I remember right, hp when used with electrics is a different measurement than when used with ICE.

But also, at the same time, when we are talking ICE, that is peak hp/torque. And in electrics, it delivers peak the entire time, there is no curve. So, if using the same measurement for ICE and BEV, if both were rated at 300 hp, the BEV will be considerably faster.

Hopefully, someone with a better memory/grasp of the details can jump in.

Edit:Heres a quote from a Road & Track article on the new Hummer SUV:

The Hummer SUV EV will offer nearly identical power output compared to the pickup: GMC proudly touts an 11,500 lb-ft torque figure for all tri-motor Hummer variants, but that's wheel torque, not motor torque, a figure that's impressive but not exactly comparable to what we're familiar with in internal-combustion vehicles. Going by motor torque, the Hummer EVs put out around 1100 lb-ft max—certainly more than enough to deal with pretty much any terrain.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,252 Posts
GM doesn't have enough battery cells to fulfill all the orders for a Silverado EV.

It is going to be low volume for a while might as well sell $80k-$110k Hummers and $60k plus Cadillacs before you get to $45+ Silverados.
Exactly

Battery supply is a huge issues for all car makers and people who drive Silverados (generally speaking) are not looking for EVs anyway.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Further details and photos.
This is interesting for off road EV-ing with others:

• New available Power Station generator2 that enables 19.2kW AC charging, generator functionality (120v/25A/3kW) and ability to charge other EVs (240v/25A/6kW)

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Just a guess...but MAYBE they don't give a fart about a rear wiper because it has a full time rearview camera/mirror
This is exactly what I was going to say. A) I don't know how anybody knows that there's not a wiper yet as nobody has seen a real one yet. And B) a rear view camera in the rear view mirror (like many GM vehicles have now) removes the need for a wiper as long as there's a camera washer. My truck doesn't have a rear glass wiper or a mirror camera and I don't find it to be an issue. In fact, most vehicles don't have a rear wiper. Only large SUVs and mini vans. Cars and trucks don't.

Reactions: sdotjeezy

·
Registered
111 Posts
It will fit a standard parking space.

The problem is hole in the wall small businesses that sometimes have smaller than standard parking spaces.
And it's large. Once it's parked it will be subject to door dents. It's even worse when it will be parked on the street. I can only imagine how problematic it will be in the historic districts of some cities like Boston, Quebec city, Montreal or New York.

Because, let's face it, most owners will never take it offroad.

I really like the styling.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
This is exactly what I was going to say. A) I don't know how anybody knows that there's not a wiper yet as nobody has seen a real one yet. And B) a rear view camera in the rear view mirror (like many GM vehicles have now) removes the need for a wiper as long as there's a camera washer. My truck doesn't have a rear glass wiper or a mirror camera and I don't find it to be an issue. In fact, most vehicles don't have a rear wiper. Only large SUVs and mini vans. Cars and trucks don't.
I will say this, the rear glass on both the Dodge and my Buick get pretty dusty/dirty, it has something to do with the Aero profile of a Crossover/Wagon. The Mazdas back glass doesn't have that problem.

Also, what we saw last week was not a production car...it was a production concept, little details like rear wipers could've just been omitted because this thing wasnt meant to see the road in the real world.

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
And it's large. Once it's parked it will be subject to door dents. It's even worse when it will be parked on the street. I can only imagine how problematic it will be in the historic districts of some cities like Boston, Quebec city, Montreal or New York.

Because, let's face it, most owners will never take it offroad.

I really like the styling.
I'm thinking no wider and certainly not as long as some of these mammoth pickup trucks that are out there, such as a Silverado 3500 HD crew cab w/long bed. This will be just like a Ferrari or any other special car - you park it far away from people. In the Hummer's case, you park it far away partly because you have to fit in a spot/take two spots just as much to keep people away. And in certain cases, you are SOL and have to find a place to jam it, just like I see these double-sized pickups.

And, I suspect if you have the money to buy this, you have another vehicle when you need to go into the city where the parking is tight.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's a dedicated off road truck. For the same price Cadillac will debut a people mover.
Thing is, I don't want a people mover. I wanted a dedicated off road truck, and I want to bring all my kids and my wife. Three rows solves this. Two doesn't. The H2 did it just fine, and there's no reason this one shouldn't. Really dumb oversight on GM's part.

I'm also totally fine with the longer wheelbase so I can have the longer range and the quicker 0-60. I'll pay extra for it. (And I agree, bring a wiper for the back window.)

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
Thing is, I don't want a people mover. I wanted a dedicated off road truck, and I want to bring all my kids and my wife. Three rows solves this. Two doesn't. The H2 did it just fine, and there's no reason this one shouldn't. Really dumb oversight on GM's part.

I'm also totally fine with the longer wheelbase so I can have the longer range and the quicker 0-60. I'll pay extra for it. (And I agree, bring a wiper for the back window.)
This is a low-volume, specialty image vehicle, just like a 911. It doesn't need to be all things for all people.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
“Back in the day, cars didn’t have rear wipers” Rolls eyes Who are you? Someone’s great great grandfather? Don’t care what cars had back in the day. They also didn’t have LED exterior lighting, auto braking, pedestrian detection or screens for infotainment either.
No, I don’t “need” a rear wiper during the winters here in Chicago but when I use the one on my Wrangler there is a HUGE difference when driving in inclement weather. I think Range Rover when I think of these new Hummers. A statement vehicle but you can still take it anywhere if you wanted.
Oh and whomever said the rear wiper might be hidden like on its brother Yukon, I don’t think so. I used the 360 tool on the website. It doesn’t have that spoiler piece to hide one. Didn’t think this topic would even be this interesting. Lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a low-volume, specialty image vehicle, just like a 911. It doesn't need to be all things for all people.
True that it doesn't need to be all things to all people. With a price tag that high, it can't be. The part that bugs me is that they already have the pickup version, which has the longer length needed for more batteries and a third row. What I'm saying is that they removed value by reducing the wheelbase, then missed added value by leaving out a 3rd row. I was thinking the 3-row SUV model would be a slight premium over the the pickup and was ready to jump on it. Now I'm trying to decide if I get one of these at all, or go for a Rivian. (They're not exactly the same, I know. But the Rivian will give me 3 rows in an electric SUV with similar performance at least a year earlier. So GM may be about to lose my business, even though I'd rather have the Hummer.)

·
Super Moderator
20,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
True that it doesn't need to be all things to all people. With a price tag that high, it can't be. The part that bugs me is that they already have the pickup version, which has the longer length needed for more batteries and a third row. What I'm saying is that they removed value by reducing the wheelbase, then missed added value by leaving out a 3rd row. I was thinking the 3-row SUV model would be a slight premium over the the pickup and was ready to jump on it. Now I'm trying to decide if I get one of these at all, or go for a Rivian. (They're not exactly the same, I know. But the Rivian will give me 3 rows in an electric SUV with similar performance at least a year earlier. So GM may be about to lose my business, even though I'd rather have the Hummer.)
Except they reduced the wheelbase to improve its off road capability. There's a valid reason behind that decision. The pickup has a longer wheelbase because it has a truck bed.

It might've reduced value for you but improved value for someone else. Considering GM is positioning both Hummers as off-road oriented vehicles, I'd say they made the right call.

Family hauler EVs will be coming later down the road.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Interview with one of the Hummer engineers

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
Depends on what customer you are talking to. Removed value for those people looking to take their family of 8 out onto the Rubicon trail, but added value for those looking for somewhat more compact dimensions (if that can be said of this gargantuan vehicle) for better off-roading. I have no doubts that if GM sees a market, they'll build it once they have capacity. It's a low-volume image vehicle, I think it looks awesome as is and eye-catching. If they add another row of seats it'll look a little awkward and defeat GM's purpose of making a low volume, eye-catching vehicle. They'll sell every single one of these SUV's as is.

I'm sure they could sell more Corvettes if they made it a sedan.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts