GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General Motors Corp. has put off plans to re-engineer a next generation of full-size pickups and SUVs amid plummeting sales of large trucks, the automaker said today. Instead of overhauling big trucks like the Chevrolet Silverado pickup and GMC Yukon SUV in a few years, GM will save money by improving on the current models launched in 2007. Delaying a remodel of the trucks also gives GM time to factor in the effects of new federal fuel economy mandates.......

More at link: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080618/AUTO01/806180443

Not really a supprise given the current market.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The big question. IF oil prices drop will big trucks become fashionable again?

With that said, I do think GM is doing the right thing by refreshing the truck part way through rather than remodel from scratch. For once GM is putting their money in the right place at the right time.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I think this is a smart idea, but feel GM will lose market share when the market finally restabilizes. Ford and Dodge are now coming out with some awesome new products and I'd hate to see GM as the oldest design and be overlooked when customers shop. Hopefully they'll get the dang 6 speeds out by 09 at least. We'll see what they end up doing to make it better!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm excited to see what GM can do to help fuel-economy in a refresh of the current platform. Maybe more diesels, DI, or start-stop/mild-hybrid.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
I will say this if GM kills the Suburban I will be forever pissed off. My family needs a vehicle that can haul cargo, carry 7 people, and tow a horse trailer. I don't see a Lambda doing that anytime soon.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Remember that in the auto business when you have just finished redesigning and launching a new vehicle they already are developing the next gen and lets hope GMs bet plays off because by 2010 Ford is redesigning the Expy and Navi again and by 2012 there is going to be a new F150 if the timeline doesnt change

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I think this is a smart idea, but feel GM will lose market share when the market finally restabilizes. Ford and Dodge are now coming out with some awesome new products and I'd hate to see GM as the oldest design and be overlooked when customers shop. Hopefully they'll get the dang 6 speeds out by 09 at least. We'll see what they end up doing to make it better!
I agree. I hope this doesn't mean we won't see changes/refreshments and soon. I bet it does though.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I will say this if GM kills the Suburban I will be forever pissed off. My family needs a vehicle that can haul cargo, carry 7 people, and tow a horse trailer. I don't see a Lambda doing that anytime soon.
Did this article say anything about killing any vehicles? The Suburban has always been in it's own class and always will be. Even Ford couldn't touch the success that Chevy has had. It will remain until the last barrel of oil has been plucked from this earth!

Remember that in the auto business when you have just finished redesigning and launching a new vehicle they already are developing the next gen and lets hope GMs bet plays off because by 2010 Ford is redesigning the Expy and Navi again and by 2012 there is going to be a new F150 if the timeline doesnt change
Exactly the point I was trying to make. I hope it works out for GM. They must stay competitive!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This is smart. I think they want to see how much they should invest. If they invest too much they will never get a return on their investment in R&D. Invest too little and they will give away market share. Sucky time to be a analyst of trucks at a car company.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Did this article say anything about killing any vehicles? The Suburban has always been in it's own class and always will be. Even Ford couldn't touch the success that Chevy has had. It will remain until the last barrel of oil has been plucked from this earth!
With talk of the Tahoe as we know it being killed, it sort of leaves the question of what will happen with the Suburban? I am going to push my parents to get the 4.5 Diesel equipped model( probably going to GMC since I like the Sierra front end better if they do the same treatment to it as they did with the 'Burban) to replace our GMT-800 Suburban. Will tow better and last longer.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Was GM seriously considering a total remodel of the 900's in the next 1-3yrs? Didn't they just come out in 07? Many other vehicles that came out before that have yet to get even a MCE and the 900's were due for a remodel? I feel weird saying this but if it took $4.00+ gas to get GM to realize other vehicles need attention then I'm glad it's happened.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Gas prices will not go down. We are in a new era. The price will stabilize within about 50 to 75 cents above or below where we are now. GM needs to operate under the a worst case scenario contingency plan: This involves adjusting the investment in their full size line of vehicles for the low point of demand. If they can forecast any sort of profit under the pretense that Full Size demand will always remain low, then any additional profit due to increased demand will just be gravy.

That is what they should have done two years ago, and yes, I am arrogant enough to say I called it then.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Want to drive the sales of the GMT-900's through the roof?
1. Get the 4.5L diesel now.
2. Follow up with the direct injected gasoline version of the 4.5L.

How many full-size trucks would sell if consumers could regularly see 25 mpg city and 30 mpg highway? Or even better?

Fuel economy is now king lynchpin in selling full-size trucks.
Conquer the fuel thirst and you conquer this market.

·
Banned
5,521 Posts
Hopefully? Where have you been? It's a done deal. The 09's will be available with a 6.2/6 spd. Production begins soon.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
GM is really doing some "soul-searching" these days...which is good.

I think it would be a good idea to consider downsizing their largest models. Why does each new gen vehicle need to be much larger than the previous generation?

I like that Cadillac may be naming their "BRX" the new SRX. Caddy is using a familiar name and attaching it to a vastly superior product than the previous model. GM should do the same with the Escalade, make the next flagship SUV the size of the current SRX, but name it the Escalade. I think Ford should do the same too. Drop the current Expedition...rename the Flex to be the new Expedition.

I, however, think the long wheelbase version of the full size SUVs should remain. Models such as the Suburban, Yukon XL, Expedition EL, Escalade EXT & ESV, etc. should continue production to provide those characterisitics to those that "really" need the features of these large vehicles. It's kinda like how the 2-door Bronco, Blazer K-body, and 2-door Explorer didn't last long after the 4-door versions were released.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts