GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, we noted the low percentage of non-GM trades for the new Chevrolet Malibu.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...ate-still-low-transaction-prices-up-5k-62588/

Today, with the announcement of new incentives, GM has tried to do something about it - a $1000 cash incentive will go to buyers of the new Malibu who own a 1999 or newer NON-GM vehicle.

Here are the details:

Malibu Purchase Conquest

Owners/Lessees of 1999 OR NEWER Non-GM car or light truck get the following toward PURCHASE:

2008 Malibu = $1000

Important Criteria:

N/A Smartlease N/A Smartbuy N/A Altlease
N/A GM Employee N/A Dealer Employee N/A Supplier N/A Hybrid

Non GM Vehicle is: Non Buick- Cadillac- Chevrolet- Oldsmobile- Pontiac-GMC-Saab-Saturn-HUMMER.

Non-GM Qualifier vehicle must be a 1999 or newer model. OK to transfer within household with proof of residency retained in deal.

Not required to trade qualifier vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Many of us here will be able to combine the conquest $1000 with the GM Card $1000 for a quick savings of $2000 off a new Malibu.

Here's hoping the AmAx strike will not interfere with Malibu production.

·
Premium Member
34,387 Posts
I might just be able to replace my corolla with the Malibu LTZ, after bluetooth and all the other goodies like navigation become available.
A V6 of course. But, I am also waiting to see what the new Fusion is like. Though I was never a fordophile

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
****ing stupid...but then again, we're talking about General Morons. Every time I see someone with a hint of a functioning brain cell mass at GM they do some stupid crap like this.

You can't make them as fast as you can sell them, so lets make $1000 less profits.....WTF kind of business is that? It they weren't selling, fine, but if you can't make em fast enough, then why give rebates. Whatever hope there was is slowly fading....

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
****ing stupid...but then again, we're talking about General Morons. Every time I see someone with a hint of a functioning brain cell mass at GM they do some stupid crap like this.

You can't make them as fast as you can sell them, so lets make $1000 less profits.....WTF kind of business is that? It they weren't selling, fine, but if you can't make em fast enough, then why give rebates. Whatever hope there was is slowly fading....
Hmm... You have a good point.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
And to you loyal GM clients who have bought nothing but GMs? Sometimes, I just don't understand.

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might just be able to replace my corolla with the Malibu LTZ, after bluetooth and all the other goodies like navigation become available.
Chevy has granted one of your requests for MY09.

From the 2009 Malibu order guide:

CODE UPF
NEW! Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to
vehicle audio system and HMI (Human Machine Interface)
Note: Included and only available with (PDC) Power Convenience
Package.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Thats a good point, but I think their reasoning goes beyond the initial sale. Just getting people out of their import and into a Chevy could have affects down the road with future sales. Plus maybe these people will tell their other import friends.....

Again, I believe this is more of a longer term strategy.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Or you could look at it under the assumption of thought that, "Hey, we're making lots of profit on these and selling tons of them. But we're only selling them to people already loyal to our company as a brand. We're making enough that we can afford to give up a little to get more in the end. Let's give the non-GM loyalists and little more incentive to at least come into the showroom."

I'm sure there are lots of import and non-GM owners out there who have been moved closer to the fence with all the postive buzz and rave reviews but still can't bring themselves to be seen in a Chevy dealership.

Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Thats a good point, but I think their reasoning goes beyond the initial sale. Just getting people out of their import and into a Chevy could have affects down the road with future sales. Plus maybe these people will tell their other import friends.....

Again, I believe this is more of a longer term strategy.
Probably true, if if a Camry owner can put down his Starbucks long enough to dare to sit in a Chevy, I think they'd probably end up buying the Malibu. So I can see your theory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
And to you loyal GM clients who have bought nothing but GMs? Sometimes, I just don't understand.

For the loyal GM buyer there is $1000 owner loyalty rebate for purchase of an 08 Malibu(excl hybrid) with the same stips (99 or newer GM vehicle in household).

·
Premium Member
8,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the loyal GM buyer there is $1000 owner loyalty rebate for purchase of an 08 Malibu(excl hybrid) with the same stips (99 or newer GM vehicle in household).
Thank you very much for the information nd4spd.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's a scam to get non-GM owners in the door. Customers still need to negotiate the trade-in value and all the other crap dealers pull.

And I personally don't believe GM's line that it is selling all the Malibus it CAN build. It is simply selling all the Malibus it has chosen to very slowly build.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
And if you don't own a car at all, there's probably a first time buyer rebate, so they effectively just cut the price of the car by a grand for almost everyone.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Thanks. Wasn't aware of this program.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
It's a scam to get non-GM owners in the door. Customers still need to negotiate the trade-in value and all the other crap dealers pull.

And I personally don't believe GM's line that it is selling all the Malibus it CAN build. It is simply selling all the Malibus it has chosen to very slowly build.
Gee thanks for lumping all dealerships into one steaming pile....
everyone knows dealers are out to rob you blind, rape you then kick your dog!
nice.
What do you do for a living to feed your family?:confused:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
What if I trade in a 2002 Pontiac Vibe? Do I get the $1,000 GM loyalty rebate for it being a Pontiac AND the $1,000 conquest rebate since it is built by Toyota?

Uh, I'm just kidding.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts

I also hate this, but for a slightly different reason...I DESPISE targeted discounts...nothing better than telling someone who is thinking of purchasing your car that since they already own a GM car and not a non-gm car...they can't get the $1000 discount that their neighbor gets. And this works both ways....sometimes it's a "loyalty" discount to you only if you have a GM car....or this is a 'conquest' rebate. Either way.....by doing either of these you are potentially upseting a lot of potential customers with this behavior.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts

Yeah, they should have waited til production caught up or demand ebbed.

Does anyone know how many days supply of Malibus that Chevy has? Last I checked it was a very low 11 days.

Plus with the American Axle strike somewhat affecting/potentially affecting Malibu production, this seems ill-timed. I wonder if the left foot is talking to the right foot?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts