GM Inside News Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
I don't think the Mustang is ugly, I do admit that it is different and takes some getting used to but hell times change...I look at it as being simply Ford's way of trying to keep the Mustang name alive...so far it appears to be working, a generic Ford EV wouldn't have generated the buzz that the Mach E created.
That interior is not what will make the Mustang EV popular. It's the "EV" part, and the Mustang name.

Times change, but all change isn't good.

Really, how is a touch screen, even a big, tacked-on monstrosity like in the Mustang Mach EV, better than traditional control surfaces? It hard to improve on a simple, spring-loaded button. You get tactile feel that doesn't even require you to take your eyes off the road. You can't feel for a button on a touch screen, and even if you could you'd end up making unintended changes. Cadillac is going in the right direction, adding buttons to CT4 and CT5 and having both controls.

It's like when you see the occasional concept car with a joy stick or levers instead of a steering wheel. But some things can't be improved upon and cars still have steering wheels. They're perfectly matched to human physiology to control a car. No matter how pretty some touch screen looks, buttons still actually work better even if they're not "cool."

Yeah, I sound like an old man, and I am getting there. But there are constants in life.

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
That Mustang is so damn ugly. You can just hear some executive saying, "Look kids. See, cars are still cool just like the internets!"
Other than the tablet I do like it and think Ford made a good choice in using the Mustang name just as I think GM made a good choice resurrecting Hummer. But, that's why we have so many brands and styles - nothing can make everyone happy!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Same people who bought Hummers in the past, high end Corvette's, Escalades, German makes, Land Rover customers.
It would have to be. I can tell you for sure that it isn't in my budget. If I could afford a high end vehicle, I would probably consider the Escalade because that seems to have the cleanest dash. The navigation screens on the others look like a giant iPad and I don't like it.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Are you blind? Because it literally does exactly that. Go take a in-depth look at the dash and if your honest you’ll see exactly what I am talking about.
I swear it's like folks cop a contrarian take on my posts for just the eff of it...all I'm saying is that the much ballyhooed Escalade screen sits atop the dash...that's not debatable, that is what it is doing:

You can get your mental Simone Biles on if you like to justify your stance to yourself, but if you were honest you'd just come out and say, I have a problem w/ (fill in the blank) unless GM does it.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I swear it's like folks cop a contrarian take on my posts for just the eff of it...all I'm saying is that the much ballyhooed Escalade screen sits atop the dash...that's not debatable, that is what it is doing:

You can get your mental Simone Biles on if you like to justify your stance to yourself, but if you were honest you'd just come out and say, I have a problem w/ (fill in the blank) unless GM does it.

No, that’s not all you said. You said it wasn’t integrated into the dash. It certainly is integrated into the dash. In fact, the dash is designed the way it is because of the curved OLED screen. The dash follows the curve of the screens. You didn’t just say that it sits on the dash. Such an observation would be so obvious as to not even matter.

It’s not built into the dash itself like XT4, XT5 or XT6, but it is still very well integrated with the dash. Again, the design of the dash very thoughtfully flows from the screen. That’s integration.

The Mercedes dash design is not designed specifically due to the screen. The screen is simply there. The screen is completely flat and has no charm to it. Their screen isn’t even particularly interesting looking, and certainly doesn’t have the resolution prowess of the curved OLED. It’s rather boring.

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
I'm not liking the Mustang tablet - that is one of the worst with the tacked on look. To my point with the Hummer and it mirroring all of the straight lines, squares and rectangles in the interior - the Mustang interior is full of curving lines - seats, door, etc. and find the tablet to be discongruous. Is it so bad I'd not buy the car? Probably not, but it would definitely be my least favorite aspect of the vehicle.
I know I've said in a hundred times, the "iPad Look" looks weird in photos, but once you actually sit in the car and use it (and compare it to the alternative) where the dash grows to include it, you will see it is by far the best way for large screens to exist in a vehicle.

Can they make oval screens, would that pacify everyone!?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
No, that’s not all you said. You said it wasn’t integrated into the dash. It certainly is integrated into the dash.

It’s not built into the dash itself like XT4, XT5 or XT6
See what you did there...and then justified it with an opinion:

The Mercedes dash design is not designed specifically due to the screen. The screen is simply there. The screen is completely flat and has no charm to it. Their screen isn’t even particularly interesting looking, and certainly doesn’t have the resolution prowess of the curved OLED. It’s rather boring.
All opinion IMO (is IMO an acceptable catchall so that no one can claim that I'm being a know it all?), and then completely ignored that all I really said was that:

I say that this:

is more closely related to this:

than it is to this:

Not being argumentative, but the Escalade probably only gets a "pass" on getting lumped in because it is a larger screen & turned on its side. it definitely sits atop the dash, and it isn't integrated like the lower pic.
All factual...both the Escalade and the G Wagen use a screen atop the dashboard that spans from the IP to the center stack, neither molded into the dash...that is more related to each other than to the XT5 where there is a single 8" screen built into the dash with a separate molded in IP. Not sure why you took up a point of contention with that post as it is pretty factual.

Hell I even said that I didn't want to be argumentative, but still someone had to argue.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I know I've said in a hundred times, the "iPad Look" looks weird in photos, but once you actually sit in the car and use it (and compare it to the alternative) where the dash grows to include it, you will see it is by far the best way for large screens to exist in a vehicle.

The exterior of the 2nd gen Taurus killed its position as a #1 seller. With that and the Scorpio at the time, Ford went overboard with the acquatic or fish-eyes look. Did they not have a focus (pardon the pun) group?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do like the hummer but I believe the screen could have easily have been lowered and implemented into the dash. The rest of the interior is nice but I wouldn’t call it luxurious.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
That interior is not what will make the Mustang EV popular. It's the "EV" part, and the Mustang name.

Times change, but all change isn't good.

Really, how is a touch screen, even a big, tacked-on monstrosity like in the Mustang Mach EV, better than traditional control surfaces? It hard to improve on a simple, spring-loaded button. You get tactile feel that doesn't even require you to take your eyes off the road. You can't feel for a button on a touch screen, and even if you could you'd end up making unintended changes. Cadillac is going in the right direction, adding buttons to CT4 and CT5 and having both controls.

It's like when you see the occasional concept car with a joy stick or levers instead of a steering wheel. But some things can't be improved upon and cars still have steering wheels. They're perfectly matched to human physiology to control a car. No matter how pretty some touch screen looks, buttons still actually work better even if they're not "cool."

Yeah, I sound like an old man, and I am getting there. But there are constants in life.
I agree nothing beats a physical button...I prefer buttons and knobs to touchscreen as it is easier to manipulate without taking your eyes off the road. I just think Ford did that with the Mach E to appeal to the Tesla crowd because that is who they're trying to woo with the Mach E. They felt that was a large enough bucket of buyers to appeal to and at the end of the day, didn't want to turn anyone off by doing something so conventional.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Other than the tablet I do like it and think Ford made a good choice in using the Mustang name just as I think GM made a good choice resurrecting Hummer. But, that's why we have so many brands and styles - nothing can make everyone happy!

I was actually referring only to the interior. I don't have an issue with the rest of it.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
The exterior of the 2nd gen Taurus killed its position as a #1 seller. With that and the Scorpio at the time, Ford went overboard with the acquatic or fish-eyes look. Did they not have a focus (pardon the pun) group?
Wasn't that interior referred to as ovalkill?

Reactions: Syclone478

·
Registered
17,212 Posts

Ha! I forgot Fords foray into ovals :D

I have no doubt the placement of the tablets that look slapped on is very functional - I'm not questioning that. I just don't find it aesthetically pleasing in certain applications. I'm willing to give up some ease of use for something that looks more pleasing. We've had regular dashboards (buttons/knobs) where the buttons were places somewhere less functional all for the sake of aesthetics (which I have been fine with).

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
It would have to be. I can tell you for sure that it isn't in my budget. If I could afford a high end vehicle, I would probably consider the Escalade because that seems to have the cleanest dash. The navigation screens on the others look like a giant iPad and I don't like it.
More than I'll spend as well, but like the Corvette, something that I think would be cool to have! Something to dream about. I think it's fantastic and love the attention to detail. To me this indicates that something within GM has changed. The old GM would've never have given us such a high quality and original looking interior (same with the new Escalade, Corvette, Suburban and Yukon). I hope this is the start of something new from GM and will benefit lower end models. Do I expect miracles, like an Equinox with a Mercedes-like interior? No, but maybe they'll step things up a little more.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Have you always been this supportive of Tesla interiors too? Serious question because I'm sensing a shift in some peoples' opinions re extreme styling minimalism and the i-pad thing.

I'm suspecting if in 2020 Chevy introduced, not just any new EV, but a Camaro EUV and stuck that interior in it this conversation would be going an entirely different direction. The picture below should help you visualize my point. I want to be sure I have this clear... you would be actively defending THIS below as a proper interior for the first ever electric Camaro sport utility vehicle, priced as high as $60,000?

·
Registered
17,212 Posts
Have you always been this supportive of Tesla interiors too? Serious question because I'm sensing a shift in some peoples' opinions re extreme styling minimalism and the i-pad thing.

I'm suspecting if in 2020 Chevy introduced, not just any new EV, but a Camaro EUV and stuck that interior in it this conversation would be going an entirely different direction. The picture below should help you visualize my point. I want to be sure I have this clear... you would be actively defending THIS below as a proper interior for the first ever electric Camaro sport utility vehicle, priced as high as $60,000?

Not to put words into Ed's mouth, but he didn't necessarily say he thinks it looks good (he didn't say if he likes it or not), rather he was talking about its functionality. I'm sure from a functionality standpoint it is outstanding - it is big and right there in your face.

I think a good analogy is the 1980's (or was it 70's?) with USA government mandated bumpers. European makes had to slap on big bumpers that weren't well incorporated into their designs. I'm sure they were effective and worked, but they didn't look good.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
I think the screen looks a little odd, but overall the interior looks outstanding. I'm also not usually a fan of gold/bronze colors, but I think it looks cool in this implementation.

I can't wait to see pictures with 37" tires - the wheel wells look a little empty with only 35" tires!

I see a lot of resemblance to the H2T. Anybody else?

Reactions: jzchev28

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Not to put words into Ed's mouth, but he didn't necessarily say he thinks it looks good (he didn't say if he likes it or not), rather he was talking about its functionality. I'm sure from a functionality standpoint it is outstanding - it is big and right there in your face.

I think a good analogy is the 1980's (or was it 70's?) with USA government mandated bumpers. European makes had to slap on big bumpers that weren't well incorporated into their designs. I'm sure they were effective and worked, but they didn't look good.
But you put words in my mouth. I didn't say he thought it "looks good" or not. Ed is currently defending the layout yet I recall few if any on here defending Tesla's, prior to the Mustang Mach-E. My point and question stand, addressed to Ed.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
More than I'll spend as well, but like the Corvette, something that I think would be cool to have! Something to dream about. I think it's fantastic and love the attention to detail. To me this indicates that something within GM has changed. The old GM would've never have given us such a high quality and original looking interior (same with the new Escalade, Corvette, Suburban and Yukon). I hope this is the start of something new from GM and will benefit lower end models. Do I expect miracles, like an Equinox with a Mercedes-like interior? No, but maybe they'll step things up a little more.
The book matched carbon fiber seats and the new Blackwing steering wheel certainly appear that bolder high quality interiors are a thing. Also CT4-V Blackwing will also get its own race-inspired seats. So, there’s more good signs.

Reactions: BlackGTP
161 - 180 of 203 Posts