Registered
8,966 Posts
Is +40% over last years number good?
- I don't know, but...............

Hyundai/Kia: +74%
Mazda: +73%
Nissan: +70%
Toyota: +73%
Last year was such an oddball year it really doesn't tell us much. I would rather see it compared to the year before but the reality is that sales this year are unusual as well.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Don't forget they were just launching the CT4/5 in Q2 2020 and barely had any vehicles in the pipeline, then throw in the Covid shut down and the YOY percentages look brilliant.

I'm not to sure about how well the CT4/5 are doing as I'm still getting notices of money one their hoods - I'd think if they were selling super-well there wouldn't be so much incentive money. But, time will tell once we are past this chip shortage.

I think of it as the CT5/CT4 jinx. Everything that could go wrong went wrong, GM labor strike, pandemic, then suspended production due to semi-conductor shortage. And return to full production doesn’t happen until August 19th, if I recall correctly,

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Don't forget they were just launching the CT4/5 in Q2 2020 and barely had any vehicles in the pipeline, then throw in the Covid shut down and the YOY percentages look brilliant.

I'm not to sure about how well the CT4/5 are doing as I'm still getting notices of money one their hoods - I'd think if they were selling super-well there wouldn't be so much incentive money. But, time will tell once we are past this chip shortage.
Just checked right here: available CT5s across the nation according to Autotrader:

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
The better metric is to look at 2021 vs 2019, take out the noise of how much each company was down 2020 vs. 2019.
Sure, but even that doesn't work, because the manufactures went from trying to keep some of everything on the lot to, just keep what we can turn quick and make a lot of money on.

Last year was such an oddball year it really doesn't tell us much. I would rather see it compared to the year before but the reality is that sales this year are unusual as well.
The current number and certainly YOY are basically worthless, just sell what you can and make the most money on it.

--------------------------------------------------

Here is my anecdotal/related real-life story:

Our business unit had not passed a price increase to our customers in years, I was instructed to work on it when I came back from furlough in Mid-May 2020, I went back and forth with operations and sales, we finally agreed, the end number was about a 4.5% increase. We then had to get upper management to agree (even though they are the ones that gave us the goal of increasing margins!) Since most of the customers have in their agreements, that we must give them a 90-day notice, we notified on October 1st, and the price increase became effective January 1st (2021). So something I started working on in May 2020, finally went live in January 2021.

We started off this year a bit slow, as some customers, entered extra orders in November and December, to lock-in the old/lower pricing, by March we were back to normal volume, but because January and February were low, we ended Q1 under "plan" (higher prices, but lower volume). Then all of our competitors (who get a lot of their product from China) started filling orders at 50-60%, we were able to keep our order-fill up at/above 90%. (we are currently about 85%)

We easily beat our April and May sales goal, and June was an all-time record month, about 25% over plan.

Currently, I'm in the middle of a fire-drill, raising prices another 5%; (mostly cost driven) and customers aren't even flinching; just give-me-product!

Where we will end the year? I have no idea, but things are good right now.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,637 Posts
I dug up the 2Q19 info (pre-pandemic) for comparison, back then they sold around 1.4m cars YTD versus 1.3m this year. Figure at least 100K sales lost due to chips?

Interesting too is that there isn't squat on the lots at this point. Makes me think people were/are taking whatever they could/can get from where ever they could sort of just to have something new. Or it least it kind of seems that way because dealers seem to always have a number of less desirable models, configurations or colors and the like.

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
2021 U.S. Auto Manufacturer Sales Figures | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)

If you scroll down on the link, it has sales by quarter, I was curious how the numbers look vs. a normal year. I'm not clear as to why the GMQ2, 2021 does not tie to what GM has reported and same for what dannyg posted in post #2 for 2019, but close enough... I excluded Jag, Tesla and Diamler as their Q2, 2021 numbers weren't yet in.

Edit: I woke up early and looked at Ford's stock news page and saw they haven't reported their numbers, so I don't know what GCBC is reporting and couple that with the GM number being off it makes me question what these numbers represent.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

If you scroll down on the link, it has sales by quarter, I was curious how the numbers look vs. a normal year. I'm not clear as to why the GMQ2, 2021 does not tie to what GM has reported and same for what dannyg posted in post #2 for 2019, but close enough... I excluded Jag, Tesla and Diamler as their Q2, 2021 numbers weren't yet in.

View attachment 64008
How the H did Ford drop off so much? Fusion?

·
Registered
20,682 Posts

View attachment 64008

GCBC Data is GARBAGE; Ford hasn't even reported yet.

The GM number doesn't match the GM press release!

Only ones that are accurate (Q2 2021) is Honda, Nissan and Subaru, all the rest are wrong!
I don't know about 2019, but I'm not wasting my time to discredit GARBAGE data.

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
Have you seen your local Ford Dealership's inventory lately??? Can't sell cars if you aint got 'em
I'm amazed they (all) are doing as good as they are; I was talking to a neighbor that was kicking tires at the local Ford dealer, salesmen told him they have a total of 90 vehicles, normally they have about 650 on the ground!

Reactions: eklauss

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
You're right. What do you do if a car is stolen or totalled? Oy veh!
Get a Toyota I guess...look at the sales list, you can see who isn't as affected w/ the shortage...Mazda, Toyota, H/K all are up...I know it's anecdotal, but driving past the dealership row where I live, those are the dealers with new cars in stock.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm amazed they sold this much being the car lots are near empty. I assume this means they are pretty much selling vehicles as they arrive at the dealer, there isn't enough excess production to fill up the lots?????

Sad how poorly the CT4/CT5 are selling. I was pleased with the volume until I reminded myself I'm not looking at monthly data....

What's driving the Bolt up? The redesign? Fleet?
One thing to note about Bolt - with the addition of the "EUV", there's now two vehicles being combined into one number.....don't know how much the EUV sold vs. the regular model, but it's still now 2 models vs. 1 before.

Ford hasn't reported their numbers yet, so not sure where those came from. But Ford inventory has been absolutely horrible with the chip issues, and getting hit further with that chip plant fire.

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
One thing to note about Bolt - with the addition of the "EUV", there's now two vehicles being combined into one number.....don't know how much the EUV sold vs. the regular model, but it's still now 2 models vs. 1 before.

Ford hasn't reported their numbers yet, so not sure where those came from. But Ford inventory has been absolutely horrible with the chip issues, and getting hit further with that chip plant fire.
Those cannot have been sale for more than one a month at most, at least the EUV. They are just hitting the lots now

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
I hope Buick keeps doing well, I always thought they were under appreciated the last few years.
2 Cars from S. Korea and 1 Car from China; 'YEA'...........

Those cannot have been sale for more than one a month at most, at least the EUV. They are just hitting the lots now
Bolt is up, because it was about the only car dealers had left in-stock to buy!

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
GCBC Data is GARBAGE; Ford hasn't even reported yet.

The GM number doesn't match the GM press release!

Only ones that are accurate (Q2 2021) is Honda, Nissan and Subaru, all the rest are wrong!
I don't know about 2019, but I'm not wasting my time to discredit GARBAGE data.
As I was saying............ GCBC = GARBAGE

Ford Q2 2021 = 472,260; GCBC had 357K!?

21 - 40 of 58 Posts