·
Premium Member
21,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM Recalling 117,000 Sedans, Crossovers, SUVs, Pickups and Vans
AutoBlog
October 2, 2014
By: Brandon Turkus

General Motors has issued a stop-sale to dealers and has notified the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration of its intention to recall 117,000 vehicles in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Of those vehicles, only 4,500 are at dealerships.

The affected vehicles include the Cadillac CTS and Chevrolet Impala sedans, fullsize SUVs (Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe and Suburban and GMC Yukon and Yukon XL), Lambda-platform crossovers (Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia), heavy-duty pickups (Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD) and fullsize vans (Chevy Express and GMC Savana). The sedans and body-on-frame SUVs include model years 2013 and 2014, while the CUVs, heavy-duty pickups and vans are limited to MY2014.

Full article available at link.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I remember when pretty much everything in a vehicle was designed, produced and installed by the manufacturer. There weren't many recalls then. Of course the cars weren't anywhere as good or efficient as they are now.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,802 Posts
I remember when pretty much everything in a vehicle was designed, produced and installed by the manufacturer. There weren't many recalls then. Of course the cars weren't anywhere as good or efficient as they are now.
True. Though from my understanding, the new deals that GM has with it's component suppliers is that if that suppliers part is defective, that company has to pay for most (if not all) of the recall cost.

I had 2009 GMC Acadia with the heated washer fluid option (potential fire problem), the company couldn't afford the recall, and as a result they went bankrupt and folded. GM did the recall and just disconnected the heater unit.

Though these recalls may not financially hurt GM, at this point after the ignition switch fiasco, it can ding them some.

The good thing I see in this is that GM is now more proactive in the quality of its vehicles.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Not enough of the blame is being put on the suppliers here. GM is left to take all the heat. This same module might be sold in other makes and models across the country a'la the Honda airbag scenario. (Which is a bigger story but has disappeared for some reason. Funny how the blame went right to the supplier on that one.)

I honestly think because its GM you won't get the full story. The "media" will stop with the low-hanging fruit.

I think in general, however, the public has become indifferent to all these recall stories. It might be GM's saving grace.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yeah, no one seems to car about Honda...

But then, that's always been the case in self-loathing america... Destroy our own and sell our souls to our (economic) enemies.
There are some things we should be embarrassed about, for sure. GM is the poster child for that. But when there's an honest attempt made at righting the ship (America loves a come back) I don't see why the media feels the need to keep opening the wounds.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Yeah, no one seems to car about Honda...

But then, that's always been the case in self-loathing america... Destroy our own and sell our souls to our (economic) enemies.
Yeah you are so right about that. Sad isnt it.

Anyway, im not into the hand wringing with this latest recall. Yes its annoying and kinda unexpected but better they do the right thing and get it over with. Always stand by your customer and do right by them. If there are failing components/defective parts run a recall and take care of the customer.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My mom is fed up with recalls to her Acadia, trips to the dealer and an incompetent dealer at that. She has purchased only gm her entire life but is getting rid of her Acadia this weekend and looking at kia and Hyundai on recommendation of friends. Way to go gm. I donr blame my mom. That Acadia has been s**t. All these recalls are doing damage to perceptions of gm.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
My mom is fed up with recalls to her Acadia, trips to the dealer and an incompetent dealer at that. She has purchased only gm her entire life but is getting rid of her Acadia this weekend and looking at kia and Hyundai on recommendation of friends. Way to go gm. I donr blame my mom. That Acadia has been s**t. All these recalls are doing damage to perceptions of gm.
The new Toyota Highlander are supposed to be impressive SUV's as well so tell her to check those out. Though old, the Honda Pilot is a solid pick as well and since they are being replaced with a new model next year they have a decent amount off sticker.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.