GM Inside News Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,258 Posts
+1
The current "market" for battery electric passenger cars and light trucks is entirely a result of government action and intervention, be it mandates, subsidies, and/or the ridiculous notion that harmless carbon dioxide should be classified as a "pollutant" for regulatory purposes.
In a society where hunger no longer exists, or wars, you have to invent a crisis for the godless to rally againist and feel like they are saving the world.. or involved in something greater than themselves...

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
I don't have a problem w/ credits on EVs to sell...but as I stated before, we should be applying credits to mainstream EVs to put them on equal footing as their ICE Powered counterparts and we should definitely not be subsidizing 100k luxury purchases, looking at you Tesla Model S, X...Lucid Air, BMW, MB MQ, etc. If we want to subsidize Leaf, Bolt, Purchases so that they're relatively cost neutral to a Sonic or Versa, sure...but not for Luxury cars...call it class warfare if you want but its time the little guy gets something out of this too.

·
Registered
20,210 Posts
Model 3 put Tesla on the map and has displaced the BMW 3 series as the leader in the space. Generally, it’s a lease special for the yuppy uptown condo crowd with a corporate job
Interesting thing with Tesla, when the 3 came out is negatively impacted S, the X never sold much, but now that the Y is out, sales of the 3 have tanked, it's almost like one model supersedes the other, but they don't discontinue the old model.

I don't have a problem w/ credits on EVs to sell...but as I stated before, we should be applying credits to mainstream EVs to put them on equal footing as their ICE Powered counterparts and we should definitely not be subsidizing 100k luxury purchases, looking at you Tesla Model S, X...Lucid Air, BMW, MB MQ, etc. If we want to subsidize Leaf, Bolt, Purchases so that they're relatively cost neutral to a Sonic or Versa, sure...but not for Luxury cars...call it class warfare if you want but its time the little guy gets something out of this too.
But should Government be enticing "poor people" be buy over-priced ~$35,000 vehicles that won't be worth more than $10,000 in 4 years?

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Interesting thing with Tesla, when the 3 came out is negatively impacted S, the X never sold much, but now that the Y is out, sales of the 3 have tanked, it's almost like one model supersedes the other, but they don't discontinue the old model.

But should Government be enticing "poor people" be buy over-priced ~$35,000 vehicles that won't be worth more than $10,000 in 4 years?
I don't know about "poor people", surely there's a middle ground between buyers of $100k cars and someone on Section 8. Anyway, for the greater good, and if we're serious about transitioning from fossil fuels then yes lets go for it, why not? it isn't like we haven't been subsidizing EV purchases for the last 10 years anyway, so why stop now, we give away billions in the form of corporate walefare, tax cuts & foreign aid to non beneficial & borderline detrimental "allies", so there's no reason why us mere commoners shouldn't be able to benefit from this great nation as others who are way more "well to do" have and currently are.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

I think there are a couple factors there:

1) Since Tesla is the "cool tech car company", there may be a "latest and greatest" component to their vehicles when new ones launch. i.e. "oh the 3 is the new one, it's cool, I'll get that.....oh the Y is now out, it's cool now! I'll get that, I don't want the 3, it's old!"

2) the S and lesser extent X both have yet to be redesigned, and are long in the tooth design wise.....I know they just gave both new interiors, but I think they're going to regret not giving them full redesigns.

·
Registered
18,188 Posts

Each successive car has better and better technology on it. Y got the heat pump and a little better interior things. Not much but the heat pump is huge for cold weather cars. Plus, the CUV vs car has been talked about over and over here. We all know a CUV sells better.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts

1) Since Tesla is the "cool tech car company", there may be a "latest and greatest" component to their vehicles when new ones launch. i.e. "oh the 3 is the new one, it's cool, I'll get that.....oh the Y is now out, it's cool now! I'll get that, I don't want the 3, it's old!"

2) the S and lesser extent X both have yet to be redesigned, and are long in the tooth design wise.....I know they just gave both new interiors, but I think they're going to regret not giving them full redesigns.
IMHO the 3 was anticipated LONG before it went on sale as it was the "affordable" Tesla and like the BMW 3 VS the 5 the 3 always outsells the 5 and the Y being a "SUV" form VS "sedan" form it has an auto leg up out of the hatch

·
Registered
267 Posts
GM may want to put everyone in an EV, but most people can never have an EV, because they live in apartments or locations witout any ability to charge them. Even my neighbor, who lives with 3 others totalling 4 cars in his driveway every night, would be quite challenged to charge all 4 frequently. His garage is filled with boats, bikes, ATV's and crap.

I am not seeing this sudden switch to EV working out so well. Never mind the challenges to infrastructure or power grids, if suddenly everyone is charging. And what about no more petroleum, that means every house is heated with electric, stoves and water heaters are electric. Heck, what about trucks and trains running nonstop? What about planes. Quite the BS we are being told.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,681 Posts
GM may want to put everyone in an EV, but most people can never have an EV, because they live in apartments or locations witout any ability to charge them. Even my neighbor, who lives with 3 others totalling 4 cars in his driveway every night, would be quite challenged to charge all 4 frequently. His garage is filled with boats, bikes, ATV's and crap.

I am not seeing this sudden switch to EV working out so well. Never mind the challenges to infrastructure or power grids, if suddenly everyone is charging. And what about no more petroleum, that means every house is heated with electric, stoves and water heaters are electric. Heck, what about trucks and trains running nonstop? What about planes. Quite the BS we are being told.
Add to that all of our plastic products as well. This is a bit of an ill advised adventure here in many areas.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Add to that all of our plastic products as well. This is a bit of an ill advised adventure here in many areas.
C'mon man! We can just recycle that plastic over and over again. Get with the program, man!!

·
Premium Member
33,258 Posts
Each successive car has better and better technology on it. Y got the heat pump and a little better interior things. Not much but the heat pump is huge for cold weather cars. Plus, the CUV vs car has been talked about over and over here. We all know a CUV sells better.
I was looking under the hood of a Kia Soul today and was impressed how old school it is in there. One can still make out most of the components that go into an engine bay. Look into most GM FWD offerings and the battery is no where to be found, just wires and more plastics.. and ECU's.

·
Registered
18,188 Posts
I was looking under the hood of a Kia Soul today and was impressed how old school it is in there. One can still make out most of the components that go into an engine bay. Look into most GM FWD offerings and the battery is no where to be found, just wires and more plastics.. and ECU's.
I loathe engine covers and GM is in love with them.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
I loathe engine covers and GM is in love with them.

I agree. GM just following the crowd there. I think some people - who've probably never turned a wrench in their lives - think engine covers make it look more premium under the hood.

Covering up the 5.7 TPI V-8 in my old Trans Am would be sacrilege. It's a beautiful piece of work.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,162 Posts
I didn't notice at first but if you select "Interested in LT" or "Interested in Premier" on the Reserve page it'll show the colors and packages with prices. At the end it will ask for your contact info but I just close the page at that point:

Not quite a full Configurator, that'll come later at some point...

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
4,918 Posts

IMO, this is really simple. The biggest factor is that Tesla's lineup is still very limited. People who didn't need or would normally buy a $100k car used to buy the S and X when those were the only options. When the 3 came out, those folks moved to the 3. And the people who would have liked a CUV bought the 3 because there was no mid-range CUV in the lineup. Now that the Y is here, those folks have moved over.

It's not like the S, X, and 3 have fallen off the planet. They are still among the best selling vehicles in their segments, if not the best selling vehicles.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts