GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Detroit — A day after President Joe Biden extolled the need for American workers to build a zero-emissions future, General Motors Mexico said the company is investing $1 billion to transition its Ramos Arizpe assembly plant to build electric vehicles there by 2023.
"So folks, there’s no reason why Americans — American workers can’t lead the world in the production of electric vehicles and batteries," Biden told Congress in a primetime address Wednesday. "We have the capacity. They’re best-trained people in the world. And all the investments in the American Jobs Plan will be guided by one principle: Buy American. Buy American."

GM's Spanish-language statement appeared only on GM Mexico's media site. It did not detail which electric models would be built at the plant, but it did say the assembly plant would continue producing the Chevrolet Equinox and Chevrolet Blazer, engines and transmissions. The vehicles currently built at Ramos are shipped globally, including to the United States.
Ramos would be GM's fifth EV plant in North America. GM has designated three U.S. plants to build EVs: Orion Assembly in Lake Orion, Factory Zero Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center and the Spring Hill assembly plant in Tennessee. Outside of the U.S., GM said it will invest $800 million at its CAMI manufacturing plant in Ontario for the production of a commercial electric van.

The automaker is investing billions to transition internal combustion engine-producing plants to make EVs as it aims to reach a self-imposed "aspiration" of selling only zero-emissions vehicles by 2035 — commitments that have drawn the attention of investors looking for winners in an electrified auto industry.
In a statement responding to the Mexico investment, United Auto Workers Vice President Terry Dittes, head of the union's GM Department, said: "At a time when General Motors is asking for a significant investment by the U.S. government in subsidizing electric vehicles, this is a slap in the face for not only UAW members and their families but also for U.S. taxpayers and the American workforce.

"General Motors automobiles made in Mexico are sold in the United States and should be made right here, employing American workers," he added. "That is why our nation is investing in these companies. Taxpayer money should not go to companies that utilize labor outside the U.S. while benefiting from American government subsidies. This is not the America any of us signed on for. Frankly, it is unseemly.”

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Good for GM. Stop funding thugs and extortionists and corruption in the UAW.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Agree with your sentiment re. the UAW but I'd still like to see as much production here as possible. I do get that some work will move to low cost locations though. That's just the nature of a global business.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Meh - GM has invested a ton of $$ in the U.S. also.
Exactly, sounds like a bunch of bellyaching over something they know little about or they know exactly what they're talking about and don't care that their complaints are disingenuous at their core - they just want to complain about Mexico production just to complain about it.

·
Premium Member
35,649 Posts
GM should form a spinoff company, say Genial Lektrik Motors, build plants in right to work states like almost everyone else. UAW is its own worst enemy, but they're so power-intoxicated and greedy they will never see that. Insane.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The UAW should probably keep their mouths shut with all the corruption they have had recently. If anything it should be shut down. They don't seem to understand Manufactures have to make cars in places like Mexico to sell them to other parts of world to avoid large tariffs if they come from the US. GM is trying to use all the capacity at its plants it has and not just open a new on just to satisfy the UAW.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,554 Posts
GM should form a spinoff company, say Genial Lektrik Motors, build plants in right to work states like almost everyone else.
Good idea Neanderthal, but both U.S. states where GM has EV assembly operations (Michigan and Tennessee) currently have RTW laws.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
"Taxpayer money should not go to companies that utilize labor outside the U.S. while benefiting from American government subsidies. This is not the America any of us signed on for. Frankly, it is unseemly.”
This should be updated as follows:

Taxpayer money should not go to companies that utilize labor represented by UAW while benefiting from American government subsidies. This is not the America any of us signed on for. Frankly, it is unseemly

·
Premium Member
35,649 Posts
Good idea Neanderthal, but both U.S. states where GM has EV assembly operations (Michigan and Tennessee) currently have RTW laws.
That is GM's error. That's why I said they need a spinoff corporation, I don't see any other way of getting away from the UAW stranglehold. RTW means cannot be forced to join a union. Even the Amazons said nyetski to a union by a 2:1 margin. Wonder why that is?

As I said, UAW and unions in general are their own worst enemies. When they started, they were needed and good. Got a handle on company abuse. Now they have become the abusers the companies used to be. Full circle.

·
Premium Member
33,696 Posts
As much as I am a fan of Build it here, especially the components that go into the system of systems, I find it disingenuous that the party that said fixing NAFTA was not good for America with Union Leadership support would now turn around and somehow complain when work goes to a region their party leadership has worked hard to force US industry to go into.
They told us, we had 'evolved' beyond manufacturing, we are now a 'knowledge' economy they said. Just ask the experts at the New York times.

We now live in fancy houses and breath rarified air because we are in the 'knowledge' economy.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts

While I agree with your post, you do realize that Mexico is an extremely corrupt country, with every facet of their government, military, police, etc. controlled by the violent drug cartels

If you think that the violence and murder in many of the large US cities is bad, do some research on the amount of violence and murders in Mexico. It will make the US look like a fairytale land.

There is also the issue of the US and Canada taxpayers that saved GM - Mexico did nothing to help GM, but they will benefit from GM’s expansion in Mexico.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I'm a little confused/conflicted here...because the same personality types that run around screaming 'Merica first are now applauding outsourcing jobs to Mexico...I guess it's only America first when the beneficiaries support your ideology, everyone else can suck it I suppose.

Me, I don't care either way and I'll add this: the UAW in its current form needs to die, I'm not for/against unions entirely but I'm 100% against unions that overstep their scope to the detriment of the company/industry that gives it life. I've said it before, you want to kill the UAW? You starve it out, let it shrivel up and die...& on top of its ashes, you then build a labor force that goes off corporate values and not UAW values where performance begets incentives and where there are consequences for ****ty work.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
do some research on the amount of violence and murders in Mexico.
  • 2020 murder rate in the state of Coahuila, where GM's Ramos Arizpe plant is located: 6.23 per 100,000 population
  • 2020 murder rate in Detroit, USA, where GM's corporate HQ is located: 48.8 per 100,000 population

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm a little confused/conflicted here...because the same personality types that run around screaming 'Merica first are now applauding outsourcing jobs to Mexico..
I'm a little confused by this statement, because there weren't any examples of outsourcing mentioned in this thread. Even the hypothetical scenario involving a GM spinoff company that Neanderthal proposed isn't outsourcing in the traditional sense.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts