GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Originally posted by 87GN&98VET+Apr 20 2004, 04:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (87GN&98VET @ Apr 20 2004, 04:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-desmo9@Feb 27 2004, 12:54 PM
Weight of a truck has almost no bearing on highway mpg, where the low-20s figure comes into play. Aerodynamics, rolling resistance, and gearing are about it.
You're kidding right? I hope so because weight has a HUGE effect on gas milage. What do you think effects rolling resistance (besides tires)?

Diesels cost more because the cylinder pressure is so much higher that premium materials / components are required. What I don't get is that if the OEs put as much $$ into developing SI engines such as 42 volt systems, electric water pumps, steering pumps, AC compressor, etc, pneumatically controlled valves, regenerative braking, the list goes on - the economy might be as good or better than diesels. Gain efficiency by increasing volumetric efficiency through turbocharging and reduce pumping loses. [/b][/quote]
No, no kidding. Weight has a negligible effect on rolling resistance, especially negligible compared to wind resistance. Weight impacts city mileage figures, but as long as you're fairly steady on the throttle and keep appropriate pressure in the tires, weight has very little impact on the highway figures. If you don't believe me, throw 1500 pounds in the bed of a pickup, pump up the tires a bit, and hit the highway.

· Registered
4,494 Posts
Originally posted by airbalancer@Mar 20 2004, 12:58 PM
Why should there be a premium for a diesel? Why are paying an extra $1000.00 for 5.3 l over 4.8l ?
I think they put a premium on because lemmings like we are will pay it. :chef:
The $1K premium on a 5.3 over a 4.8 is indeed a fleecing by the marketing division, but the diesels do cost alot more to build. From their substantial lower ends to their injector technology, more content is involved. But like the premium of the 5.3, the $5K Duramax premium is rather inflated. But charge what people will pay, right?

· Registered
33 Posts
Who's know why GM does what they do, but I do think they should be looking into the smaller diesels as an option. If they can do it in the Asian market they can do it here. Just have to want to do it I guess. GM may warm up to the idea after Ford or someone else releases a diesel as an option. Which is typical.... <_<

· Registered
1,017 Posts
But why should GM be reactive instead of proactive. Gm could own the market with one of the first diesel compacts, not to mention the potential to open up a new sport tuner segment in North America. Stupid riceboys are willing to pay $5 gallon for their 100 octance race fuel they should have a problem with paying slightly more for a premium diesel fuel that offers better performance, and fuel efficiency than any gas engine out there...mmm diesel ZQ8....that would be awesome... :drool:

· Registered
33 Posts
GM does need to start setting the bar and not just meeting it or reacting to it when it is set by others. The Auto industry is more competitive now than ever and that is a good thing for buyers and can be a bad things for the auto manufacturers that don't consistantly put out new products....

· Registered
4 Posts
How about an inline 6 similar to the Cummins with "Duromax" power. Leaves more room in the engine bay to work on it--would be fabulous for the HMMWV! My mechanic spends way more time fixing the 6.5 V-8 in our HMMWVs because he has to remove 5 parts so he can get to the part he needs to fix/replace. That's a problem when he's trying to get armored HMMWVs on line for the next day's convoys. An inline 6 would be much better for pre-combat prep. Make it powerful like the 6.6 Duromax and it would work in commercial & military vehicles. Mr. Goodwrench would be happier too. The inline 6 would be lighter as well, which may make the crappy suspension and steering components last longer. Hey GM, how about upgrading the suspension on the armored HMMWV so they'll last more than 2 or 3 missions! Not like this is a new problem either.

· Registered
495 Posts
GM does not make the millitary Humvee(or HMMWV), it is made by AM general. The engine is now owned by AM General also, so don't expect it to be replaced in the miliatry version soon.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.