10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.2L DOHC VVT ECOTEC

5-speed manual transmission 25/36
4-speed automatic transmission 22/31

2.4L High-Output DOHC ECOTEC

5-speed manual transmission 22/32

GM needs to advertise the 2.2L cobalt with the manual transmission more on national commercials. I know there was talk about giving the car some kind of badge, but I think it needs to go farther. National commercials that trains Americans to associate the Cobalt with a fun to drive fuel efficient car with a manual transmission would be a positive thing.

Marketing dollars to dealerships to advertise the 36mpg 5 speed Chevrolet, and the dealerships will need to stock this car. Extra incentives should be given to the dealerships that move 36mpg Cobalts.

There should be a companywide push to move this particular setup. It's a huge selling point for a decent car that is getting long in the tooth.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Wow, if these numbers are what we can see in the real world, the Cobalt just went from a car I'd consider to the car I'd buy. I really value fuel efficiency, and already liked the Cobalt... I'd take a 5-speed 'Balt no problem! No fancy options... as base as it comes.

·
Registered
443 Posts
2.2L DOHC VVT ECOTEC

5-speed manual transmission 25/36

2.4L High-Output DOHC ECOTEC

5-speed manual transmission 22/32

GM needs to advertise the 2.2L cobalt with the manual transmission more on national commercials. I know there was talk about giving the car some kind of badge, but I think it needs to go farther. National commercials that trains Americans to associate the Cobalt with a fun to drive fuel efficient car with a manual transmission would be a positive thing.

Marketing dollars to dealerships to advertise the 36mpg 5 speed Chevrolet, and the dealerships will need to stock this car. Extra incentives should be given to the dealerships that move 36mpg Cobalts.

There should be a companywide push to move this particular setup. It's a huge selling point for a decent car that is getting long in the tooth.
thing is, i can easily get 38mpg on the highway (going 70) in my 07 5-speed LS. So i wonder if they just calibrated it differently or something....

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I just seen the 2009 Corolla commercial that states the Corolla gets 35 mpgs on the highway, GM has Toyota beat?

2009 Toyota Corolla Specs:
Base MSRP: $15,250
Standard Engine: 1.8L 132 hp I4
Standard Transmission: 5-Speed Manual Overdrive
Fuel Economy 27 / 35

2008 Chevy Cobalt Specs:
Base MSRP:$13,925
Standard Engine: 2.2L 148 hp I4
Standard Transmission: 5-Speed Manual Overdrive
Fuel Economy:24 / 33
*This is the 2008 model listed on www.autos.msn.com
Effective March 17th, Cobalts paired with the 5 speed manual now get a 36 mpg on the highway, besting Toyota's efforts.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That's fantastic news! GM definately needs to tout the fact that they get better gas mileage -and- has more HP in the Cobalt than the Corolla. The only downer is that the Corolla still gets better city mileage.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
36 is like 40mpg under the old rating system!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
They so need to make the Cobalt better looking...
Chevy needs to not only tell them about the Cobalt doing better then Toyota, BUT IT MAKES MORE POWER!!
More power...more economy...what more could you ask for? Chevy.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Those city mileage numbers are pretty sad. 24 vs 27 (Corolla)? I mean, the few extra highway MPG are nice, but for those of us who drive city mileage a lot...

Sadly, I know GM won't even advertise this hard.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Which means that it could be done with a light foot.

It's too bad the Cobalt sedan looks like it does. The last generation Cavalier has more exciting lines...
Actually, with just following the speed limit, anticipating slowdowns to minimize stops and starts, etc., I was beating the old EPA highway numbers for all my vehicles by around 5 - 10%. So over 40 is achievable..

And I like the Cobalt sedan's styling, inside and out. Bit softer materials could help though.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I just seen the 2009 Corolla commercial that states the Corolla gets 35 mpgs on the highway, GM has Toyota beat?
According to toyota.com, the Corolla is rated 27/35 with the 4sp auto (interestingly, the manual is marginally worse at 26/35). Considering the vast majority of buyers go for automatics, it's hard to claim "GM has Toyota beat" in this case.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
They need to make the HO 2.4 optional on all Cobalts. The Sport is the only one that gets it right now.
No more sport anymore, only the Sport appearance 2LT if I remember correctly. Sport name was dropped (GM ran out of badges from their stock made;))

CobaltSS

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
According to toyota.com, the Corolla is rated 27/35 with the 4sp auto (interestingly, the manual is marginally worse at 26/35). Considering the vast majority of buyers go for automatics, it's hard to claim "GM has Toyota beat" in this case.
I'm referring to a manual transmission Corolla and Cobalt. Which according to www.autos.msn.com, the 2009 Corolla is rated for 35 mpg on the highway, while the 2008 Cobalt (XFE) receives 36 mpg on the highway. Therefore in that aspect, GM has Toyota beat, and the worst part is, the Toyota is new for this year, the Cobalt has 1-2 years left...

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Just about a stick shift ANYTHING will rot and grow tumbleweeds in most
sales markets !!!!!!!! But there are a few exceptions like a Vette or other
sports car and certain truck models etc......

Nothing sucks worse IMO than a stick shift econo. box car for daily use..........
Unpleasant to drive and about impossible to resell unless its dirt cheap
or ya luck out and find a stick shift fanatic !!!!!!!!!!
Now imagine that same car with NO AC!.............miserable!

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just about a stick shift ANYTHING will rot and grow tumbleweeds in most
sales markets !!!!!!!!
Honda, Mitsubishi, MINI, Jeep, and BMW doesn't seem to have the problem moving them.

Oh...but they actually keep a few stocked on dealers lots (and come standard with A/C).

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
They need to make the HO 2.4 optional on all Cobalts. The Sport is the only one that gets it right now.
I think they would be better off making stability control standard or at least optional on all models. Don't make me get a less fuel efficient powertrain just to get such an important safety feature.

Can't wait to see what the numbers are going to be on the '09 models. Hopefully the automatic gets a good bump up in FE as well. They do really need to improve the city mpg as well. Hwy FE maters more to me but for much of the population that is stuck in gridlock they need better city FE.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I wonder what the 'Balt would get with a 6-speed auto....

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Honda, Mitsubishi, MINI, Jeep, and BMW doesn't seem to have the problem moving them.

Oh...but they actually keep a few stocked on dealers lots (and come standard with A/C).
Your kidding right? Do they still sell mitsubishi?
Sure the tighwads that drive stripped hundas gotta have a stick and the bmw is a sports
car anyhoo!
Never seen a stick Commander, Grand Cherokee either...........Maybe a OLD CJ or
a new wrangler but they had no A/C..................................

You may continue to split hairs tho.......carry on!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts