GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Motors' Earnings From Ventures in China Triple in 2003

March 16 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., the world's largest automaker, said its profit from joint ventures in China more than tripled to $437 million last year as the company's market share in that nation increased.

Profit from the Chinese ventures, led by Shanghai General Motors, increased from $142 million in 2002, the automaker said in an annual report filed with U.S. regulators last week. The U.S. company also said its loss from affiliates in South Korea widened to $74 million from $45 million in 2002.

Market share in China rose to 8.5 percent last year from 7.8 percent the previous year and has more than doubled from 4.1 percent in 2001, Detroit-based General Motors said.

General Motors is counting on investments in China, which became the company's fourth-biggest vehicle market last year, and South Korea to help boost earnings to $10 a share by 2006. Profit from its Asia-Pacific vehicle operations last year rose threefold to $577 million while automotive income in North America, its biggest region, fell 73 percent to $811 million.

General Motors also said profit from ventures in Japan, where it owns stakes in Suzuki Motor Corp. and Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., rose 47 percent to $196 million. Earnings from a powertrain joint venture with Italy's Fiat SpA increased 19 percent to $95 million, General Motors said.

Story Here

Buick Sail:

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Good news for GM. Hope they take that money and plow some of it back into new cars for the US market.

Oh well, I can always dream.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
If Ventures are doing this well in China, just think how well Uplanders will do!

Ghrankenstein

:frankie: :frankie: :frankie:

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Based on the exterior photo of the Sail, it seems that Buick is targeting a much different segment of the Chinese market than it does now or plans to in the future in the USA. Not bad, I guess, but I'm more interested in [and anxiously anticipatory of] Buick's American Velite aspirations.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
uh-oh... the chinese-engine (equinox) detractors aren't going to like this! the growth and strength of GM's chinese business could lead to more importeted components.

(i heard the logo for the '05 vette is produced in china ;))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts