GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GM pinches every penny to stay alive, pushes for Chrysler merger

By Sharon Silke Carty, USA TODAY

DETROIT — In its fight for survival on many fronts, General Motors is pushing to save every penny it can, even pressing plant workers to shut off lights, turn off air compressors and lower the heat.
The drive to pinch pennies came two weeks ago, says David Green, president of United Auto Workers Local 1714 in Lordstown, Ohio, when the plant there was told workers could no longer work overtime. Workers decided to cancel a bake sale they hold each year for the Toys For Tots program because GM wouldn't let some line workers earn pay while working at the sale as it has done in the past.

"They're in def-con mode, or at least that's what it feels like," Green says. "I started here in 1989, and I've never seen it like this. … Every little thing we can do, we're doing. It's really quite amazing."

GM leaders appear to be doing everything they can, too, to ensure survival. CEO Rick Wagoner was in Japan discussing help from Toyota Motor, according to Kyodo News there. Toyota denied the report.

GM executives back home continue to push for government aid and a deal to take over Chrysler.

Wagoner, who is working hard to assemble a GM-Chrysler merger in order to tap into Chrysler's $11.7 billion in cash, would be CEO of the combined company, according to a source with direct knowledge of the talks who would not be named because the talks are private and remain sensitive and fluid.

GM on Wednesday reported global sales were down 11% in the third quarter, a sign U.S. troubles have spread to world markets that had been bright spots. Three of GM's four regions saw declines.

"The reality of the situation is that the last quarter has seen unprecedented turmoil in the financial markets in many places around the world," says Mike DiGiovanni, GM's executive director of global markets and industry analysis. "Uncertainty definitely was the watchword to the third quarter."

Green is waiting to hear whether GM's new small car, the Chevrolet Cruze, will be made at Lordstown as planned in 2010 or be delayed. Automotive News reported Wednesday that the automaker is postponing nearly all product development spending in 2009 and 2010, which would affect the Cruze.

Joseph Phillippi, an analyst at Auto Trends Consulting, says the penny-pinching moves may not be a sign that GM is running out of cash.

"You could take it in the most dire of ways, but I think a lot of this is to instill into everyone, whether it be top management … down to the plant floor, the sense that we need to focus and watch all of our costs," he says. "There are plenty of reasons to do that even when you're making money. … You don't need lights burning in the men's room 24/7."

Full text: http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2008-10-29-gm-toyota-sales_N.htm

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Hurricane;1550428 [b said:
Workers decided to cancel a bake sale they hold each year for the Toys For Tots program because GM wouldn't let some line workers earn pay while working at the sale as it has done in the past.[/b]

Lemme get this straight. They cancelled a charity event for a good cause because GM wouldn't pay them to work the bake sale?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Workers decided to cancel a bake sale they hold each year for the Toys For Tots program because GM wouldn't let some line workers earn pay while working at the sale as it has done in the past...

GM leaders appear to be doing everything they can, too, to ensure survival. CEO Rick Wagoner was in Japan discussing help from Toyota Motor, according to Kyodo News there.
Priceless juxtaposition (assuming the trip to Japan was a legit report) of behavior. The peons are [rightfully] cutting costs wherever possible, but the fat cats are flying around the world and enjoying posh accommodations-he didn't stay in a Capsule Hotel, I betcha-when a simple video-conferencing call would suffice, especially for a company burning through ten figures monthly and that's also going to Washington with hat in hand begging for all sorts of taxpayer moneys.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I cannot wait until this MERGER happens! As a fan of both the Chrysler and GM comps... I think it would be great for them to join forces. I like the Nissan/Renault idea a little better though. But I don't want to see neither Chrysler or GM go!! SO LET IT HAPPEN!!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Just get rid of some of Chrysler vehicles (COMPASS, CALIBER, COMMANDER) also get rid of the CHEVY HHR.

·
Banned
158 Posts
The gall of the UAW never ceases to amaze me.
Me either, Im a tech for a Chevy dealer and get paid less an hour to do a job that no plant employees could do? I've been to assembly plants and the jobs are basically idiot proof.Im all for good paying jobs but in my opinion GM and all american auto manufacturers would be much better off to go non-union. Then they could pay these guys what they're worth.About 12 bucks an hour.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Me either, Im a tech for a Chevy dealer and get paid less an hour to do a job that no plant employees could do? I've been to assembly plants and the jobs are basically idiot proof.Im all for good paying jobs but in my opinion GM and all american auto manufacturers would be much better off to go non-union. Then they could pay these guys what they're worth.About 12 bucks an hour.
I've been a auto tech for the past 20 years AND I COULD'NT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sharon's been drinking too much Red Bull. Sharon calm down, nothing is going to happen to GM.

Sharon needed a story today to meet her quota of twenty-five, so she decided on some poor hapless information that has less roots than an air plant. Sharon go home and walk your dog, then do something constructive, like knit a battleship. GM will be around a lot longer than you, even if you meet your quota of twenty-five earth shattering news articles a day.

Yes Sharon a story about Manatees on wheels will be of interest to retirees in Florida. God knows, no eighty year old want to be run down by a speeding Manatee.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I believe there is more to this bake sale story. Now if management is not going to let them work the sale on the clock (not saying this is right or wrong) then they would have to take time off to work the bake sale. So that means on the day of the sale you have to get a day off approved by management and its almost deer season. A lot of people (on both sides) use their vacation days to hunt so getting a day off is almost impossible because other people had their time off scheduled since february or march. This will probably get rescheduled once they figure out who can get the time off to run it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.