GM Inside News Forum banner

81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Do you think normal people who complain about how Cadillac is ran could do a better job?
Yep...I for a fact know I can run Cadillac better than the folks running it, they've done a terrible job at it & I've never done a terrible job at anything so there's that. Outside the Escalade, what is so Cadillac about any of the Cadillacs sold today? Where are they best at anything?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I think they want more cars to sell; right now supply/demand/price is pretty good, probably making more per unit.
Probably right now...yeah, but when that survey was taken in 2019, I bet they had a different song to sing. Those full size SUVs are selling like hotcakes, they gotta love the bottom line on those.

My concern is that all this dependency on fullsizers looks eerily reminiscent of the pre bk old GM. One spike in gas prices and they're boned royally

·
Registered
20,339 Posts
I am not new by any stretch of the imagination, I've been following GM my whole life and probably know more about the company then you do.
Sounds great, please share with us some of your intelligent thoughts, I love to hear other peoples thoughts and perspectives about GM, but it better be good, because when I hear: "I've been following GM my whole life and probably know more about the company then you do." my expectations do increase.

As for my point, talking about changes that people like yourself propose thinking you would do a better job.
Many of us have been critical of Cadillac's decisions and actions, when it doesn't work and Cadillac goes in the exact opposite direction, in your opinion does that make our criticisms, right or wrong?

If GM is doing such a horrible job then explain how they continue to sale as many cars, cuv, suv, trucks as they do? All while creating a nice profit along the way.
You ever look at a 20 year chart of Cadillac sales in the US?

I personally think the buying public focus on things that are not important. I also think people have this mindset that companies like GM are supposed to design vehicles especially for them. And when they don't fit their exact taste they consider the vehicle a failure.
Who is the "smart guy" at Cadillac that priced the ELR? Built so many they had to skip a model-year, or was that intentional?................

GM/Cadillac has been trying for years, (decades?) to be something it's not, the ATS/CT4, CTS/CT5 all had potential, but were plagued with mis-steps, remember when they built an EXTRA 12 months of inventory in 6 months?

CT6? How did that work out; did it even last longer than the XTS, the car it was supposed to replace?

The Gen II SRX was a strong seller for all of it's existence, and the XT5 (Re-Named Gen III SRX) carried on with that success, so why in a "world of SUV/CUV's" is that Cadillac's only model? The XT4 has only been out about 2 1/2 years, and XT6 just under 2 years, "what took so long"?

How do you expect GM to build a vehicle to make each and every person happy? It's impossible, anybody can pick a part a car or truck and find things they don't like.
Non-sequitur - For one, we are talking about Cadillac here, not GM, but when did I say that "they should build a vehicle to make each and every person happy"? I have said, if you are going to have 4 brands, you shouldn't have so many segment gaps in your line-up. It's (almost) like 1984 where you can get a "J-Body" in every brand.

Do you think normal people who complain about how Cadillac is ran could do a better job?
With so many failings, why do you think those that have run Cadillac in the past aren't just "normal people"?
- JDN was an "out of the box" move, but he wanted to change things too much, so he got chased out of town, go figure.............

We should meet-up in NYC, sit down for a cup of coffee in that fancy SoHo place, I'll buy!

Probably right now...yeah, but when that survey was taken in 2019, I bet they had a different song to sing. Those full size SUVs are selling like hotcakes, they gotta love the bottom line on those.

My concern is that all this dependency on fullsizers looks eerily reminiscent of the pre bk old GM. One spike in gas prices and they're boned royally
Yes, we all know when gas prices rise, or economy wanes, those expensive SUV's take a hit, I remember 2005 like it was yesturday, co-worker of mine was getting a new vehicle the same time as I was, she had a Blazer (4.3L V6) and went to a Malibu MAXX, she couldn't believe I bought a Ram with a big V8 (5.7L HEMI) - but here is the kicker, her lease was $75 more a month, than my Ram was, I told her, "I've got $75 a month for gas money!"

Reactions: CJH and gkr778

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,470 Posts
Absolutely. For that matter, abnormal people could do a better job than the dweebs (particularly the ones in brand marketing) at the helm of Cadillac today.

The decline of the Cadillac's brand character and prestige over the past century is a travesty. I would like Cadillac to become "standard of the world" once again. New executive leadership is desperately needed to achieve that goal. GM can start by providing Johann De Nysschen an incentive to give up his current role as COO of Volkswagen of America and return to the top spot at Cadillac.

·
Premium Member
33,519 Posts
Absolutely. For that matter, abnormal people could do a better job than the dweebs (particularly the ones in brand marketing) at the helm of Cadillac today.

The decline of the Cadillac's brand character and prestige over the past century is a travesty. I would like Cadillac to become "standard of the world" once again. New executive leadership is desperately needed to achieve that goal. GM can start by providing Johann De Nysschen an incentive to give up his current role as COO of Volkswagen of America and return to the top spot at Cadillac.
He probably would not come back. GM is not interested in motor divisions, though, they might help unlock value for shareholders and prove out executives that are hungry, internal competition is far much more motivating than external.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,470 Posts
He probably would not come back. GM is not interested in motor divisions, though, they might help unlock value for shareholders and prove out executives that are hungry, internal competition is far much more motivating than external.
Good point. Unfortunately, since the 1970s certain aspects of internal competition at GM led to strife and bickering among executives, and failed to foster greater autonomy among GM's motor divisions.

Perhaps a divorce between the Cadillac brand and General Motors would be worthwhile as I've said before on this forum. GM could still provide technology and components for Cadillac products, such as Ultium battery systems and Cruise autonomous driving software but the Cadillac brand itself would become independent or part of a consortium. For Cadillac in particular, GM is much more competent at engineering (e.g., Alpha platform chassis tuning) than at marketing.

·
Premium Member
33,519 Posts
Good point. Unfortunately, since the 1970s certain aspects of internal competition at GM led to strife and bickering among executives, and failed to foster greater autonomy among GM's motor divisions.

Perhaps a divorce between the Cadillac brand and General Motors would be worthwhile as I've said before on this forum. GM could still provide technology and components for Cadillac products, such as Ultium battery systems and Cruise autonomous driving software but the Cadillac brand itself would become independent or part of a consortium. For Cadillac in particular, GM is much more competent at engineering (e.g., Alpha platform chassis tuning) than at marketing.
Volkswagen and Hyundai do very well with motor divisions

·
Registered
858 Posts
For some perspective on GM versus the market in March 2021: decided my Trax Premier was maybe a bit of an over-correction in size after my prior Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, so I looked at two and three row crossovers in March as the new ride. After a bit of test driving, I decided the 3 row size was a better fit for needs and functionality. GM is underwhelming in this market.

The GMC Acadia was pricey, but lacked quality in the interior to justify the price and had maddening gaps in options across trims (I didn't like the ride of the 20" wheels, but you're pretty much stuck with them at all but the lowest trim). The Enclave was nice, but overpriced even with incentives. It drove heavy and was a bit pokey until the engine room got the steam up. The Traverse was very 2016. Like they hadn't changed anything in 6 model years except some exterior colors. It was big inside, but lacked a lot of features at $40-45K MSRP before the usual GM 10-15% discount.

As underwhelming as GM is, Toyota's Highlander is an equal mess. I thought I got in a Tacoma the ride was so choppy. The third row was not even kid friendly. Pricey was it's middle name at $42K for a mid-level trim. I didn't really feel that the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade were the game changers that Car & Driver felt they were. Huge hood, blind spots galore, and trim level packaging like GM used to do like stuffing a panoramic roof into all but the lowest trims versus making it a choice in a package. Hyundai had some discounts, but Kia dealers were all marking them up. Great for them, but the vehicles didn't warrant a premium.

The final two were the Honda Pilot and the Mazda CX-9. Each was pretty loaded with goodies even in the second and third steps of 5-6 trim levels. Both had zero percent financing. Both had deals via TrueCar in the 15-17% discount range. In the end the V-6 in the Pilot tilted the table away from the CX-9 as it was much smoother than the turbo I-4 and didn't require premium fuel to get peak HP. At a similar age as the Traverse, both vehicles had notable upgrades since release and a much higher quality interior. A new Pilot is coming for the 2022 model year. Mazda is slated for a 2024 refresh to a rear drive platform if the spy news is correct.

In the end, I'm sure my story isn't unique to people cross shopping GM and the competition. What is worth noting is that I have bought a lot of Chevrolet's and more than an occasional other GM vehicle over the last 30 years and I found the current innovation and quality lacking across the board compared to the competition. Feature for feature and for the price, GM isn't competitive without discounts and cheap financing. Even then, the competition seems hungrier these days for business. GM seems to be a bit adrift as they wait for the Electric revolution to take over.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For some perspective on GM versus the market in March 2021: decided my Trax Premier was maybe a bit of an over-correction in size after my prior Colorado Z71 Crew Cab, so I looked at two and three row crossovers in March as the new ride. After a bit of test driving, I decided the 3 row size was a better fit for needs and functionality. GM is underwhelming in this market.

The GMC Acadia was pricey, but lacked quality in the interior to justify the price and had maddening gaps in options across trims (I didn't like the ride of the 20" wheels, but you're pretty much stuck with them at all but the lowest trim). The Enclave was nice, but overpriced even with incentives. It drove heavy and was a bit pokey until the engine room got the steam up. The Traverse was very 2016. Like they hadn't changed anything in 6 model years except some exterior colors. It was big inside, but lacked a lot of features at $40-45K MSRP before the usual GM 10-15% discount.

As underwhelming as GM is, Toyota's Highlander is an equal mess. I thought I got in a Tacoma the ride was so choppy. The third row was not even kid friendly. Pricey was it's middle name at $42K for a mid-level trim. I didn't really feel that the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade were the game changers that Car & Driver felt they were. Huge hood, blind spots galore, and trim level packaging like GM used to do like stuffing a panoramic roof into all but the lowest trims versus making it a choice in a package. Hyundai had some discounts, but Kia dealers were all marking them up. Great for them, but the vehicles didn't warrant a premium.

The final two were the Honda Pilot and the Mazda CX-9. Each was pretty loaded with goodies even in the second and third steps of 5-6 trim levels. Both had zero percent financing. Both had deals via TrueCar in the 15-17% discount range. In the end the V-6 in the Pilot tilted the table away from the CX-9 as it was much smoother than the turbo I-4 and didn't require premium fuel to get peak HP. At a similar age as the Traverse, both vehicles had notable upgrades since release and a much higher quality interior. A new Pilot is coming for the 2022 model year. Mazda is slated for a 2024 refresh to a rear drive platform if the spy news is correct.

In the end, I'm sure my story isn't unique to people cross shopping GM and the competition. What is worth noting is that I have bought a lot of Chevrolet's and more than an occasional other GM vehicle over the last 30 years and I found the current innovation and quality lacking across the board compared to the competition. Feature for feature and for the price, GM isn't competitive without discounts and cheap financing. Even then, the competition seems hungrier these days for business. GM seems to be a bit adrift as they wait for the Electric revolution to take over.

I think it's interesting to watch people make up excuses of why they didn't buy a vehicle from GM. That diatribe about searching for a car is comical. Cross shop I don't even know the meaning, sure as hell have never partaking in the practice, unless you consider which C8 I am going to buy. (Zo6 or ZR1)

You make it sound like nobody buys GM vehicles, people find that one vehicle that struggles and pounces on it.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I think it's interesting to watch people make up excuses of why they didn't buy a vehicle from GM. That diatribe about searching for a car is comical. Cross shop I don't even know the meaning, sure as hell have never partaking in the practice, unless you consider which C8 I am going to buy. (Zo6 or ZR1)

You make it sound like nobody buys GM vehicles, people find that one vehicle that struggles and pounces on it.
I bet you also have a corvette tattoo...right?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Nope, I am not like other people
Gotcha...ok so what do you have against cross shopping. Not everyone has $150k to blow on a car so for the most of us, we have to be smart about what we spend our money on...marching into a GM dealership with an open checkbook for their latest and greatest (read mediocre) crossover isn't the best way to go about putting your money to use. That was dude's point.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gotcha...ok so what do you have against cross shopping. Not everyone has $150k to blow on a car so for the most of us, we have to be smart about what we spend our money on...marching into a GM dealership with an open checkbook for their latest and greatest (read mediocre) crossover isn't the best way to go about putting your money to use. That was dude's point.
I have only own chevy cars and trucks! So living in the GM world is the only cross shopping I will even consider.

Some people have standards that other people just don't understand.

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
If you ever want to run a successful luxury car company, just do the opposite of what Cadillac has done the last 30 years. Remember how the move to New York was the smartest thing Cadillac ever did according to some on here? Or 500,000 by 2020? Good times.

Cadillac needs a Model 3 competitor ASAP. CT4/CT5 overlap way too much and shouldn't even exist in their current form. If GM is serious about 0/0/0, they would have given Cadillac a proper Model 3 fighter before a niche $200,000 Lyriq.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
If you ever want to run a successful luxury car company, just do the opposite of what Cadillac has done the last 30 years. Remember how the move to New York was the smartest thing Cadillac ever did according to some on here? Or 500,000 by 2020? Good times.

Cadillac needs a Model 3 competitor ASAP. CT4/CT5 overlap way too much and shouldn't even exist in their current form. If GM is serious about 0/0/0, they would have given Cadillac a proper Model 3 fighter before a niche $200,000 Lyriq.
Niche Celestiq, but I'm picking up what you're putting down. A Model 3 or Model Y competitor out the gates puts them right in the thick of the mass market EV fight day one.

And you're 100% right about the CT4/5...they're completely redundant as CT5s with the 2.0 are being discounted into the mid/lower 30s...effectively squeezing out the CT4. The 4 IMO just is a bad buy especially when optioned up...when paying over 50 for a CT4 you then have to ask yourself, why not just spend another 5k and get a decently equipped CT5. This also explains the CT4s paltry sales numbers and its days of inventory measure.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have only own chevy cars and trucks! So living in the GM world is the only cross shopping I will even consider.

Some people have standards that other people just don't understand.
I have done the same, partially preference and partially my father's GM discount that came down to me after he passed. But that doesn't mean I don't understand why others cross-shop and where GM falls short.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
858 Posts

Thanks for using most of your 59 posts so far on making this post far longer as you argue on and on and for keeping your blinders on as you're a C8 Z06 vs ZR1 guy and hey you're only bragging a little :)

Bottom line is GM lacks a continuation strategy until EV replacements are available in most of the key segments as noted by many in this thread. It cost them the home team advantage in my shopping experience and I'm sure others too. You don't need to agree with that, but that's my perspective.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
93 Posts

Explain to me what is so bad about Cadillac, is the Escalade not great? Is the CTS V not great? Is the ATS V not great?

I think Cadillac has done a great job with what they have to deal with. Cadillac has obstacles that other luxury brands don't have to deal with.

81 - 100 of 142 Posts