GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080514/gm_strikes.html?.v=2

GM notified striking workers at its Delta Township assembly plant near Lansing that they are no longer eligible for health care or life insurance benefits from the automaker.

"GM is well within our contractual rights to discontinue their benefits for the rest of their strike," the company said in a statement.

Workers at the Delta Township plant, which makes GM's popular Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook crossovers, have been on strike since April 17. The company is allowed to discontinue benefits on the first day of the month following the start of the strike, so it could have canceled the benefits as early as May 1.

A UAW local at another plant in Kansas City, Kan., which makes the popular Chevrolet Malibu midsize sedan has been on strike since May 5, so GM could cancel benefits at that plant as early as June 1.

This marks the first time GM has canceled striking workers' health and life insurance benefits since a 47-day strike in Flint halted production nationwide in 1998.

The United Auto Workers union is picking up the tab for workers' health benefits, according to a union official at Local 602 in Lansing. The UAW is also paying workers $200 per week in strike pay.

Local 602 President Doug Rademacher told workers Monday in an online message that the company's latest contract offer was "unacceptable."

Full article at link.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i hate all this union stuff, their must eb a way to get back to regular pay for the work you do or something.
they always seem to hit when the company starts to do well at a plant.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Good. Doesn't this get old UAW?? How many times is this recently? Well, I guess Spring Hill might get some extra work.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Finally GM is playing tough with them instead of caving to their every whim! Good job!!! The UAW obviously has no bargaining power left, and GM knows it. The big unions have shot themselves in the foot many times and now they are going to pay for it.

The worse part is the average union member, whether they agreed with being in the union or not, will suffer the most. The corrupt big union bosses won't even fill a pinch in lost benefits or money. Always the way.

·
Banned
1,845 Posts
What could be so bad about working there, with the money, working indoors, having the benefits?
The only tough life of a assembly line worker is that you may not have a job in several years if the plant is old and cannot be retooled.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Completely Ridiculous.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
This is great, but why didn't they do that on the first day that they were eligible (May 1st).

GM should start taking job applications and "openly" hold negotiations with other plants, especially in Mexico to use a bargaining tool. I bet you could send ALL the production to Spring Hill too!!!

I'm tired Ghetto Finger bringing down American Auto Manufacturers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is, thats part of what payin dues is for right? I imagine the AAM strike is handled the same way, and I don't remember any news article about it.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
This is just a little taste of the future UAW.....hope your nose doesn't get too bloody......

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
About time lazy overpaid assembly line workers start paying the price for their greed. I can see striking over safety issues, but these idiots deserve to be without a job at GM permanently.

Good to see GM grow a set.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Unions=Grrrr. Siemens... Verizon... I've been down that road. The contract protects unproductive morons with high seniority. The Union places unfair demands on company resources. The company responds by exploiting every contract loophole to make the lives of their employees a living hell. Understandable but not fun when you are at the bottom.

Hey GM! 240,000 workers lost their jobs in the first three months of 2008 so there will be plenty of good talent to draw from. Just fire all those UAW whiners outright and hire better people. Sign me up too!

By the way congrats on the Malibu - the ultimate weapon against your midsize sector import foes.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
While I agree in principle, that Unions SHOULD be a good idea. The reality is, that they don't work. Too much corruption.

Glad to see GM doing what they should have done a long time ago.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
good. gm needs to play hardball with these guys.

its too bad that a few bad eggs ruin it for everybody.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Good, glad to see that they're finally taking a stand. I've known too many good, hardworking people that lost their jobs overseas. Now these UAW workers have it made... but now they want more??? "**** 'EM!"

·
Registered
161 Posts
Coming from the unionized Germany, I must say that while they were a vital part of the emancipation of the working class, it is now just hindering the free market and cases more outsourcing. But everybody already said that. Where are the strikebreakers here?

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Workers at the Delta Township plant, which makes GM's popular Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook crossovers, have been on strike since April 17...

A UAW local at another plant in Kansas City, Kan., which makes the popular Chevrolet Malibu midsize sedan has been on strike since May 5...
A pretty strange coincidence that the strikes all occur at plants that are assembling GM's latest and hottest products, no?

The guys building Uplanders are apparently happy with their contracts? Don't they all have the same conditions anyway?

Seems to me they're just grabbing an easy opportunity to try to squeeze the used fruit for even more juice... (an expression I just quickly translated into English, couldn't remember the proper equivalent)

·
Registered
418 Posts
The stupidity of the uninformed and unknowing comments from people that obviously don't have a clue what's going on at the local plant level have made so far in this thread, never fails to amaze me.
And it's usually always the same people that say these things in other threads on this forum.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I don't like the UAW any more than the rest of you, but what will the press think about this after the first lineworker's daughter gets sick and is denied care because GM canceled it?

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
The stupidity of the uninformed and unknowing comments from people that obviously don't have a clue what's going on at the local plant level have made so far in this thread, never fails to amaze me.
And it's usually always the same people that say these things in other threads on this forum.
Enlighten us, then.

Maybe there indeed is a logical reason why the only plants on strike are the ones that everyone knows GM badly needs to be running, and we're just unaware of it.

As I said, it just seems like a strange coincidence... and this points in the direction of a particular type of conclusion, i.e. that these strikes are likely the product of greed.

I never said I had any clue about what's going on in these plants, so if you have better information, by all means, tell us.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts