GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
NAFTA and all of the 'Free' Trade deals our traitorous leaders have signed have decimated our manufacturing base and destroyed the Middle Class.
What other country has leaders that export jobs to other countries and then claim it's for their own good?
WTF has happened to this country? Where are our Teddy Roosevelt's?
Big Money wanted More, even if it hurt the little guy.
Wall Street wanted no regulations, so bought politicians until they got what they wanted.
Big Business wanted lower labor costs, so bought politicians to get laws to move our jobs overseas legally.
Now They have 10 trillion+ dollars overseas and want to bring the money home without being taxed. When they buy enough politicians, they will get that as well.
Trump is part of the problem, including using Chinese steel and foreign labor. He is just diverting attention away from his cabinet of Billionaires who will now Push these policies even more.
Look here! Look there! Look everywhere (else,) while we get what we want! Tweet! Tweet! Tweet!

·
Registered
22,401 Posts
It would have to be Chinese stuff in China, U.S. stuff in U.S.
I doubt Chinese cars have much if any U.S. content, but I'm sure U.S. cars have plenty of Chinese content.

A choice will have to be made, whether it be with Mexican, Chinese, Indian or whatever.
Do you want manufacturing jobs or cheap stuff? Pick one!
China has a place in our economy, we can do OK buying from China, I'm not against companies making money (especailly the ones I own stock in) it's not an all or nothing proposition.

Some of the things imported are coming from HCC, in Europe, yet priced similarly.

Why is the Buick Envision so much cheaper than other domestically manufactured competitors? Oh-wait, nevermind........

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,895 Posts
China has a place in our economy, we can do OK buying from China, I'm not against companies making money (especailly the ones I own stock in) it's not an all or nothing proposition.

Some of the things imported are coming from HCC, in Europe, yet priced similarly.

Why is the Buick Envision so much cheaper than other domestically manufactured competitors? Oh-wait, nevermind........
Check the discounts on high spec Envisions. Huge.
I knew they couldn't command those prices and they're getting market corrected.

I don't have a problem with trading with China or anyone else.
I do have a problem with stealing intellectual property and these ridiculous imbalances.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
That plant in mexico never made the cruze sedan before.
They were sending hundreds of body side stampings from Lordstown to mexico daily. Only 4800 made for the US market?

How much did that move the sales needle vs the expense of tooling up a plant for a different model?

Would the engineering support have been put to better use getting Lordstown up to speed compared to the 1st gen or is it even possible to fix it now?

Does anyone think they went through all that effort for only 4,800 cars early in the product cycle?

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I really don't care what country a car is assembled in to be honest. I do a little, but I care just as much about where everything else we buy is assembled. Instead of singling out certain industries or companies..how about doing something that has an impact on EVERYTHING that gets imported?

In the long run, I don't think it will matter as much as we think it matters now. Sure, factories may be coming back to the USA, but the only reason I think they are is that those companies know in the long run (next 5 to 7 years), automation is going to greatly reduce their labor costs (even more than now), so they'll take the good PR and pay higher labor costs for the next couple of years until those labor costs don't matter much anymore.

Besides, I read one time the reason companies (esp auto makers) have plants in Mexico is BECAUSE of the free trade agreements there. They can build a car in Mexico....and ship it to a LOT more countries around the world without having to worry about tarriffs and trade agreements. In the long run, having free trade may make the U.S. MORE attractive for factories here because it is less of a headache for them.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
The Cruze isn't selling well, serves GM right.
Next time make a Compact that looks American, is sized like a true Compact, and has a way to turn off stop-start.
Back to the drawing board, idiots

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The Cruze isn't selling well, serves GM right.
Next time make a Compact that looks American, is sized like a true Compact, and has a way to turn off stop-start.
Back to the drawing board, idiots
Im curious what does American compact car looks like?:)

I like the looks of the Cruze,,but hate front wheel drive,so no way Id ever buy it..

Im still into modding and engine swaps so rear wheel drive is the only way to go..and things like dropping bigger engine into small car is easy way to make a high perf. sleeper w low insurance too..

·
Banned
867 Posts
It would have to be Chinese stuff in China, U.S. stuff in U.S.
I doubt Chinese cars have much if any U.S. content, but I'm sure U.S. cars have plenty of Chinese content.

A choice will have to be made, whether it be with Mexican, Chinese, Indian or whatever.
Do you want manufacturing jobs or cheap stuff? Pick one!
GM Oshawa runs the XTS door lines every night and every weekend to supply doors to China, they might be able to assemble a car but keeping the line running and subassembling quality parts.....not so much. A skilled maintenance department is lacking.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Im curious what does American compact car looks like?:)

I like the looks of the Cruze,,but hate front wheel drive,so no way Id ever buy it..

Im still into modding and engine swaps so rear wheel drive is the only way to go..and things like dropping bigger engine into small car is easy way to make a high perf. sleeper w low insurance too..
I kind of liked the way some of the Cavalier's looked, the Vega as well. I guess nondescript asian looking compacts sell so that's what they were going for
I love RWD as well but it has to be livable. I would love to see GM come put with a Compact RWD Sedan (affordable) but I know it will never happen

·
Premium Member
36,981 Posts
And where were the Twitter-in-chiefs own products made? Yeah right....
Open for suggestions.

American Made Cell Phones

We are compiling an ever growing list of American cell phone manufacturers & brands, including large corporations, small companies and individuals.

There are currently 2 companies in this list, which may include cell phones produced and assembled from materials 100% manufactured here in America, but some may also contain a percentage produced outside the USA.

Home ↔ Electronics ↔ Cell Phones ↓

On this page you'll find the latest information about US made cell phones.

Page created Sept 24, 2015, and the listings last reviewed Monday, November 21, 2016 by Dave Hurley
US Cell Phone Brand & Manufacturers List
Apple
Apple Inc. is an American multinational technology company that is headquartered in Cupertino, California, which designs, develops, and sells consumer electronics. Its hardware products include the iPhone smartphone, the iPad tablet computer, the Mac personal computer, the iPod portable media player, the Apple Watch smartwatch, and the Apple TV digital media player.

Update Nov 18, 2016:

Nikkei Asian Review reports Apple began actively exploring the possibility of an American-made iPhone. Apple Has Asked Partners to Put Together a 'Made in the USA' Plan. They say Apple approached two Chinese companies that share the role of assembling its iPhones to investigate the possibility of making iPhones in U.S. factories.

According to the report, Pegatron declined to follow through with the request. Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd , better known as Foxconn, complied but was said to be less than enthusiastic about the idea. Apple represents over half of Foxconn’s sales and the prospect of its customer moving production from China to American factories is something it wouldn’t have been planning for.

Whether losing the assembly contract altogether to U.S. competitors or being forced to invest in manufacturing plants in the U.S. to keep Apple’s business, an American-made iPhone would not be good news for Foxconn.

Even though Foxconn at least entertained Apple’s request, it too eventually came to the same conclusion as Pegatron. A Foxconn source added, making iPhones in the U.S. means the cost will more than double.

Apple

Moto X - Motorola Mobility LLC
There are more than 130 million smartphones in use in the USA today and not one of them was assembled here...until now...UPDATE...The Moto X is one of the more unique smartphones on the market because folks could customize it and it is one of the few constructed in the United States. Soon, however, Motorola won't be assembling devices in the US of A anymore. The Wall Street Journal reported Motorola plans to shutdown its Mobility Factory in Fort Worth, Texas by the end of 2014. A Motorola spokesperson confirmed the news. Currently the factory employs over 700 Americans to produce the Moto X and operate an essential part of the Moto Maker assembly process. However, Motorola says the closure won't affect the availability of the device or its smartphone customization program. After the factory closure, Moto X production will be moved to China and Brazil, as well as other undisclosed locations.

Moto X - Motorola Mobility LLC

http://usamadeproducts.biz/electronics-cell-phones.html

by Eric Mack
March 7, 2012 3:07 PM PST
In recent months, a lot of gadget makers (but mostly Apple, if we're honest) have faced a lot of public pressure about the working conditions in Chinese factories (mainly those run by Foxconn, if we're honest) where their devices are manufactured. This led me to ask the question last month: could Foxconn workers ever afford one of the iPhones they make? The answer: not without saving up the entirety of their earnings for several months.

All the fuss over the state of manufacturing in China led to another question I've heard from more than one reader in the past week: so, are there any decent smartphones not made in China?

This led to much head-scratching, followed by much more research. The short answer is: yes, but not many and probably not for much longer.

Here's the quick rundown of smartphone makers I found that source their devices, at least in part, from places other than China, with labor standards that are closer to what we might expect in America. But before you read any further, there are some huge caveats to keep in mind.
Related stories

Could a Foxconn factory worker ever afford an iPhone?
Just how big is Foxconn?
Now a billion mobile subscribers in China

For one thing, a smartphone is a complicated device with dozens of components that come from all around the world, and the materials used to make those little components can be traced back to mines, smelters, labs, and other factories around the world. Your phone is a truly global citizen, and the odds are that some of those materials and components pass through China at some point. In fact, some raw materials that eventually wind up in your phone are mined from places in Africa by workers facing far worse hardships than your starting Foxconn worker.

But that's another story and I'm getting off track. Bottom line--our phones and the long industrial path they travel to wind up in our hands are just about as complex as the world we live in, so don't buy one of the phones below just to feel completely righteous the next time the topic of global working conditions comes up at a dinner party.

Then again, if you're interested in a smartphone that was at least assembled in a facility where conditions are a little closer to what you'd expect to see in Michigan rather than Shenzhen, here are your best bets (this is by no means a comprehensive list):

Nokia (N9 and some others)
It's a bit telling that your best chance at buying a Nokia phone actually made in Finland is the N9, which runs the discontinued MeeGo OS. Most of the N9s were made in Scandinavia, and the company also has manufacturing facilities in Hungary and Mexico, but not for long. Last month, Nokia announced it was moving all its device assembly operations to Asia (read China), a transition that's already been in the works for a while.

HTC
While Nokia is moving its phone-making operations out of Europe and into China, HTC is doubling down on keeping much of its production on its home island of Taiwan, with the construction of a new factory there. Last year the company announced plans to build another big production facility in Taiwan to handle increased demand. Check the box on any HTC phone and there's a very good chance it will say made in Taiwan.

BlackBerry
Over the years, Research In Motion has used factories around the world, including in its native Canada, as well as in Hungary and China, to create the parts used in its smartphones and assemble the final product. Last year, RIM moved some of its production operations to a plant in Malaysia. That means there's a much better than average chance of getting a new BlackBerry made somewhere other than China.

Samsung
Buying a flagship Samsung phone like the Galaxy Note is a bit of a crapshoot, with a fair amount made in both China and Korea. Even if you happen to get a Galaxy phone from a shipment that originated in Korea, however, it's likely that plenty of the parts are from China and the phone was merely assembled in South Korea. Samsung has also been making moves to set itself up deeper in China, with a planned new factory on the mainland to make chips for phones.

Apple iPhone
That's right--not all iPhones are created equal, or at least not all of them are created in China. Foxconn also has factories in countries outside Asia, and there have been reports that some new iPhones are already being produced by Foxconn in Brazil. Of course, we've yet to see a big expose on the working conditions at those facilities.

So, to sum it up, if you want a smartphone from somewhere other than China, I'd start with HTC or another of the brands above and give the box a good examination before you buy.

https://www.cnet.com/news/are-any-smartphones-not-made-in-china/

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
And where were the Twitter-in-chiefs own products made? Yeah right....
Well of COURSE a "typical" US business (even Trump's) is going to outsource. The current tax structure and regulatory system pretty much forces it. If you have a company that sells a product completely sourced in the US, you can't compete very well with other companies selling similar products, that source their parts for WAY less money from overseas.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Well of COURSE a "typical" US business (even Trump's) is going to outsource. The current tax structure and regulatory system pretty much forces it. If you have a company that sells a product completely sourced in the US, you can't compete very well with other companies selling similar products, that source their parts for WAY less money from overseas.
If he is going stand on his soapbox and go after companies that outsource SOME product, he better have made an attempt to keep SOME product of his own. Is there ANY of his products that he kept in this country? No? Why do people idolize him then?

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
If he is going stand on his soapbox and go after companies that outsource SOME product, he better have made an attempt to keep SOME product of his own. Is there ANY of his products that he kept in this country? No? Why do people idolize him then?
I really don't think ANYBODY idolizes him. They just hated (and feared) him LESS than his opponent. And I see the companies called out by him as victims too. They're businesses, of COURSE they're going to try to minimize their costs. The system that drives them to outsource extensively is what he is looking to fix.

But sure, I agree, I think it WOULD be a good idea for him to complain about his own company having to outsource. Because truthfully, this controversy has nothing to do with any one company outsourcing, it's about how the system PUSHES it on pretty much ALL businesses.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The point is Trump and his so called products like Premium priced shirts and ties could have been manufactured in this country because they did not NEED super cheap labor. Cheap products need the cheaper labor to compete while high priced items can be made with higher paid labor. It is harder to market a high end or expensive product when people know it was made with cheap labor. The reason to do so comes down to the bottom line and some may say greed.

Auto manufactures mostly choose less expensive products to be made south of the boarder than the US because of that thinking. Sure, I would love to have US manufacture products like toasters to TVs here but going after the manufactures that are here now is dumb.....FIRST come up with a whole plan instead of just tweet-attacking our companies.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.