GM Inside News Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
The worst part is you probably purchased the van at the dealership that refuses to deal with the problem.
Bumper-to-bumper is the guarantee. Nowhere does the GM guarantee discriminate how a motor leaks lubrication.
Seals, such as lip and rim, do work on the rotating shaft being coated with oil but this coating is very thin and the amount of oil that escapes is designed to be minute; in fact microscopic.
Having designed and worked with machinery for 35 years, I must admit that sealing is one of the most difficult factors. Both the design and the manufacturing quality must be cutting edge for the assembly to be leak proof. In this regard, I am always amazed at the sealing quality of auto manufacturers.
One thing that I also know is that your everyday auto mechanic is hard pressed to duplicate the level of sealing attained at the mfrs plant. Most do not understand or appreciate the level of cleanliness involved. Maybe this is why the shop didn't want to fool with it.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
After buying 3 cars there, I am sure that the dealership's owner will be available to hear your complaints. Instead of going to the same maintenance super, ask to see somebody else or the district manager.
There is one thing that is black and white and that is losing a repeat customer.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
It's July 8 and you are still wrestling with the problem. That is a shame.
And I had just added my opinion to the Honda quality thread in recalls and maybe I should step back and give the Japanese mfrs credit for controlling their dealerships which is their first line of maintenance.
My daughter reported that during a routine oil change, the local Honda dealership told her that her front struts were starting to fail. With her consent, they repaired the car (no charge-under Honda's used car warranty) and she was on her way. They could have done nothing because she had no suspicion of the condition but they didn't. Bottomline, the dealer turned a bad situation into reinforcing the perception that the mfr stands behind their product.

53,000 Miles and you have major engine work that GM is shirking. That says a lot about GM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.