GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,828 Posts
Ford had Navistar designing a V6 PowerSmoke, but they pulled out after a lot of work had been done, and ended up having to pay Navistar a considerable amount of money for their development costs that they were now not going to recover with manufacturing the engines. I think Ford got cold feet about costs and emission regulations.

GM has done some development on a V6 Duramax, but there are no production plans for it, probably for the same reasons sited for Ford.

· Registered
3,828 Posts
Originally posted by otisunimog@Mar 16 2004, 03:35 PM
Diesel Engines make a lot of practical sense in today’s economy. First, regardless of fuel price, they help to conserve fuel. Second, with low sulfur fuel on the way in 2006 and improved injection from Bosch and others, emissions are approaching that of hybrids and even fuel cells. Third, with larger demand for Diesels, the cost difference at purchase with diminish. Fourth, life cycle cost and maintenance for diesels is lower than gas engines. Fifth, with more passenger usage, filling stations could offer Diesel without the "Big Rig" Road Tax improving cost to own.

I agree with most of your points, but I have to question your third and fourth ones.
I'm not sure that additional volume will help that much with the purchase cost of diesels. With their compression ratios, they must be built much heavier than gas engines, and I don't see additional volume bringing that down much. Plus there will always be the expense of the turbo, since it doesn't make sense to build a diesel without one.

As for maintenance being less on diesels, I have to wonder about that too. Gas engines don't need much of anything these days, just spark plugs and maybe wires around 100K. Diesel oil changes are typically more frequent and require much more oil, plus fuel filtering is more rigorous and costly. Back in the days of gas engines needing plugs, points, condensor and more every 30K, diesels definitely had an advantage here.

But I'd like to see some light-duty diesel choices too. I had a 1982 Blazer with a 6.2L diesel, and enjoyed averaging around 20 mpg, with 22-23 on the highway, and 600 miles per tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.