GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
  • 2020 murder rate in the state of Coahuila, where GM's Ramos Arizpe plant is located: 6.23 per 100,000 population
  • 2020 murder rate in Detroit, USA, where GM's corporate HQ is located: 48.8 per 100,000 population

Comparing one city to another is not a realistic comparison, when comparing two large countries.

Compare the number of homicides / murders in Mexico and the USA, and both countries’ population.

The murder rate in Mexico is many, many times that of the USA. Statistics show that a murder occurs in Mexico every 15 minutes: Crime and anti-crime security policy in Mexico in 2020

Mexico has about twice as many murders as the USA - despite having less than half of the population of the USA.

PS - Parts of Detroit are as bad as some third-world countries. It has one of the highest murder rates of all cities in the USA.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
  • 2020 murder rate in the state of Coahuila, where GM's Ramos Arizpe plant is located: 6.23 per 100,000 population
  • 2020 murder rate in Detroit, USA, where GM's corporate HQ is located: 48.8 per 100,000 population
Perhaps a more apples to apples comparison:
2019 murder rate in Michigan (couldn't find 2020 stat on a quick web search): 6.5 per 100,000.

The general point still stands... murders is not a reason to stay away from Coahuila for a Michigan-based company.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Exactly, sounds like a bunch of bellyaching over something they know little about or they know exactly what they're talking about and don't care that their complaints are disingenuous at their core - they just want to complain about Mexico production just to complain about it.
More belly acne?.....ok ok I'm stopping after this.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
We’re #1!!! So much winning!!!

·
Registered
20,429 Posts
This plant will start assembling drive units this year. Sounds like it might be the supplier for these components for all of their North American operations.

(Motor, inverter, controller and differential)
That is the engine plant I visited when I was at GM, they were making the 60 degree OHV V6 at that time; 2.8L/3.1L/3.4L.

GM was making the Aztek and Rendezvous next door.

(Looks like the plant is making HF V6 and Small block V6 and V8's now)

Exactly, sounds like a bunch of bellyaching over something they know little about or they know exactly what they're talking about and don't care that their complaints are disingenuous at their core - they just want to complain about Mexico production just to complain about it.
What do you have to share, so the outraged won't be so outraged?

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,554 Posts
Didn't they say they'd their BEV's will need less plants?
I don't know if GM ever said so explicitly, but it is true that EV and EV powertrains are likely to require less labor to assemble than their gasoline and diesel powered counterparts. UAW acknowledged this during the GM strike in 2019, when their research chief made the following statement:

UAW said:
EV powertrains are simple compared to internal combustion engines. The simplicity could reduce the amount of labor, and thus jobs, associated with vehicle production.
This of course is a good thing, and one of EV's key advantages.

·
Premium Member
35,648 Posts
While I agree with your post, you do realize that Mexico is an extremely corrupt country, with every facet of their government, military, police, etc. controlled by the violent drug cartels

If you think that the violence and murder in many of the large US cities is bad, do some research on the amount of violence and murders in Mexico. It will make the US look like a fairytale land.

There is also the issue of the US and Canada taxpayers that saved GM - Mexico did nothing to help GM, but they will benefit from GM’s expansion in Mexico.
And UAW is an extremely corrupt country...I mean outfit. OTOH, they're getting good at staffing the prison populations with former chieftains.

Murder Capital of the World, and proud to be. Well, that's former glory, but still...

"UAW" and "ability to think" are mutually exclusive.
Indeed. Muscle trumps brains.

Comparing one city to another is not a realistic comparison, when comparing two large countries.

Compare the number of homicides / murders in Mexico and the USA, and both countries’ population.

The murder rate in Mexico is many, many times that of the USA. Statistics show that a murder occurs in Mexico every 15 minutes: Crime and anti-crime security policy in Mexico in 2020

Mexico has about twice as many murders as the USA - despite having less than half of the population of the USA.

PS - Parts of Detroit are as bad as some third-world countries. It has one of the highest murder rates of all cities in the USA.
Mexico is an overachiever.

Sadly though the UAW and the Mexican Gov't are sort of like two peas in a pod. :(
My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I don't know if GM ever said so explicitly, but it is true that EV and EV powertrains are likely to require less labor to assemble than their gasoline and diesel powered counterparts. UAW acknowledged this during the GM strike in 2019, when their research chief made the following statement:

This of course is a good thing, and one of EV's key advantages.

Very good point - as the EV’s are much less complex than IC engine vehicles. Not only will there be reduced labor costs, there will be less content (although some content may be more expensive).

Now the big question: Will the manufacturers, including GM, pass on the labor, manufacturing and content savings to the consumer?

My guess: No.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Now the big question: Will the manufacturers, including GM, pass on the labor, manufacturing and content savings to the consumer?

My guess: No.
I agree. In the U.S. market, GM did reduce the base MSRP of 2022 Chevy Bolt by $5,000 compared to MY 2021. But for 2022 Bolt GM will also probably reduce customer sales incentives such as rebates and other cash allowances, which on 2021 Bolt can exceed $10,000 in certain regions prior to any tax credits from state and local governments.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
What do you have to share, so the outraged won't be so outraged?
Isn't GM going to be making this same investment at plants in the US to convert them over to EV production? If they plan on swtiching over to EV by 2035 then surely that means that their existing plants will get the same level of investment. Right?

·
Registered
20,429 Posts
Isn't GM going to be making this same investment at plants in the US to convert them over to EV production? If they plan on swtiching over to EV by 2035 then surely that means that their existing plants will get the same level of investment. Right?
Like they (didn't) at Janesville, Shreveport, Moraine, Wilmington, Van Nuys, Pontiac, Oklahoma City, Linden, Flint or Lordstown?

I don't know; you?

So UAW finally got slapped in the face. Good job mother Barrah, slap em again. I recall a lot of their leadership is in jail for collusion with Italians to force a GM merger.
Not secret (or new) that UAW President/Leadership are garbage, that doesn't make the workers bad/evil; most American's aren't despite what goes on in Washington..............

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,094 Posts
Like they (didn't) at Janesville, Shreveport, Moraine, Wilmington, Van Nuys, Pontiac, Oklahoma City, Linden, Flint or Lordstown?

I don't know; you?

Not secret (or new) that UAW President/Leadership are garbage,
that doesn't make the workers bad/evil; most American's aren't despite what goes on in Washington..............
"that doesn't make the workers bad/evil; most American's aren't despite what goes on in Washington.............." True and this could be expanded to a lot of corporate America as well at the higher levels.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Wow Van Nuys! GM's Worst Initial Quality Plant there was. Closed it down and switched the New F Body production to St. Therese Plant making A Bodies at the time with the Highest Initial Quality of any GM Plants.

Below is what happened to St Therese after cancelling the F Bodies

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,648 Posts
Wow Van Nuys! GM's Worst Initial Quality Plant there was. Closed it down and switched the New F Body production to St. Therese Plant making A Bodies at the time with the Highest Initial Quality of any GM Plants.

Below is what happened to St Therese after cancelling the F Bodies
That looks good! What is it, a toxic waste dump or a homeless encampment?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
That looks good! What is it, a toxic waste dump or a homeless encampment?
The photo InCogKneeToe shared in post #37 shows the demolition phase for the former GM Sainte-Thérèse Assembly site. After that, the site was purchased by a developer in 2004 and converted to a mixed use complex with a shopping center and residential apartments called ICI Faubourg Boisbriand.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts