GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.leftlanenews.com

GM reopening two plants thanks to axle shipments from Mexico

GM will reopen two assembly plants in April thanks to a supply of axles from an American Axle plant in Mexico. Earlier this week, GM shifted axle supplies from its SUV production plant in Arlington, Texas to two plants that build pick-up trucks, which came from the same Guanajuato, Mexico plant.

The Mexican plant supplies GM's Silao, Mexico assembly plant as well as the Texas location, and has been shipping parts throughout the American Axle strike in the U.S., as it was not affected. The plant could be contracted to ship more parts to GM's Oshawa plant, which is set to re-open later this month, according to Automotive News.

Furthermore, the Canadian Oshawa plant is slated to build the upcoming Camaro, and UAW officials are concerned American Axle will ship parts for that vehicle from Mexico, some 2,000 miles away, instead of the Buffalo plant, which is just 120 miles away. Such a move would show the UAW they can prolong the strike, while keeping GM somewhat happy with as much parts as they can manage.

Full bargaining is still set to resume between the UAW and American Axle on Wednesday.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Yeah!!! Our amigos from Mexico strike again! I bet the deal was that the workers would only make them if they could hand deliver them into the US.

·
Registered
464 Posts
What? They aren't being delivered to the Lucerne/DTS Plant?

BUT WHAT ABOUT ALL THE EAGER CUSTOMERS?

owait

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
That would be ironic if the UAW held back the CAW built Camaro, in turn they have to get the parts from Mexico.
Oshawa comes back on line later this month eh? Nice to know. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
THis would really be a cleaver thing if there wasn't a 110 day supply of trucks around.

I understand what your saying but the day supply is way lower in Canada. We need trucks!! We have eight left on the lot that gives us maybee a month and a half supply. We also have a record number of factory orders this year due to GM changing their ordering sytem. So I don't care where the axles come from get them here to get us some trucks!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I understand what your saying but the day supply is way lower in Canada. We need trucks!! We have eight left on the lot that gives us maybee a month and a half supply. We also have a record number of factory orders this year due to GM changing their ordering sytem. So I don't care where the axles come from get them here to get us some trucks!
eight is a month and a half??? I have over 100 trucks and feel like we are running low.

·
Registered
441 Posts
eight is a month and a half??? I have over 100 trucks and feel like we are running low.
He's up here in Canada. We don't sell in great volume like you guys do down in the states. Most people buy Cobalts up here, not Silverados.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
He's up here in Canada. We don't sell in great volume like you guys do down in the states. Most people buy Cobalts up here, not Silverados.
I see. I only have 5 Cobalts, 3 Malibu's and 2 Impalas. I wish I had as many cars as I do even HD Silverado's (not including Aveo, we have near 40 planned ahead there).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I hardly laugh out loud. when an American factory is eclipsed by a non-US source. as a matter of fact as someone in the supplier network for years it usually maddens me to no end.

however, also dealing with the unions when we were just trying to make more, better, parts and constantly fighting uphill battles, I believe this is a move in the right direction, we have to be competitive as a country. our production capacity is what makes us a true force in the global economy. hopefully with the drop in the dollar and acts of defiance like this we will teach the unions that we need to get back to rocking and rolling... PLEASE make our country competitive again and the money will follow.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I pray that these are built to the same quality standards as the UAW-sourced ones. It would be a PR disaster for GM if they need to be recalled. The press would blame any Mexican axle failure on "GM's sellout of the American worker".

I don't blame GM for outsourcing the work as the UAW coupled with complacent management have been dragging the company down in one way or another for awhile now. GM has to remain competitive. They just better pull out all of the stops to ensure that they're getting a quality part, otherwise they should just ride out the strike.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I pray that these are built to the same quality standards as the UAW-sourced ones. It would be a PR disaster for GM if they need to be recalled. The press would blame any Mexican axle failure on "GM's sellout of the American worker".

I don't blame GM for outsourcing the work as the UAW coupled with complacent management have been dragging the company down in one way or another for awhile now. GM has to remain competitive. They just better pull out all of the stops to ensure that they're getting a quality part, otherwise they should just ride out the strike.
trust me those parts are good my grandfathers Tahoe/Sonora has them and that truck is running good

·
Registered
68 Posts
Screw it, keep getting them from Mexico, hard to drive a hard bargain when your product isn't needed... :lmao:
I'm with you, Hoss. The UAW is a parasite that doesn't comprehend that when it kills the host it is sucking the life out of, it, in turns dies! I think back to a time not too long ago when I was giving one of our female flyers (USAF) crap for buying a Honda. Her reply, and it was quick, decisive, and honest was: I'll buy Japanese cars until the US can build one without giving my money to the #@cking unions." She was one sharp officer, I will say!!! Bye Bye UAW, we got Mexico!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Dude what the heck. GM Wentzville has orders that put us on OT. I talked to a dealer when truck shopping with my dad and they said that had a customers waiting on our vans. Bleck.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Striking during a recession has to be the biggest bone-headed move american axle union workers could have done. Having a job at all is pretty good right now while things are getting tight. I want to see jobs stay in america, but I won't shed a tear for these folks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts