1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM likely to use new Zeta rwd platform on three continents

April 13, 2004
By RICK KRANZ | Automotive News

The Opel Insignia concept could be built on General Motors' Zeta global platform.

NEW YORK -- General Motors expects to produce several hundred thousand vehicles annually for at least two continents from the automaker's new rear-drive Zeta car architecture.

GM's ambitious plans for Zeta indicate that Detroit's product planners expect demand for rwd cars in this decade. The architecture will debut on a Buick sedan in 2006.

Zeta will be used to produce vehicles in North America, Australia, and possibly China and Europe. "I think we will be building it probably on three continents," said Gary Cowger, president of GM North America, at the New York auto show. "For early planning purposes, we would probably see it consuming a (whole) plant" in North America.

Cowger did not say what plant that would be.

The first vehicle off the architecture will be the 2007 Buick Park Avenue replacement with a V-6 and a V-8. The next-generation Pontiac GTO coupe, debuting around the 2008 model year, will share the platform. Holden will produce versions in Australia.

Still to be decided is whether Opel and Saab will offer variants, where they would be produced and whether GM China will assemble a car.

Convertibles and sport wagons are expected to be produced from the architecture. The four-passenger Buick Velite convertible concept unveiled at the New York show is based on Zeta.

"We are looking for several hundred thousand a year worldwide," Lutz said.

Full Article Here

5,934 Posts
Does anyone know where the Zeta platform is built? (i.e. is the design and the main components used based upon American know-how?)

I think major US companies need to keep much of the IP and know-how in house, instead of out-sourcing your know-how.

:type:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Apr 13 2004, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know where the Zeta platform is built? (i.e. is the design and the main components used based upon American know-how?)

I think major US companies need to keep much of the IP and know-how in house, instead of out-sourcing your know-how.

As far as I know it is a collaboration between GM NA, and GM Holden, using Holden's respected expertise in multi-purpose, multi-vehicle RWD platforms.

At least it will have more US engineering input than the Pontiac Vibe or Chevy Aveo.:p

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Apr 13 2004, 05:44 PM
The single problem with this platform is its 2006 introduction... it should be sooner!
as much as i want to see one on the roads in north america or driving one. sooner = less engineering time. less engineering time = more recalls. more recalls
= poor quality of vehicle from the publics point of vue

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Apr 13 2004, 08:54 PM
I'm thinking they might be built in Hamtramck... I mean that’s where all their large car platforms are currently built. The Orion plant used to build the large model cars, but is currently changing over to porduce the pontiac G6. Another might be Lansing "Small Car" Assembly... they are currently making Alero, old model style Pontiac Grand Am and the Chevy "Classic." Within the year it will not have any cars to build either. I'm thinking Truck Linden will just be closing instead of getting the business.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Originally posted by GotAWD+Apr 14 2004, 12:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GotAWD @ Apr 14 2004, 12:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tgagneguam@Apr 13 2004, 05:44 PM
The single problem with this platform is its 2006 introduction... it should be sooner!
as much as i want to see one on the roads in north america or driving one. sooner = less engineering time. less engineering time = more recalls. more recalls
= poor quality of vehicle from the publics point of vue [/b][/quote]
I absolutely agree! I'm just being my usual impatient self. It's hard to be teased with exceptional close-to-production vehicles like the Velite but have to subsist for several more years with cars like the LaCrosse (nee Regal). The LaCrosse is not a bad car at all, but it aint no Velite!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bet you holden will use this platform first, it is their design. The first holden car to use this platform would be the commodore, i dont think holden would continue selling the monaro (GTO) when VE (zeta) comes out.

For HOLDEN
2004/2005 = new HFV6 engine
2005 = new LS2, LS6 and 5 speed auto, new 6 speed (i think)
2005/2006 = new platform, redesign of commodore, might also bring out a small car with turbo V6/V8 (TORANA?)

I dont think the 2007 Buick Park Avenue would get the platform first, im already hearing a VE (zeta) mule running around the outback and in sydney with the current VY look (great desguise).

The zeta platform would underpin many cars around the world. ie holden, some euro cars, couple of american cars and asian cars (larger holdens rebaged as Daiwoo). I heard that the asian cars (large holdens) arent going to use zeta but the sigma platform. Not sure though.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Apr 13 2004, 02:22 PM
The next-generation Pontiac GTO coupe, debuting around the 2008 model year, will share the platform.
I thought I heard the GTO was just a 3 model year car.
I guess maybe that was not correct information I heard.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by thehemi+Apr 14 2004, 09:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thehemi @ Apr 14 2004, 09:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Apr 13 2004, 02:22 PM
The next-generation Pontiac GTO coupe, debuting around the 2008 model year, will share the platform.
I thought I heard the GTO was just a 3 model year car.
I guess maybe that was not correct information I heard. [/b][/quote]
When the GTO/Holden deal is up after its 3 year run, the GTO will be made here in the US along side the Camaro, and other Velite cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Zeta is being developed in Australia. GM will wait to see how the LX-Series perform (300 and Magnum) before putting it to the test state-side. That is why some of these vehicles are due during the later half of the decade. A wide array of vehicles will be on this platform (Camaro, Impala, Monte Carlo, Buick Sedan and Velite).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts