GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As everybody has been discussing, the USA Today writes that GM is planning to introduce the Solstice, Nomad and HHR as entrants into the biche market.

Solstice, with a 240hp supercharged motor and a $20,000 price, will offer the best of both worlds- the power range of the Nissan Z (a little more with 287hp) and below the price of the Miata (which has 142hp). The car will be a winner.

Kudos on the Solstice. Unlike the GTO that has been (rightly or wrongly) chastised for its style, the local crowd which consists of engineers (many of whom have 60's cars that they show) have given the styling of the Solstice a thumbs up as long as GM doesn't water it down.

The articles goes on to explain how GM will also build the Nomad and HHR off the same (Kappa) platform which will reduce costs and assembly times.
Again, the Nomad will outpower the Mini and Mini S and hold the same price. And look better doing it.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Cool.. but the last few lines has me interested...

Nomad and HHR to be built off the same chassis?
Nomad is NOT going to get to be built, but possibly the HHR will be? And that is gunna be the smallest mini van thing ever. WTF is going on with this bs.
And the solstice wont get a blower for some time, and it will porbably be on the GXP version, and that would probably come with larger brakes, better suspension, and higher price.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry!!!
That is what happens when the writing begins before the coffee is taken.
The HHR will be on a Delta platform and have a 103" wheelbase (same as PT). It is the Solstice, Curve and Nomad that will be built on the Kappa platform. Solstice is on a 97" and 107" wheelbase.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I am still very against bringing a PT cruser like car into the market.
Is this a pre-lutz or post lutz car?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The HHR looks like a rerto of the 40's style panel trucks. From the USA Today pic, it looks a little too enclosing. This is okay for a commercial light truck but not a people mover.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
man chev is sure gearing up to have alot of hardware on their lots! i suppose if they're all well thought-out and executed vehicles it's fine... but too much too quick could be trouble. i mean a little overlap is useful, to ensure buyers have something logical to step up to, but there's a limit. chevrolets small to medium sedan portfolio is pretty expansive (even more so in canada with the optra and optra5). i guess if these niche vehicles are properly conceived and delivered AS niche vehicles for specific purposes they'll fit in nicely and not be crowded out by other vehicles.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I don't beleive anything GM says anymore until I see it in a showroom. GM is going to do this, GM is going to do that. BLA BLA BLA! I have been hearing this bleep for 25 years. J. Wilson Beancounter, GM spokesman says, by god we are going to beat the **** by 2027. Just wait and see. Excuse me! You have a platform, KAPPA, that is a gem and still cannot figure out what to do with it. Toyota and Honda are and always will be laughing at you, have another martini suits.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Feb 19 2004, 09:53 PM
Excuse me! You have a platform, KAPPA, that is a gem and still cannot figure out what to do with it.
well i don't know that they don't know what they're doing with it... from what i see it's just the GMi members who don't know! we're all guessing and planning and deciding (which is all in good fun), but i'll ALSO wait and see what comes out before i slam GM's use of this wicked platform.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Kappa? screw Kappa. Only thing your gunna get out of that is a bunch of small roadsters or other tiny underpowerd sports cars. The future is in Zeta. RWD/AWD chassis in multiple configurations to develop different sizes could make great cars for a range of prices. Kappa has a very limited life in the small car market. People that are looking for a car that size wont want a RWD car because of the "dangers" that go along with RWD handing in bad condition situations. This market is still FWD territory. What woudl be nice is to see if Kappa can become AWD. This could open up not only a new line of small cars for GM, but Subaru will want the chassis too. As of right now Zeta is the key to GM's future in major market share in mid sized sedans. This chassis can also bring along more halo cars other then the Vette and XLR. GTO and Camaros, cars that will bring people in because they are closer in price then your vette. Zeta is key to a lot of things. Crossover SUV's, mid sizedlarge sedans, sporty coupes, and even small trucks.
Zeta is gunna be a big hit for GM.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Feb 20 2004, 02:46 PM
Kappa?  screw Kappa.  Only thing your gunna get out of that is a bunch of small roadsters or other tiny underpowerd sports cars... This market is still FWD territory.
i'd say there's a market for this stuff... GM just isn't in it yet. i applaud any move into a new market, as long as it's well executed. and the fact that it's an affordable market makes it even more exciting. "dangers" in bad conditions... ooohhh these cars are gonna be fun :) should be trouble for a RWD virgin such as myself ;)

at the same time, sounds like you're right... the zeta platform'll support a more varied and mass-appeal group of cars. i'll assume zeta has/is being designed to support the variety of vehicles you mention? it's always so much more encouraging to have a platform designed with the vehicle in mind, and not as an afterthought (like many of the covertibles of yore... squeaky, bendy firebird 'vert, anyone?!?)!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Just remember one thing about the Zeta platform and any high powered cars that are built off it and this also includes truck platforms. Gasoline is around $1.65 a gallon give or take a few cents. What if gas starts to cost $3 to $4 a gallon? THATS never going to happen you say. Yeah and I wasn't sitting in a quater mile long gas line in the 1970's. This country imports over half its oil and that is rising every year. Most of the oil is in countries run by criminals and idiots. We need developed small patforms just in case. Either that or convert to an alternate source of energy that can be produced in the USA and you can have any kind of car/truck you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts