·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GM Opens New Advanced Vehicle Test Track Near Toronto, Canada
Carscoops
By Sebastian Bell
February 18, 2021

GM is expanding its operations in Canada as it has just completed work on the Canadian Technical Centre (CTC) McLaughlin Advanced Technology Track.

The facility was opened near GM’s Oshawa plant, about 40 miles away from Toronto. The four-lane, oval-shaped track will allow the automaker to test advanced technology and vehicle software for endless miles if it so chooses. Speeds in the four lanes range from 60 km/h to 100 km/h (about 40 to 60 mph).

The 55-acre test site is just the latest wing of GM’s Canadian Technical Center, joining campuses in Markham, Ontario and its Kapuskasing Proving Grounds in northern Ontario.
*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
Good for Canada, Engineering work is far much more valuable than assembly
+1
Exactly. And Canada is much better suited to do automotive R&D work than final assembly.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,224 Posts
Good for Canada, Engineering work is far much more valuable than assembly
Oshawa assembly is coming back on line with trucks soon.

My understanding is they may be assembling EVs eventually which makes sense. Ford Canada's largest plant just down the street from my office is going all EV by 2025.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
the Ontario govt has bean "supporting" research into AI / computer learning autonomous vehicles ETC
and there are some VERY GOOD schools in Ontario for robotics /AI-ML
not to mention Canada has "better" IP / copyright laws as far as research / education is concerned and DMCA-copyright laws are a big hindrance to AI and ML research as it involves a LOT of DATA being fed into computer systems

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
the Ontario govt has bean "supporting" research into AI / computer learning autonomous vehicles ETC
not to mention Canada has "better" IP / copyright laws as far as research / education is concerned and DMCA-copyright laws are a big hindrance to AI and ML research as it involves a LOT of DATA being fed into computer systems
+1
That combination of a strong legal framework for intellectual property, university programs in automotive engineering, existing R&D capabilities, and smart people makes Canada one of the few countries in the world that are well suited to developing and testing advanced technologies for the automotive industry.

·
Premium Member
33,269 Posts
That is good to know. AI seems to be advancing in capabilities though not at the speed with which industry talk portrays it to be advancing at.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
With a move like this their future is even more firmly entrenched I guess. I hope it works out for them and am glad too that it went to Canada instead of some other place than here maybe.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
That is good to know. AI seems to be advancing in capabilities though not at the speed with which industry talk portrays it to be advancing at.
AI / ML research requires LOADS of DATA to "play with" and in a "post facebook" world DATA "privacy" and copyright / DMCA laws hamstring DATA collection / usage - say you want to LOAD in news headlines into a computer and generate statistical "trends"( to train a ML processor) you NEED to acquire the news articles and have LEGAL permission to use it and the USA has NO provisions for that where in Canada there are provisions that cover "research / education" usages and we are talking about research NOT using data commercially
places like CHINA are a LOT "less tight" about data and "privacy" / IP rights and will out perform "the west" when it comes to supercomputing / AI / ML "technologies"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts