·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Channelling Chevrolet

Terry Martin
2 July 2008
www.goauto.com.au

GM premium brands local boss refuses to rule out Chevrolet joining Cadillac here.

The head of General Motors’ premium brands in Australia has refused to commit to Chevrolet joining Cadillac, Saab and Hummer, despite forthcoming global models such as the Volt plug-in hybrid and the Holden-developed Camaro coupe.

“I can’t comment on those vehicles, but I can tell you that as far as the premium channel is concerned, we are using the synergy of three brands – Saab, Hummer and then Cadillac – to build our dealer network, to build profitability into our dealer network and to build a real premium alternative to our competitors, be it German or Japanese,” GM Premium Brands director Parveen Batish told GoAuto last week.

Click here to continue article

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
DUMB!
If Chevrolet is gonna be GM's global brand... then there is no excuse for Chevrolet to NOT be in Australia.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't see Toyota selling Scion or Daihatsu in Australia. Maybe they think the market's too small for multiple brands to be as profitable or it would pollute the brand image in some way? Just a thought.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't see Toyota selling Scion or Daihatsu in Australia. Maybe they think the market's too small for multiple brands to be as profitable or it would pollute the brand image in some way? Just a thought.

I think Chevrolet could do well with a Volt, Camaro, Corvette, Silverado lineup.

Just for some extra marketing punch, badge the Insignia as a Chevrolet to give more mass-market credibility.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
5 brands downunder is a bit much, but Saab, Caddy, and HUMMER are all very unique. A Chevy is not so unique to Holden, though a European Chevy is! Thus, there is room for Chevy as long as it is sourced from Korea and maybe a few of the N.A. Chevy's, such as: Volt, Malibu, Silverado, Canyon(?), Suburban and Traverse or something close to that.

I have often wondered why very few full-sized pickups in Australia? My guess is because of tariffs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
if japanese are the target market seems more like to add Buick then Chevy

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Would it make sense to possibly have Pontiac be somewhat of a global brand somewhere in the world?? Like Buick is in China.

·
Registered
489 Posts
or add Buick and branding 'vette as a brand.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Would it make sense to possibly have Pontiac be somewhat of a global brand somewhere in the world?? Like Buick is in China.
not really unless they do just niche vehicles which would 'vette branded, but to a extend they are global just under Holden name plate, just like Saturn and Opel-Vauxhall.Saves names time money and branding.to strt these brands from nothing would take years which gm doesn't have plus the payoff to kill brands.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
5 brands downunder is a bit much, but Saab, Caddy, and HUMMER are all very unique. A Chevy is not so unique to Holden, though a European Chevy is! Thus, there is room for Chevy as long as it is sourced from Korea and maybe a few of the N.A. Chevy's, such as: Volt, Malibu, Silverado, Canyon(?), Suburban and Traverse or something close to that.

actually, bringing the euro chevs would be a bad idea, because they're already Holdens here.

Chevy isnt seen as a cheap/crappy car company here in Australia. When an Australian thinks of a Chev, they're think of the Camaro and Corvettes of old. 99% of us wouldnt know anything about there being small fwd chevs.

IMO, Chev DOES have a place here in Australia, but only for the Corvette, Camaro, Volt, and a decent truck. Holden has the small/cheap market covered.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
DUMB!
If Chevrolet is gonna be GM's global brand... then there is no excuse for Chevrolet to NOT be in Australia.
Are you serious?

Holden is the Chevrolet of Australia. There's NO good reason to sell Chevrolet in Australia. Holden is already GM's mainstream, all things to all people brand in Australia and New Zealand.

Becoming "aware" of the existence of Holden and what they're doing at GM HQ is probably the worst thing that could have happened to them.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Are you serious?

Holden is the Chevrolet of Australia. There's NO good reason to sell Chevrolet in Australia. Holden is already GM's mainstream, all things to all people brand in Australia and New Zealand.

Becoming "aware" of the existence of Holden and what they're doing at GM HQ is probably the worst thing that could have happened to them.

GM management just don't seem to get-it. Why would GM spend the millions needed to do this when in their home market they cannot stop the market share decline? If the money is available spend it to improve the existing Holden line-up. People are now demanding economical cars - these come from Daewoo and Opel.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I have often wondered why very few full-sized pickups in Australia? My guess is because of tariffs.
Very long story..but Tarrifs are only part of it. If you search for F150, Silverado in the Australian section, you will see the previous lengthy arguments, why they are not sold here or many others places globally.
GM management just don't seem to get-it. Why would GM spend the millions needed to do this when in their home market they cannot stop the market share decline? If the money is available spend it to improve the existing Holden line-up. People are now demanding economical cars - these come from Daewoo and Opel.
Absolutely desperate measures by a company that does not know what to do.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
but only for the Corvette, Camaro, Volt, and a decent truck.
I would very much even doubt that lineup. Corvette? How many would they sell? It will be years before the produce a RHD version. Camaro, HSV already produces muscle cars, why do they need an internal competitor? Volt I have huge doubts about it's viability.; Decent Truck? If GMC had decent midsize trucks they would not have been falling on Isuzu designs and engines. Pickups? see the previous arguments how non-viable they are on this forum.

·
Premium Member
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only Chevrolet products that should be sold in down this way as Chevrolet's are Camaro and Corvette. Any Chevrolet/GMC trucks and SUV's should be sold as Holden's.

With the Volt, it may be unique now, but as time goes on more and more electric vehicles of all shapes and sizes are going to be produced by GM and sold under different brands in the US and other parts of the world and as such I believe that if the Volt reaches Aussie shores it should be sold as a Holden.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
I'll predict that in ten years in Australia you will have GM-Stores and most of them on one side will sell Holden’s and on the other side Chevrolets.

The Holden’s will have reverted to Holden & Opel premium product (no entry level) with some US derived light commercials (sourced from Thailand/US/China). Holden will be the GM brand for hybrid and other leading edge technology as it can support the higher costs.

The Chevrolets will be Daewoo and Shanghai-GM product with some possible US product all of which will be a full range of small to medium sized cost-competitive / traditional economical cars and small to large cheap crossovers/people carriers. The large crossovers/people carriers will replace entry level Commodore for cheap family and taxi/fleet duty.

Some select GM-Stores will also carry the near-luxury and luxury range of Saab/Cadillac (no Hummer).

;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Actually, Toyota withdrew Daihatsu from the Australian market 3 or 4 years ago, due to years and years of no sale growth and a small product lineup.

As recently as 2 years ago, Toyota had been toying with the idea of introducing the Scion badge here in Australia and aiming it at the 'youth' market, like that of the US, but as yet, nothing has happened.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I'll predict that in ten years in Australia you will have GM-Stores and most of them on one side will sell Holden’s and on the other side Chevrolets.

The Holden’s will have reverted to Holden & Opel premium product (no entry level) with some US derived light commercials (sourced from Thailand/US/China). Holden will be the GM brand for hybrid and other leading edge technology as it can support the higher costs.

The Chevrolets will be Daewoo and Shanghai-GM product with some possible US product all of which will be a full range of small to medium sized cost-competitive / traditional economical cars and small to large cheap crossovers/people carriers. The large crossovers/people carriers will replace entry level Commodore for cheap family and taxi/fleet duty.

Some select GM-Stores will also carry the near-luxury and luxury range of Saab/Cadillac (no Hummer).

;)
Probably correct.
Just as the PBG (&S?) chain is a combo to match the full breadth of the Chev brand, the GM brand would be a combo to match the breadth of the Holden (Opel assisted) range.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts