GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Autoweek.com
November 18, 2022

General Motors President Mark Reuss confirmed an electrified Chevrolet Corvette for next year and a high-performance top-of-the-line C8, apparently the long-awaited track-only Z06, “that will put the world on notice.”

We say “apparently” because Reuss today unveiled a slew of new and updated calendar 2023 and ’24 electric and internal-combustion models at GM’s Investors Day. Wall Street investors and analysts saw photos or illustrations of the new models on an auditorium screen in Manhattan (no photos, please), while journalists watched a webcast in which all such pictures were blanked out.

Reuss also previewed something called the Chevy “Car-D,” further out in years and apparently only for China. He described it as a “low-roof” vehicle with “sedan-like proportions.” Perhaps sedans are on their way back in style, at least in China.

Aside from the hybrid Corvette coming in calendar 2023 and probably the track Z06 in ’24, the most interesting new sheetmetal will be full EVs. Chairwoman and CEO Mary Barra said GM is on its way to producing 1 million EVs in North America by 2025, and these vehicles will by that year deliver the same profit margins to the automaker as its internal combustion-powered models.

Reuss said GM will offer EVs in one-third of vehicle segments by 2025. Here are the new EVs planned for calendar 2023 and ’24:

(See listing at link).

·
Premium Member
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cadillac Compact Crossover

Breaking into a new EV segment and price-point, Reuss said, with “new technology” and a “new design language,” in 2023. Unclear whether it’s for the Chinese-market only.

Cadillac "GT4" as reported at Burlapp Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Also, MCE Cadillac CT6, also reported at Burlapp Car:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Too much of this bevy of new product is for other markets and China... or so it seems. Phooey on you gm.
I hope that whatever comes out looks more luxurious. Just look at the wheels, lighting, colors. A few touches make the difference to me. This is a chance for a new beginning. Need better message control

·
Super Moderator
22,343 Posts

Breaking into a new EV segment and price-point, Reuss said, with “new technology” and a “new design language,” in 2023. Unclear whether it’s for the Chinese-market only.

View attachment 68095

View attachment 68096
I think I read somewhere that the GT4, or whatever it is called, will be Chinese only. But I won't stake my life on that. It looks ok, but nothing that I'm instantly saying "gotta have it".

From this angle, I am NOT loving the CT6 I don't hate it, but I'm not seeing the strength in the design that the current generation has. Very possible that it is simply the angle.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
I want to see production model Silverado EV's. Are they all going to be Avalanche based? How is the LT Trail Boss version going to look? Are they all going to have the black fender flares?
No Silverado EVs are Avalanche based. New platform, not based off the old ICE trucks that the Avalanche was on.

I haven't heard of any "Trail Boss" version, but they could be doing some kind of similar equipment level and use whatever name they want, so who knows? It would appear that they'll all have the fender flares for now. They could always change that, but that means tooling up new fenders and quarters (cost). Personally, I've never liked tacked-on plastic fender flares (or plastic appliques) on any vehicle. They look cheap, and they just add cost and weight.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Too much of this bevy of new product is for other markets and China... or so it seems. Phooey on you gm.
Honestly that’s a good thing for there survival sake.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the GT4, or whatever it is called, will be Chinese only. But I won't stake my life on that. It looks ok, but nothing that I'm instantly saying "gotta have it".

From this angle, I am NOT loving the CT6 I don't hate it, but I'm not seeing the strength in the design that the current generation has. Very possible that it is simply the angle.
Honestly I'd be interested in the GT4. Might be a little small though.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts
It was a reference to the body configuration, not the chassis.
Sorry, I consider "platform" as the overall vehicle.

But the same thing applies. Silverado EV is not Avalanche BODY based either. It is new, not based off the Avalanche body, which carried quite a few of the old ICE pickup (and Suburban) body parts.

Now, I realize that he is actually complaining about the LOOK with the buttress, not that the truck is actually based off the Avalanche. And I would agree that the Avalanche's flying buttress looked overly large due to the cladding covering the steel structure. The original Avalanche was a plastic-clad Aztek nightmare in it's looks. But later they replaced a lot of that cladding with actual Siverado/Suburban sheet metal, improving it's looks greatly. Although the cladding on the flying buttress remained. But a buttress was needed mainly due (I presume) to the loss of structural integrity from the midgate (the main feature to the Avavlanche). You cut out the back of the cab/front of the box, you'll need to reinforce the area.

The Silverado EV buttress (not a flying buttress) did reduce the size of the buttress needed, and they included it as part the styled surface. It looks better than the Avalanche, but still provides the needed structure. And the angled look at the back of the cab better matches the angled windshield's front of the cab look, as opposed to the current pickup look of a "chopped" back.

As for other body configurations (cabin seat rows, bed length) I would never expect anything but a dual cab short box AT FIRST, as that's the most versatile, and popular configuration. But at some point, I'm sure other choices could come along. And GM has already mentioned HD models coming, but I don't know what "look" that might entail.

·
Super Moderator
22,343 Posts
Honestly I'd be interested in the GT4. Might be a little small though.
Maybe I'll partially take back my words - depends on what is powering it. If they put the CT4-V engine in it and bigger tires/rims, I might get my interest piqued! Though if this is Chinese only then I'd assume it will be small/low hp engines exclusively. And presumably the chassis/driveline wasn't designed with a high-power engine in mind and most likely can't handle bigger engines.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts

Other than the obvious Cadillac front end, the rest of the CT6 looks like any other "insert brand" that you would see on a dealer lot. It looks really plain...i'm not impressed.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,553 Posts
Other than the obvious Cadillac front end, the rest of the CT6 looks like any other "insert brand" that you would see on a dealer lot. It looks really plain...i'm not impressed.
You do have a point. take the badges and maybe the signature grille away and it could pass for something else... a new Genesis model perhaps lol.

·
Registered
45,355 Posts

View attachment 68095
It looks like a Mercedes GLA competitor?

View attachment 68096
This would have been a perfect Genesis G90 competitor. You know, the one that won the COTY!??
Not quite S-Class caliber, but a solid 80% there for far less money.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts