GM Inside News Forum banner
201 - 220 of 265 Posts

·
Banned
660 Posts
How do you know the failed designs from the good ones? Were you there to see the choices they picked from? Are all GM designs perfect? Was the Aztec a great design that nobody here could beat? Are GM’s designers better or worse than Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls? And if they’re better, why are they still at GM instead of a better company or working for themselves. And how do you know a “normal” person couldn’t do better? The only thing GM’S designers have are probably a graphic design degree and a few years experience. That’s not something that a ”normal” person can’t get. Your tendency to put GM and EVERYTHING they do on a massive pedestal is pretty freaking hilarious. Most of us on this site like GM more than most, but you’re a freaking extreme fanboi. It’s ok to admit that GM ain’t perfect. You won’t burst into flames.
I never said GM is perfect, I said you could not like the design. But for a person to think they could deliver the goods with a clean sheet of paper is nonsense. If they were that good they would be hired by a automotive company.

But you keep living in fantasy land

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
I never said GM is perfect, I said you could not like the design. But for a person to think they could deliver the goods with a clean sheet of paper is nonsense. If they were that good they would be hired by a automotive company.

But you keep living in fantasy land
You're adorable

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Ok I'll play this game?

Why, why should GM put as much effort in anything other than the Corvette?

The trucks make a ass ton of profit, they sell every one the make, hell I own a brand new one. They said the truck wouldn't sale in 2019 when they came out. Last time I checked the Silverado truck is everywhere. So what's GM'S motivation to sink more time and money into the Silverado?

The Corvette is a automotive icon GM'S pride and joy. Not to mention a test bed for technology that trickles down to every model GM has at some point. Including the Silverado.

So without the investment into the Corvette the rest of the GM'S lineup would suffer. The Corvette drives GM not the other way around.

You disagree? Well where did the LS1,LT1, 4, 6, 8 speed transmissions come from? Corvette! By end large GM pays attention to the Corvette so the rest of the company can move forward.

Maybe you can't afford a Corvette and that's what makes this difficult for you to accept. But focusing on the Corvette is the smartest thing GM has done over the last 2 plus decades.
Why wouldn't they put in as much effort to every vehicle, so every vehicle can be the top of their segment? I'm a (granted older gen) Vette owner, I've always loved them, but other life priorities are winning out on me getting a newer one. But there's no reason GM shouldn't invest in their bread and butter trucks in order to keep those massive profits.

BTW the Gen 3-5 small block may be pushing the performance envelope in the Corvette, but it's the fact that GM can share the development with the truck line that actually lets Corvette use it. It doesn't have the production numbers to pay for all those sweet powertrains on it's own. But being able to leverage the development that GM is using for the trucks anyway, Corvette is very profitable. But the truck/SUV sales are footing the lions share of the bill for powertrain development.

Exactly. A supercharger can be an easy update if demand warrants.

These are poser trucks. It’s about image and anyone serious about using any of these trucks off-road are going to further modify them from factory. GM was wise to retain much better payload and towing instead of severely handicapping that aspect vs raptor/trx. A full size truck is already too wide for many trails…no sense in making it even wider so I applaud that decision. Approach/departure angles are great and will get better if someone wants to upgrade to 35’s or better.

ZR2 is a winner and retains much more “truck functionality“ as opposed to raptor/trx
I think the change from the L87 6.2L N/A Gen V to an LT4 or LT5 would require GM to re-do lots of certification testing. The change in weight and clearnace to the hood would drive pedestrian changes potentially as well. So it may not be as easy as an update as you say, but here's hoping. But why not have GM go full out from the get go? What if instead people pass over the ZR2 because it doesn't have those crazy attention grabbing HP numbers, and then GM uses that as justification that there isn't enough interest to warrant additional updates? Hard to say coming to the party from the beginning with 668 or 750 HP wouldn't change the demand on the ZR2. It would be a sweet update to keep it "fresh" in a year or two as well, but it would be cool if they made a splash right away is all a lot of us are saying.

I think poser is a bit harsh for the trucks that have some legitimate components, front and rear lockers, etc., but I agree the people really into it would want to modify, and probably not even start with such an expensive new vehicle. The people I know that wheel have older significantly modded vehicles. The mods people will do if they want to use these as serious off roaders are likely more suspension and overall off road capability mods, vs. powertrian though. If you were going to start from a ZR2 and do extra capability modifications, leaving the engine and transmission completely alone to potentially keep some warranty coverage on those parts, vs. trying to add 100 hp yourself would be appealing to some. One less thing to have to put money into to change.

·
Registered
18,345 Posts
This Donkey has been beaten to death and buried, however, since it’s back out of the grave, here is the rub.
The 2019’s came before the new electronic architecture. in hindsight, given Chevrolet is a business, they increased sales, and market share, and the new electronic Architecture now allows them to add massive features with the redesign.. giving you a reason to trade in your 2019.

Lets bury the Donkey again… RIP.

Meanwhile, Poor Tundra. Dead on arrival
I know this is from a few days ago but my beef is GM really slacked on the '19 model and it caught them with their skirts down. They've done this "well, the electrical can't handle it" excuse a few times and it's so weird when it's a "new" generation. It makes no sense to design something new and then leave knob and tube wiring in. :D

·
Premium Member
34,675 Posts
I know this is from a few days ago but my beef is GM really slacked on the '19 model and it caught them with their skirts down. They've done this "well, the electrical can't handle it" excuse a few times and it's so weird when it's a "new" generation. It makes no sense to design something new and then leave knob and tube wiring in. :D
This time, it was actually true, The C8 launched the new electronic architecture and based on what you see say on an Escalade from last Gen and this Gen, the Data capabilities are certainly next level

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This time, it was actually true, The C8 launched the new electronic architecture and based on what you see say on an Escalade from last Gen and this Gen, the Data capabilities are certainly next level
When I saw the reveal with OTA I figured this must be on the new Global B architecture, but was also surprised since that seems like a big change for an MCE. That might be why it took them "this long for the interior updates" when the entire electrical system has actually been upgraded, which enabled them to do the latest GM Infotainment standards. It also makes me wonder if the trucks will be in the same boat as C8 with an (as of yet) untunable ECU, since Global B has tons of encryption (to prevent the OTA and self driving from being abused) where the modules all check in with each other to verify encryption. The C7 ZR1 still can only be tuned when a new ECU is purchased and some of the chips are replaced with ones that have known encryption. So it means a tune is now 5k instead of a few hundred bucks like on older ECUs. That won't even work on C8, since the other modules in the system would fail their check ins.

·
Premium Member
34,675 Posts
When I saw the reveal with OTA I figured this must be on the new Global B architecture, but was also surprised since that seems like a big change for an MCE. That might be why it took them "this long for the interior updates" when the entire electrical system has actually been upgraded, which enabled them to do the latest GM Infotainment standards. It also makes me wonder if the trucks will be in the same boat as C8 with an (as of yet) untunable ECU, since Global B has tons of encryption (to prevent the OTA and self driving from being abused) where the modules all check in with each other to verify encryption. The C7 ZR1 still can only be tuned when a new ECU is purchased and some of the chips are replaced with ones that have known encryption. So it means a tune is now 5k instead of a few hundred bucks like on older ECUs. That won't even work on C8, since the other modules in the system would fail their check ins.
These Trucks are also launching the GM/OnStar/Google in vehicle Infotainment Collabo that is replacing GM only Infotainment.
It is a big move on Chevrolet's part. I suspect Cadillac is going to keep Google in the background due to brand image issues.
Google as a brand is considered whore yourself out for 'freebies'. Facebook is even worse. I am getting rid of whatsapp. They are just an unethical company.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
This Donkey has been beaten to death and buried, however, since it’s back out of the grave, here is the rub.
The 2019’s came before the new electronic architecture. in hindsight, given Chevrolet is a business, they increased sales, and market share, and the new electronic Architecture now allows them to add massive features with the redesign.. giving you a reason to trade in your 2019.

Lets bury the Donkey again… RIP.

Meanwhile, Poor Tundra. Dead on arrival
Apparently that donkey is still available in 2022 if you get the W/T or Custom model so it can't be buried. As I mentioned before....with competition as fierce as it is, GM should be throwing a bone to all its customers, whether they are top of the line trucks or the W/T and Custom models. Should the W/T and Custom get all the bells and whistles? Of course not, but for Christs sake give them something better than the interior from 2014.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I don't care about this being a term paper. I don't come on here correct a English paper. This is a place to make opinions, if you want to waste your time grading post then go ahead.
At least you used the right "your" this time...I guess we can call it progress.

·
Banned
660 Posts
As for the Truck I have watched people critized the Silverado for years. As every new or refresh comes out, people say it will never sale. And every time the GM twins are a success. And I see this refresh being no different.

·
Premium Member
34,675 Posts
Apparently that donkey is still available in 2022 if you get the W/T or Custom model so it can't be buried. As I mentioned before....with competition as fierce as it is, GM should be throwing a bone to all its customers, whether they are top of the line trucks or the W/T and Custom models. Should the W/T and Custom get all the bells and whistles? Of course not, but for Christs sake give them something better than the interior from 2014.
There is the question of price point.

even in the Savannah, some Are Hyenas, and they do scavenge rotting flesh from … Zebras, and whatever else..

as long as those trucks are offered at the correct price points, there will be takers, given, there is a HUGE ,used market out here…

201 - 220 of 265 Posts