GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

GM is having more problems with keys.

In all new full-size GM trucks and SUVs, which covers the 2014-15 Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban along with the GMC Sierra 1500, Yukon and Yukon XL, the shift column can come into contact with the head of the key, causing the vehicle to shut off. This is only possible when the steering column is adjusted to its highest position.

GM is not conducting a recall over this issue, as investigators determined it is not a safety defect as it only happens when the driver has his or her foot on the brake and the vehicle is not moving. A technical service bulletin was issued on November 6 of this year along with instructions for dealers to replace the keys of owners who complain about the issue. Redesigned keys began production in February of 2014.

This year alone, GM has to recall 2.6 million vehicles for faulty ignition switches and an additional 11 million for other ignition-related issues.
For more on this story, GM Replacing Keys on New SUVs, Trucks please visit AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
21,315 Posts

·
Registered
21,315 Posts
What do the new keys look like? I actually like the way my key looks.
I'm wondering too, this is what the key looked like on the 2014 Silverado that I had in August, I hated it, very bulky (Key & Fob) compared to my 2013.

Reactions: roy219

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
+1 point: Ram

Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Audio equipment Auto part

·
Registered
21,315 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That is the "gear selector" we are talking about the key.............. :think:
True, but with a rotary gear selector, the size of key no longer matters.

I honestly don't understand why GM would want to make keys this size anyway.

Reactions: bballr4567

·
Registered
21,315 Posts
True, but with a rotary gear selector, the size of key no longer matters.

I honestly don't understand why GM would want to make keys this size anyway.
I gotcha now, sorry for the confusion, but to your point yeah, OMG the key & fob is big and clunky.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
This actually has happened to me a few times in my old 2000 Blazer. I thought I was crazy.
You were. Then your Good Angels led you here, and you were CURED!!

EASY button please. :drive:

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
In for pic of new keys.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I'm wondering too, this is what the key looked like on the 2014 Silverado that I had in August, I hated it, very bulky (Key & Fob) compared to my 2013.

Thanks for posting that photo, Ed753. At least the RKE fob is shiny! :cool:

·
Registered
5,366 Posts

I think that is the new key. In the story it says that trucks sold before February are the only ones affected. I bought my HC in March and it has the exact same key and fob as the one you posted.

Now I'm interested to see what the old key looks like.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Production trucks from early/mid 2014 already have the updated key. It was a rolling production change and are being offered as a fix for those that run into the issue. Happens at full upward tilt.

The new key has a shorter, wider and rounded head. My 2015hd had them from build.

I think that is the new key. In the story it says that trucks sold before February are the only ones affected. I bought my HC in March and it has the exact same key and fob as the one you posted.

Now I'm interested to see what the old key looks like.
That pic you quoted above, that is the old design.

This is the new one:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
As is the norm when GM offers replacement keys, the original key although too long, had a nice shape, with detail and looked crisp. The replacement key, aside from the bowtie, looks like a generic hardware store replacement.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.