1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detroit Free Press

October 16, 2014

Article Quotes:

DELTA TOWNSHIP – General Motors Co. plans to add nearly 210,000 square feet to its Lansing Delta Township assembly plant as part of a $37-million expansion of the facility that turns out three popular crossovers.

The township's planning commission this week unanimously approved a site plan that would add on to the factory's body shop and general assembly facility.

GM has not confirmed any plans for the Delta plant, where the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse and GMC Acadia full-size crossovers are built. A spokeswoman said only that GM is "developing a business case for a potential future investment" that could increase production.

But the new details shed light on the scope of the Detroit carmaker's proposed project, even without knowing what GM plans to do with the extra space. A larger body shop and general assembly building could allow the company to add or retool assembly lines, steps often taken when preparing to build a new or redesigned vehicle.

The expansion, spanning close to 5 acres, would add more than 181,000 square feet to the north and south ends of the body shop, and roughly 28,000 square feet to the north end of the general assembly operation.

The Delta factory already is a flexible plant, meaning it can adapt quickly to build a variety of vehicle styles. Expanding it could help it prepare if GM decides to build a new or redesigned vehicle there, said Bill Reed, president of United Auto Workers Local 602, which represents Delta's hourly employees.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I would like to see a mid sized light cargo van based on the lambda's a bit like a cross between the Astro and the RAM ProMaster as full size "euro vans" are getting a LOT bigger then there OLD American counterparts + the 1/2 tonne version is dead at GM

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
interesting if a caddy version would be made. but i think it would take away from buick enclave and arcadia denali sales.

i still feel that Caddy should be about RWD luxury platforms and Buick about FWD luxury platforms. that is one way so they do not overlap.

Reactions: Carguy

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
interesting if a caddy version would be made. but i think it would take away from buick enclave and arcadia denali sales.

i still feel that Caddy should be about RWD luxury platforms and Buick about FWD luxury platforms. that is one way so they do not overlap.
The only FWD Cadillac products that should exist are a sub-ATS sedan, and the smallest hatch or CUV they're going to offer. Other than that, all Cadillacs should be RWD.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Seems doubtful. I think it'll will continue to be a Chevy/GMC/Buick Platform, we just may see 2 different wheelbases.
It's pretty much confirmed that the next Generation Acadia will also underpin a Cadillac, so I'd think that would the SRX NG.

Buick and Chevrolet may in fact get a different wheelbase.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Are Lambda dead soon? When does a GMC Acadia replacement come? My wife is itching for a replacement and I won't spend $65k on a new Yukon.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.