Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM Removing "Mark of Excellence" Badge From Products
Say goodbye to the little GM badge!
www.gminsidenews.com
August 22, 2009
By: Nick Saporito

Back in late 2005 General Motors announced that the 2006 model-year would start the beginning of the GM "Mark of Excellence" badge being placed on all GM vehicles. The little chrome GM badge was first added to the 2006 Pontiac G6 and eventually trickled to every GM product in the stable. This was an effort to build the GM brand up in perception and be a symbol of quality from General Motors. Immediately following the addition, controversy surrounded. Some were in favor of the apparently marketing push for the GM brand, others hated the idea and went so far as removing the badges on their own vehicles. Well, three years later GM is planning to remove the GM "Mark of Excellence" badges from all vehicles.

GMI has yet to hear of why GM is removing the little badges. It could be to cut rather unneeded costs or it could be newly-placed marketing czar Bob Lutz's call. It would seem that in an effort to promote the individual "core" divisions (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC) identities, they may be wanting to separate the brands from each other by removing the shared corporate badge.

GMI has been able to confirm that the GM badge has already been removed from the all-new 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. The move to remove it from the new 'Nox was made on August 19th, so any units built after that date will not feature the badge. It is expected that the rest of the GM lineup will be following suit soon.

Thanks for the tip Fenwick!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Good news imo.

·
Banned
213 Posts
i might be reading to much into this but......

could it mean that these products don't meet the "mark of excellence" standard?"

or

could it simply be to cut costs, after all the gm logo is on most car keys right?

·
Super Moderator
21,013 Posts
Sure thing nsap.

From my sources, GM's trying to put more focus on the brands now rather than the company as a whole. I'm guessing that's why.

Meh. I liked the badges, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Sounds good to me. There was a lot of question back when they started it whether it was a good or bad idea and I don't really see how it did any good over the last few years. A waste of money it would seem.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I am pretty neutral on this decision. Either way I know what products are GM.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's been false advertising since the 70's anyway. Its a wonder they haven't been sued over it. Today it should read "GM-Mark of Death"

·
Registered
64 Posts
i might be reading to much into this but......

could it mean that these products don't meet the "mark of excellence" standard?"

or

could it simply be to cut costs, after all the gm logo is on most car keys right?
NEITHER...It is simply to promote the 4 remaining brands individually and not the new General Motors Company...

·
Registered
334 Posts
I actually liked them but can understand from the perspective that they want to push the brands.

I will have to save the ones my Corvette.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I liked them. I wanted to get some for my Silverado.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Awww. I really liked the little GM badge. But, in the same breath, since they are removing the badge, no one can spot that a GM is a GM, and people will actually look at the products.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
The GM pimple is going to go?

Think of the human effort that's going to waste. I bet thousands of hours of executive time went into making the tough decision to put the pimples on the cars. Think of the wasted meetings and memos. Tragic.

But I bet the boys down at the Design Center are pleased.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Personally I am very glad. I don't like unnecessary badges on any vehicle. I couldn't stand these when they came out and never grew accustomed to them. I also think that GM has a bad reputation surrounding it (however unwarranted) due to the fact that they took government money and the more that they separate each individual brand from the company as a whole, the better.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
First off- the symbol is the General Motors symbol, period; it hasn't read 'Mark of Excellence' since... I'd guess the early '70s. It was dubbed so in '68, IIRC (when it first went GM blue)- prior to that it was gold & black and read "GM" AND "General Motors". There never was a defined 'standard of excellence' set of criteria.

I was never in favor of promoting the parent corporation, which has no branded vehicles under that 'badge'; the divisional brands should always be promoted only.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts