GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.faz.net/s/RubD16E1F55D21...0EBBC1274DFA81D79D~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html

free german to english translation:

22. May 2008 general of engine (GM) advances in the development of its electric car volt fast and calls for the first time price and introduction on the market. „GM has a completely clear goal: We want to bring the volt on the market to a price of less than 30,000 dollar to 2010 “, said GM chief executive Rick Wagoner of the Frankfurt general newspaper. So far GM had only explained to want to begin at the end of of 2010 with the quantity production volts under the mark of the Chevrolet.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
If they can bring it in under $30k then it will sell very well. I'm still disappointed it is only a 4 seater however because my 3rd kid won't appreciate riding in the trunk. Hopefully they expand the technology to other cars quickly that are more family oriented. About an E-Flex Zafira, then maybe I can buy one.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
man i hope it does get here....it's gonna sell out with gas prices rising!

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
the sooner the better...and while they're at it, I hope this technology migrates to a delta II Cobalt ""XFE"" ASAP! Might also want it in a Malibu and start an "Emerald" Lineup and stick it in there too.

CObaltSS

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
http://www.faz.net/s/RubD16E1F55D21...0EBBC1274DFA81D79D~ATpl~Ecommon~Scontent.html

free german to english translation:

22. May 2008 general of engine (GM) advances in the development of its electric car volt fast and calls for the first time price and introduction on the market. „GM has a completely clear goal: We want to bring the volt on the market to a price of less than 30,000 dollar to 2010 “, said GM chief executive Rick Wagoner of the Frankfurt general newspaper. So far GM had only explained to want to begin at the end of of 2010 with the quantity production volts under the mark of the Chevrolet.
If the "General of Engine" is able to price the Volt below $30k, I can't see it not being a success. That's good news.

Aren't Wagoner and Lutz contradicting each other publicly, though? I seem to recall Lutz saying "don't expect the Volt under $40k" or something like that not too long ago.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The Volt (like the next gen Cobalt) will be based on Delta II. The MSRP on a new Cobalt 1LT sedan is $15,595. That leaves $14,400 for batteries, electric motor, and controller, to be able to come in at $29,995 or less.

I know the battery pack has got to be expensive, but I think it's doable without too much of a subsidy. Especially when you consider that the Volt will not need (I think) a transmission (big savings), and can use a very simple ICE to power the on-board generator. (ICE will run at a fixed RPM - won't need 4 valves, VVT or any of that stuff related to a wide power band.)

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Has anyone heard what they are actually considering for a ICE generator? Maybe if diesel gets more popular here in the US we'll get a diesel version which I would think would be ideal for a generator.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Has anyone heard what they are actually considering for a ICE generator? Maybe if diesel gets more popular here in the US we'll get a diesel version which I would think would be ideal for a generator.

Diesel is great as a generator. Most portable generators run diesel. I'm not sure how much fuel savings it would provide given that it should only run for a couple of hours a week. I think you could get the same effect by putting in an HCCI gas engine. The weight advantage and cheaper cost of gasoline should outweigh any advantages of the diesel.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Diesel is great as a generator. Most portable generators run diesel. I'm not sure how much fuel savings it would provide given that it should only run for a couple of hours a week. I think you could get the same effect by putting in an HCCI gas engine. The weight advantage and cheaper cost of gasoline should outweigh any advantages of the diesel.
Diesel might be better because you can use biodiesel, or convert it to run on vegetable oil. And since you won't be using it much, you won't need much vegetable oil to be completely free of foreign oil.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Make my ICE for the generator gas please. Either way, gas or diesel, I think they should make an hour meter for the ICE part of the electronics package. Odometer reading will not relate very well to ICE usage, especially on a short trip commuter vehicle.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I think GM is going to hit this just right.. Gas prices are going to boom this summer, going from $3.45 to $3.99 in a week in my area! Highest prices as been in my area. Gas prices are going to be over $4.00 a gallon.. people are going to flock to the Volt!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
....Might also want it in a Malibu and start an "Emerald" Lineup and stick it in there too.
Actually since they tested it first in a Mali a few months back, I could see them adding it in a Mali quite quickly after the Volts introduction.

On a side note, I have 2 family members just waiting to buy one as soon as they can order one in. They drive to work less then 40 miles, so all in all I can see this car being a runaway success.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
With the current Prius at about $25k - under $30k for the Volt would be a steal.

It'll buy one for $30k as long as there is no $5k+++ markup.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Actually since they tested it first in a Mali a few months back, I could see them adding it in a Mali quite quickly after the Volts introduction.

On a side note, I have 2 family members just waiting to buy one as soon as they can order one in. They drive to work less then 40 miles, so all in all I can see this car being a runaway success.
My Lease on the Trailblazer should be up right at that time. Then my wife can drive the Envoy. If I still have a job at GM at that time, My round trip to work is 36 miles. My wifes round trip becuase she is a teacher in the school district we live in a whopping 2 miles a day round trip. :D

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
My Lease on the Trailblazer should be up right at that time. Then my wife can drive the Envoy. If I still have a job at GM at that time, My round trip to work is 36 miles. My wifes round trip becuase she is a teacher in the school district we live in a whopping 2 miles a day round trip. :D
I have heard they might only sell in certain areas for the first year (Los Angeles, New York, etc.)

This is because supply will be low, and they will have to train dealers to do work on this car with the high voltage and whatnot.

But you can probably get one in 2011 or 2012.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts