GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9@Feb 25 2004, 07:33 PM
The question is how many people would opt for a V6 diesel in a pickup or SUV when it'd likely be a $2-3K premium? 30mpg is a stretch in a full-size pickup, 23 is more like it.
30 wouldn't be too far off or unreasonable. A 1 ton (2500HD/3500) Duramax can do low 20s right now. For a lighter truck with 2 less cylinders, I don't think 30 is a unrealistic stretch. High 20s definetly wouldn't be. Who'd pay the premium? I'd jump at it in a heartbeat.

As a matter of fact, if any of the present truckmakers offered a modern diesel in their 15x series trucks right now, I bet it'd be a extremely hot seller. I've seen posts about this very subject in other truck forums and many guys are waiting for this to happen.

· Registered
4 Posts
Actually, I think you have it backwards. IIRC, Diesel has more energy per gallon than gasoline. Perhaps you're thinking propane?

Since the diesel engine - even a V6 - would be working less with the same gearing as a gasoline engine, it will sip substantially less fuel on the highway.

The Duramax/8.1 is a good practicle example of this. A 3.73 geared Duramax (the standard ratio in a 2500HD/3500) and a 8.1 with the Allison tranny will easily get 7-8 mpg better on the highway than the big block with comparable gearing.

· Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by desmo9@Feb 27 2004, 06:57 PM
It does seem like a smaller diesel in a half ton would be marketable, if for nothing else the torque spread and to Peterbilt soundtrack. But are these guys willing to pay $3-4 grand for it? The gas V8s are no slouch.
You're right :) Gas engines are great, but they are still so thirsty its almost ridiculous at times. The mfgs haven't pushed fuel economy developments on them because they haven't needed to, as opposed to autos where they are forced by the government and look how far they've gone. It's now commonplace for 35-40MPG mid size cars. Trucks have hardly changed at all - a person is lucky to get 20MPG on the highway with a 15x series! I don't think anyone would say that a truck should get the same fuel economy as a car, but I don't think there would be much arguement that they could be better than they are now, and diesel is a great fix - fantastic power and inherently more effecient.

I bet if they did price it accordingly - say a $2K-3K premium they would sell - and strongly at that.

Since Trucks are pretty much universally regarded as the "margin makers" for the big 3, they could probably afford to even eat a bit of the cost if necessary... even though I'm sure they wouldn't want to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.