GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down 9% overall, but great year for Cadillac and GM maintains strong market share position...

GM Reports December Sales of 447,900, Down 9 Percent From Record Year-Ago Levels

General Motors dealers sold 447,900 new cars and trucks in December, down 9 percent compared to record sales levels in December 2002. GM's overall truck sales (278,406) were down 11 percent. Car sales (169,494) were down 5 percent. In December 2002, GM had exceptional sales results (473,663) and more than a 32-percent market share.

GM calendar-year sales were down a modest 2 percent in 2003. For the third consecutive year, GM set an industry sales record for trucks. It also established a new industry benchmark for sales of sport utility vehicles. Five of GM's 9 brands had sales gains for the calendar year, led by an 8 percent sales increase at Cadillac, which had its best sales year since 1990, and GMC's tenth calendar-year sales record in 11 years.

"Both GM and the industry continue to show significant sales momentum as we head into the new year," said John Smith, group vice president of GM North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "During the second half of 2003, the industry selling rate was approximately 17.5 million units, and GM's market share was above 28.5 percent. Given this momentum and the rapidly improving U.S. economy, we are optimistic about the outlook for 2004. Supporting our growth will be the launch of another 13 all-new models this year, including the Cadillac STS, Chevrolet Equinox and Cobalt, Saab 9-2X, Pontiac G6 and HUMMER H2 SUT."

more...

·
Registered
94 Posts
2010 will be the first year that domestics actually increase their market share because it takes about 10 years to convince the general public about a companies new "image".

Until then, GM better make their losses as minimal as possible because for the next couple of years, it will take an unbelievable amount of advertising, and public acceptance of the "new" General Motors Corporation in order for them to actually increase their market share without bombarding us with incentives and "beefed" up fleet car and rental sales.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I know the general is apying attention to this so I will say that they need to get the job done now and not wait anymore. Some of the new products they are coming out with is still pretty bad . Like the equinox we love the desihn the interior but the engine sucks and they need to know that professional guys aged 28-37 are at that age where they have started families and want not just simple stuff anymore we want more urban stuff with dvd movie systems in our suvès and custom SUV that come in highrider versions and street versions. What i mean by highrider version is a nicely done package for the equinox that does not have all the tacky ground effects i want a clean look with bush bars and integrated side steps for fishing but nice enough to look sleeek on the streets ... come on gm take the challenge make this smart 4x4.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts