GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44,177 Posts
WHAT'S TO MULL!!!????

GM really needs to find a way to permanently dump this albatross!!!
Delphi will never get anywhere, so long as it continues to use GM as a crutch. And GM can't move on, so long as it's attached to poor Delphi.

Let Delphi sit in Chapter 11 and reorganize the right way!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree.. GM can't keep holding the weight.. this can undo all of the good GM has done and all the progress it made in the last 2 years if Delphi can't hold its own after GM's resources was poured into it. Its a huge gamble they are taking imo. Either Invest with their trusted old supplier to have their stuff when they need it, or dump them to go elsewhere and have to redo testing and R&D and integrating another companies components into their vehicles.

·
Registered
44,177 Posts
If Delphi cannot support its own weight... then let it die!!
GM cannot continue to throw what little money it has into a sinkhole.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
GM has no choice but to throw money at Delphi, the only issue is how much.

What I don't understand is why GM doesn't have to help out American Axle too. It was owned by GM until 1994 but there doesn't appear to be any financial support that GM has to offer them unlike the situation with Delphi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Delphi was part of GM before it was called Dephi. In Michigan we had Saginaw Steering gear which was a pretty important part to GM because they made all the steering boxes for GM, but GM spun it off as Delphi about 10 years ago with other components that make up Delphi.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont understand why delphi even exists. Why can't GM make their own crap?
What is now known as Delphi was GM's way of making what it needed. The problem was that the hourly workers had the same wages and benefits as the other UAW workers. Therefore, the costs continue to raise to the point where it was cheaper to buy from other sources. We all have seen the results of chasing lower costs. Jobs contiue to leave the country! The days when the Big Three could just raise the price of their cars to cover costs are gone.

Be careful what you ask for you just might get it. Who knows maybe even your job could be outsourced.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
What is now known as Delphi was GM's way of making what it needed. The problem was that the hourly workers had the same wages and benefits as the other UAW workers. Therefore, the costs continue to raise to the point where it was cheaper to buy from other sources. We all have seen the results of chasing lower costs. Jobs contiue to leave the country! The days when the Big Three could just raise the price of their cars to cover costs are gone.

Be careful what you ask for you just might get it. Who knows maybe even your job could be outsourced.
IMO, the best way GM can help Delphi is to buy their products rather than importing . Of course Delphi would have to be as competitive as the imports to secure and maintain the sales.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
IMO, the best way GM can help Delphi is to buy their products rather than importing . Of course Delphi would have to be as competitive as the imports to secure and maintain the sales.
Therein lies the problem. Delphi can't compete using union labor. In typical union fashion, they've sucked the company dry... and then some.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Everytime equity investors 'invest' in american companies lately the management just takes the money and gives themselves huge bonuses. Now those investors are either broke or much more cautious.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
GM created the problem with Delphi. When Delphi was Pachard Electric it was forced to offer it's products to GM at cost that didn't pay the bills, because it was a GM division. GM dumped it's own company to better their(GM's) bottom line, Delphi makes the best products on the market today, it is in GM's interest to keep Delphi going. Delphi makes products for companies around the globe including Toyota and Honda, their electrical products are the best, all this talk of throw them in the ditch is born out of ignorance of the truth. Those of you wanting to dump Delphi are actually asking for another American campany to be destroyed for cheap goods from China, well when your job goes to china you will see the downside to this.

Stop blaming the unions for the mistakes of poor company management, union worker have known for years GM, Ford and Chrysler were making products that could not stand up to the marketplace, but mangagement was concerned with one thing, the bottom line. It wasn't the union workers that designed piles of crap and expected the public to lap them up, IT WAS THE DECISION MAKERS, IT WAS MANAGEMENT, THE POWERS THAT BE. If the BIG THREE had followed marketing trends rather than heading full blast toward a cliff, they wouldn't be in the mess they are in today, they have no one to blame but themselves................By the way folks, management still supports the same political agenda's that have gotten our country into the trouble it's in today, .....and we are depending on them to save our industries?......I see troubled waters, deep troubled waters.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Ahhh, the wonders of a global economy. It makes the corporate leaders fatter and screws the average worker across the globe.

I call for tarriffs on imported parts across the board. It's the only way Delphi will ever get back on its feet. How can it compete even with non-Union labor against Chinese and Indian parts manufacturers?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Ahhh, the wonders of a global economy. It makes the corporate leaders fatter and screws the average worker across the globe.

I call for tarriffs on imported parts across the board. It's the only way Delphi will ever get back on its feet. How can it compete even with non-Union labor against Chinese and Indian parts manufacturers?
Agreed, though that would take actual work and effort from our government to negotiate "fair" trade between unlike economies. Our government seems hell bent to do free trade, when free ain't exactly free. Free is great for cheap imports, but it's hell on keeping any kind of goods production and or manufacturing here. It's a vicious cycle that's just now starting to play out. As the jobs and wages continue to leave and decline so does the wealth or buying power of our economy and consumers. Soon there won't be a draw to import here, cause the consumers won't have jobs and money to spend on the cheap imported good or anything for that matter. More economic tankage is forthcoming.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I often wonder what Toyota would do in this situation. At least GM is trying to help out .
I think Toyota would give the all the upper levels of management each a small sword and tell them to "Why don't you we cut to the chase now, you know what needs to be done, save us the embarrasment".

I just hope our next president/congress will try to even the free trade playing field up a little by placing tarriffs all imported goods.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Therein lies the problem. Delphi can't compete using union labor. In typical union fashion, they've sucked the company dry... and then some.
Even with the union out, china's prices are so freakin low my aunts company has to take a loss on some parts just to keep the business from certain customers that have another part with them.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
What I don't understand is why GM doesn't have to help out American Axle too.
American Axle was purchased outright from GM, Delphi was spun off from the parent company, similar to Visteon and Ford Motor Company. At one time GM wasthe only UScompany to control production of its cars from Foundry to distribution. Electrical, engine, transmission,steering and suspension components, frames all were prduced in their own factories.
Ed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts