1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News

October 20, 2014

Article Quotes:

Since the stylish, redesigned Chevrolet Impala sedan rolled out in the spring of 2013, General Motors executives have been telling anyone who will listen that its days as a rental-lot staple are over.

So this headline in The New York Times last week couldn't have gone over well at GM headquarters: "You Can Rent Whatever You Want, as Long as It's an Impala."

Columnist Josh Barro argued that, despite the redesign, the Impala continues to be the rental-lot king, with 54 percent of 2014 Impalas becoming rental cars.

That figure suggests that Chevy has failed miserably at its stated goal for the "new" Impala: to invert its sales from 70 percent fleet for the last-generation car to 70 percent retail sales.

Cue the GM PR department.

They informed Barro -- and us -- that only one-third of the redesigned 2014 Impalas went to rental companies. The disconnect: The previous-generation car is still in production, branded as the Impala Limited and sold exclusively to fleets. GM doesn't distinguish the two in its sales reports.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: GM Responds To NYT Impala Article

They informed Barro -- and us -- that only one-third of the redesigned 2014 Impalas went to rental companies.
"One-third" of new generation Impala production is rental? Wow, that's much higher than I would have assumed. However, it does give GM the opportunity to give the rental customer exposure to a vehicle that Consumer Reports rated almost as high as possible.

Perhaps the new generation Impala should have come with a new name.

It must have been an interesting discussion years ago at Chevy planning..."Yea, let's keep the Impala name, add the word "Limited" to the old Impala, (because it worked so well with the last Malibu), and to those of you who want to use the 'Caprice' name - we'll give it to the new imported police vehicle".

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

"One-third" of new generation Impala production is rental? Wow, that's much higher than I would have assumed. However, it does give GM the opportunity to give the rental customer exposure to a vehicle that Consumer Reports rated almost as high as possible.

The new generation Impala should have had a new name; "Caprice" perhaps.
Or perhaps change the name of the old car, instead of Impala Limited. The Malibu old body was just called "Classic" right before it went away.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
They informed Barro -- and us -- that only one-third of the redesigned 2014 Impalas went to rental companies. The disconnect: The previous-generation car is still in production, branded as the Impala Limited and sold exclusively to fleets. GM doesn't distinguish the two in its sales reports.
Then shouldn't GM separate the two models in future sales reports (and have from the beginning) to avoid this type of negative press and confusion.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
GM needs to figure out how to make the next gen Malibu as good as the Impala. Unfortunately the Impala is in a limited segment - people just don't buy large cars as much. Need space? Buy a CUV.

The lack of sales info certainly does help keep the Impala name in the news, though not sure if this kind of coverage helps sell the new Impala.

Beautiful car though, every time I see one I have to look at its flowing lines.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Automotive News

October 20, 2014

Article Quotes:

Since the stylish, redesigned Chevrolet Impala sedan rolled out in the spring of 2013, General Motors executives have been telling anyone who will listen that its days as a rental-lot staple are over.

So this headline in The New York Times last week couldn't have gone over well at GM headquarters: "You Can Rent Whatever You Want, as Long as It's an Impala."

Columnist Josh Barro argued that, despite the redesign, the Impala continues to be the rental-lot king, with 54 percent of 2014 Impalas becoming rental cars.

That figure suggests that Chevy has failed miserably at its stated goal for the "new" Impala: to invert its sales from 70 percent fleet for the last-generation car to 70 percent retail sales.

Cue the GM PR department.

There is a reason GM refuses to disclose the sales figures of the 2014 & 2015 Impala, and the Impala Limited. They are separate models. GM is still playing games with their sales figures.

Full disclosure: I purchased a new 2014 Impala 2LTZ which replaced a 2012 Impala LTZ.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Then shouldn't GM separate the two models in future sales reports (and have from the beginning) to avoid this type of negative press and confusion.
Then they would unzip their fly on how poorly the new model is selling in general.

I like the new Impala and wish it would succeed, but I don't think there is much of a market for it. Either people will spend less and get a mid-sized car, or spend the same and get a mid-sized luxury name plate.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Then they would unzip their fly on how poorly the new model is selling in general.

I like the new Impala and wish it would succeed, but I don't think there is much of a market for it. Either people will spend less and get a mid-sized car, or spend the same and get a mid-sized luxury name plate.
I really like the new Impala but the quality and reliability has been dismal - and the there have been many SAFETY recalls for the new model. New GM? I wish I knew why GM is hiding the sales figures.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
GM: "It's not 54% it's only 33%" (oops did I just say that out loud).........

So let's do the math, GM sells 10-12,000 Impala's a month 5-6,000 are "W" so 5-6,000 is NG, and 33% is rental...... and +/- 3,500-4,000 are retail!? Yeah, you are right GM, the new Impala is doing great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I really like the new Impala but the quality and reliability has been dismal - and the there have been many SAFETY recalls for the new model. New GM? I wish I knew why GM is hiding the sales figures.
This is new GM, Old GM wouldn't have issued recalls for issues until they were major. New GM is issuing recalls for ANYTHING.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
So the Impala really isn't selling as well as it is stated - Total Recall Motors is trying to play this both ways - trying to make it seem like the new Impala is selling well when it is really not and having its volume instead being padded by the old Impala.

Not surprising considering how dishonest this company remains. Witch Bara and Associates.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

"One-third" of new generation Impala production is rental? Wow, that's much higher than I would have assumed.
Ask Ford about the Taurus, or even Fusion. (They won't tell you, but you should ask them)

Perhaps the new generation Impala should have come with a new name.

It must have been an interesting discussion years ago at Chevy planning..."Yea, let's keep the Impala name, add the word "Limited" to the old Impala, (because it worked so well with the last Malibu), and to those of you who want to use the 'Caprice' name - we'll give it to the new imported police vehicle".
It's been done (at GM) before. When the 2004 generation Malibu came out, the previous model continued for a while as the "Malibu Classic" (and I don't remember The New York Times writing about it).

As for a new name I suspect that Chevrolet probably thought, and rightly I think, that the Impala name is simply too important not to use.

How much longer is the old car going to be built?

It should be noted too that GM, as a whole, has the lowest overall percentage of fleet sales of any of the Domestics.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
GM: "It's not 54% it's only 33%" (oops did I just say that out loud).........

So let's do the math, GM sells 10-12,000 Impala's a month 5-6,000 are "W" so 5-6,000 is NG, and 33% is rental...... and +/- 3,500-4,000 are retail!? Yeah, you are right GM, the new Impala is doing great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Probably still pretty good for the segment.

Reactions: guionM

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

It should be noted too that GM, as a whole, has the lowest overall percentage of fleet sales of any of the Domestics.
Fleet sales as a proportion of total sales among General Motors, Ford, and FCA's Chrysler Group in September 2014 were 22%, 24%, and 25% respectively. So while GM did indeed rank lowest last month, its competitors were ahead only slightly.

The more important detail is that GM is the #1 OEM in total fleet sales, and has no intention of giving up that crown.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
GM should not distinguish between the two. This may seem bad, but my guess is it costs GM probably less than $10,000.00 to produce the old Impala. One way or the other, they are making a killing on this car.

There is no need to change names. They just need to keep the current one fresh and up to date. This one is great. They should have this option on their lots

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Say what you will........the new Impala is TRULY the best rental car on any lot.......... how is the new Cadillac version doing ?? If you're lucky to drive away from National with a LTZ 2, and don't notice the the emblem, you won't feel you got the Chevy.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Only GM could end up with two Impalas at the same Rental lot that are two totally unrelated models.

For everyone who drives a 'New Impala' and comes away with a good impression, someone will drive the 'Old Impala" and thing GM is a decade behind the industry.

I'm sure they're making cash off the thing but it seems like a bad business practice.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.