http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=&mid=WKA2008091040756&mime=JPG

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=&mid=WKA2008091040774&mime=JPG

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=&mid=WKA2008091040470&mime=JPG

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=&mid=WKA2008091040373&mime=JPG

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=&mid=WKA2008091040398&mime=JPG

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=&mid=WKA2008091040421&mime=JPG

http://autodeadline.com/detail?source=&mid=WKA2008091040446&mime=JPG

Camaro Convertible Delayed?

The 2010 coupe will go into production in February. The convertible might be pushed back to the 2012 model year because of cost constraints.

Update On (Possible) 4-Cylinder Camaro:

The Camaro was developed on GM's global rwd Zeta vehicle architecture, which was created by GM's Holden subsidiary in Australia. V-6 and V-8 engines will be offered. GM insiders say the turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine once mentioned by product chief Bob Lutz is likely too weak. GM will build the Camaro in Oshawa, Ontario.

Source: Automotive News

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: GM Releases More 2010 Camaro Photos; AN Reports Convertible May Be Delayed

Damn, that and the new Challenger are the best looking cars available today. I can't wait to see these things in person. The challenger does not disappoint, this won't either.

·
Registered
907 Posts
4-Cyl too weak? I bet it has more to do with gearing vs the weight of the car. For a car of this size you need torque and even as nice an engine as the turbo 4 is, does it really have the torque to move this car at a speed worthy of the Camaro name. Plus as long as people equate 4-cyl with cheap, could they make the Camaro any cheaper with the 4-cyl engine.

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Camaro Convertible Delayed?

The 2010 coupe will go into production in February. The convertible might be pushed back to the 2012 model year because of cost constraints.
Cost constraints or possibly the same problem BMW had with the Mini convertible. Why slow first/second year production to insert the convertible? Wait for the inevitable sales slowdown and then produce fresh product.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Cost constraints or possibly the same problem BMW had with the Mini convertible. Why slow first/second year production to insert the convertible? Wait for the inevitable sales slowdown and then produce fresh product.
That makes some sense, I can't believe this is a high priority car anymore either. If it wasn't so close it would likely be cancelled IMO.

I wonder what they mean by the 4-cyl being weak? Not fast enough or it requires so much boost on a regular basis that the fuel economy isn't enough of an improvement over the 3.6L to make it worth while?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
OK I'm bored with the Camaro already, let's see the Firebird!!! :D

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
4-Cyl too weak? I bet it has more to do with gearing vs the weight of the car. For a car of this size you need torque and even as nice an engine as the turbo 4 is, does it really have the torque to move this car at a speed worthy of the Camaro name. Plus as long as people equate 4-cyl with cheap, could they make the Camaro any cheaper with the 4-cyl engine.
Torque doesn't exist as a factor that is why there are gears :lmao:

But yes as a 260 hp engine when the V6 is already 300 it isn't a "performance" option...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
A 3,900 pound pony car. 500 pounds heavier than the last Camaro and Firebird. There is a lot about the new Camaro that is OUTSTANDING, but that weight is just insane.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Has no one at GM ever read "The Tipping Point?" By the time they release the desirable version/s nobody cares. I suspect, with the exception of Camaro enthusiasts, the actual Camaro introduction will be a major yawn.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
My guess is the turbo 4 would not be slow, but severely strained; the turbo would be the motivation for getting the vehicle in motion, even in daily use. Thus, I think the turbo 4 would burn out in 50k to 75k miles.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hell GM can't get the convertible out anytime sooner than 2012. You can expect your Firebird to arrive 2222.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Re: GM Releases More 2010 Camaro Photos; AN Reports Convertible May Be Delayed

Damn, that and the new Challenger are the best looking cars available today. I can't wait to see these things in person. The challenger does not disappoint, this won't either.

The Camaro is not available today. The Challenger has been in the showrooms for some time.

·
Registered
812 Posts
i agree.

how do you market "muscle" w/o implying "fuel-thirsty"?

how do you market "fuel-consumption-conscious" w/o implying "slow eco-box"?

·
Registered
201 Posts
From what I've read, they weren't considering the 260hp version because its mileage wouldn't really be any better than the 3.6L. (The Solstice GXP gets only 2mpg better and is much lighter.) I think they were looking at a 216hp or so version from Europe.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Ok, so the 2.0 might not be up to the task. What about a turbo'd version of the upcoming 2.3 DI 4-cyl from the Equinox? Isn't that expected to make 210hp without turbos? Add boost to pump up the torque and power, adapt the gearing, etc. etc.

Or what about the upcoming 3.0 DI V6?

I just wonder if any of these engine options would offer enough fuel savings to talk about. I don't think you're ever going to see 30 mpg highway in this Camaro

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
When GM presented the next generation of BAS, we read about a 2.4 L DI turbo, coupled with BAS II.

If a 2.0 L DI turbo can achieve 260 hp and 260 lb.-ft., a 2.4 L with the same tech can easily be tuned for 280 and without to much turbo lag.

I' just dreaming here.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Agree 100%

But who wants a 4-cylinder Camaro anyway? Unless it'll cost $18. That's why there's a Solstice coupe (GXP I hope).
At least they are realizing how dumb their own statements are before it's too late.
Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of this "let's put lame engines in everythin' we got" insanity that GM has been suffering of late.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
disappointing rear end... nothing really there visually to spruce up the rump. Should have had a painted black bar go along the are betwen the lights - old school style.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts