GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ORION TOWNSHIP — Once wracked with labor woes and quality problems, General Motors Corp.’s Orion assembly plant has emerged with a more secure future as it prepares to build the 2005 Pontiac G6 and add 300 jobs next year.

GM is investing $300 million to upgrade the 21-year-old plant’s main assembly line and body shop in preparation for the G6, which goes into production in August.

The G6 replaces the Grand Am, a perennial best-seller for Pontiac. The plant is also poised to build future products based on the same underpinnings as the G6, GM officials said Tuesday during a media tour.

“The $300 million investment will go a long way to ensuring the security of the workforce,” said Richard Shoemaker, vice president in charge of GM for the United Auto Workers union.

Orion assembly is now operating on one work shift with 2,200 employees as it phases out production of the Buick LeSabre and Park Avenue sedans. LeSabre production is moving to GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck plant and the Park Avenue is being discontinued.

At the same time, the plant is building pilot models of the G6 and undergoing renovations.

When a second shift is added during the first quarter of 2005, 300 jobs will be added and the plant will pump out more than 200,000 vehicles a year, said plant manager Jamie Hresko.

Production of the G6 sedan will start in August. Output of a coupe model will follow next year. A version with a long, retractable hardtop will be launched in October 2005, said vehicle line executive Gene Stefanyshyn.

Full Story HERE

5,934 Posts
Great news ! This is about 10-15 years late in occuring. The G6 should be a world class, and legitimate competitor to the best of Honda, Toyota, and VW.

I'll have to see it for myself when it appears in dealerships.

The big unknown now is, WILL, people who presently own Honda, Toyota and VW, be caught 'alive' in a Pontiac?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Awesome to see this. I have high expectations.

If the product is good, they will come. Mazda earned a lot of respect with the Mazda 6 and RX-8. Perhaps The G6 and Solstice will do the same for Pontiac.

But they really need to get the 175hp 4-cyl. and 3900 engines in there, and the coupe and convertible versions - the critics cries of "rebadged Malibu" will be heavy until then. And they need to cut the dead weight with the old Grand Am as soon as possible. The Grand Am is THE Cladding-Mobile of Pontiac.

It is also ESSENTIAL that for good reviews the 3900 come with a manual transmission (from Saab's 9-3). We know the 4-cyl will, but I'm waiting to see all of the configurations.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@May 26 2004, 02:40 PM
Awesome to see this. I have high expectations.

If the product is good, they will come. Mazda earned a lot of respect with the Mazda 6 and RX-8. Perhaps The G6 and Solstice will do the same for Pontiac.

But they really need to get the 175hp 4-cyl. and 3900 engines in there, and the coupe and convertible versions - the critics cries of "rebadged Malibu" will be heavy until then. And they need to cut the dead weight with the old Grand Am as soon as possible. The Grand Am is THE Cladding-Mobile of Pontiac.

It is also ESSENTIAL that for good reviews the 3900 come with a manual transmission (from Saab's 9-3). We know the 4-cyl will, but I'm waiting to see all of the configurations.

Ming - you hit the proverbial nail on the head yet again. GM / Pontiac needs to get this right and have ALL the engines and tranny's out at once. Trickling them to market is going to bring all sort of Malibu comparison right from the get-go. They need a Honda and Toyota sumo slam right from the start!

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am quite excited about the G^ and it seems as though GM is going all out for it, i.e. updating the plant and such. I'm sure this car will be very heavily advertised, adn i think it will do great. finally there going to put strong engines in the "grand am." the ram air v6 was fine, but now the 200hp and 240hp are available, so this car should really move. and we havent even seen teh gxp numbers yet. i'm just getting great vibes about this car, and i think the public will like it. i have a german friend who hates american cars, but even he thinks the g6 is cool. and everyone i've shown the panoramic roof too thinks that it is awesome. although i think pontiac's should have their grills more indented a la boneville sle, grand am gt, and original vibes, i still think these cars will rock.

·
Registered
275 Posts
quick comment. i notice that some pages list the saab 6-speed as the f25, which i assume is the g6 trans, but i when i find the f25 trans on gmpowertrain, its the 5-speed. now whats up with that?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by mybirdrocks+May 27 2004, 02:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mybirdrocks @ May 27 2004, 02:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@May 26 2004, 05:06 PM
The G6 should be a world class, and legitimate competitor to the best of Honda, Toyota, and VW.

i doubt it but ok if you think so [/b][/quote]
Why wouldn't it be?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
i doubt it but ok if you think so
Why wouldn't it be? [/QUOTE]
The lack of a manual transmission, a 4-speed auto, and a pushrod engine will give it unfavorable press in the beginning, which is too bad (because it will be a great car from what I can tell).

One thing to keep in mind is that the G6 will more likely be a Maxima and Mazda 6 competitor (when all of the trim levels, engines, and transmissions arrive). The styling is just a bit too sporty for many folks (who would choose a Malibu instead), and like the Maxima and Mazda6 it will attract people not so much on name, but on value, features, and looks. Camry and Accord win instant buyers every year from name recognition like the Ford F-150, Suburban, or Ford Explorer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts