GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TURIN, Italy -- General Motors may offer a limited run of its Italian-built Opel Astra convertible in the United States, supplier sources say.

Under a plan being considered, 20,000 to 25,000 units would be built for the U.S. market. The convertibles would be produced over a two-year period starting in 2005 by coach builder Carrozzeria Bertone.

Bertone builds the Coupe and Cabriolet versions of the lower medium-class Astra. Bertone produced 22,000 Astras last year, down from 35,000 units in 2002 and 33,000 in 2001.

Source: AutoWeek

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think that's a cool idea. It may get people wanting all of Opel's cars in America and it can only make GM sales better right? ;)

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
A Saturn Maybe? I was under the impression that Saturn might be getting some of the Opels in their stable. Maybe I'm mistaken though...

·
Registered
67 Posts
very nice.....Sunfire replacement?? id like to see that with the pontiac all over it..perfect replacement for the Sunfire and if Saturn gets one at least change some of the interior and some exterior features

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Originally posted by jarsworldcom@Jul 12 2004, 03:55 PM
It would be nice to know as what? A chevy, SAAB, or even an Opel?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I doubt that America is ready for another brand (Opel) in this market. I'm assuming that it would be marketed under another GM brand. I suppose Buick would do well with the car, and it certainly needs an image builder like that. Didn't Buick used to sell Opel's in the 60's?

With Saturn getting a Kappa car, I'd vote for this thing going to Buick and pricing it in the high 20s.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Several years back I used to lament the Astra convertible's absence from the US market. After accounting for recent Kappa and G6 convertible developments, I'm beginning to wonder how many relatively inexpensive convertibles the US market can endure.

I guess we'll find out.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Chevrolet Cobalt convertible, since they share the platform. However, I think it would be nice to keep it the way it is and do the ol' "sell it through another division" routine Buick, just like the GT. I think with the right advertising it could bring Buick alot of new people into their dealers.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I can't imagine that they would give it to Chevy as another model. Some Chevy dealerships are already complaining that they have too many models.

Saturn is a very good possibility but they already have a Convertable coming to the market (the Curve concept was a convertable right?).

I think it's going to be too inexpensive and unluxurious to be a Buick (unless Buick is going that way).

Pontiac? Possibly but they also have a convertable coming.

They only way it makes sense to me is to restyle it as a Cobalt convertable or keep it as an Opel.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Don't assume this is the current gen Astra. I recall reading about Opel or Vauxhall continuing to sell old gen Astra Convertibles a few months back. What does the Italian factory currently build? Until?

·
Premium Member
34,836 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@Jul 12 2004, 03:11 PM

Italian built means quality problems and issues. They use lazy north African immigrants with little or no formal education in their factories

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Originally posted by oldsintrigue00@Jul 12 2004, 04:18 PM
very nice.....Sunfire replacement?? id like to see that with the pontiac all over it..perfect replacement for the Sunfire and if Saturn gets one at least change some of the interior and some exterior features
I agree that would be a BRILLIANT and unique to Pont. in the US model. They should do a Coupe and Sedan version for Pontiac allso. Call it the G4!!!! ;) :D

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I can't figure this one out...where in the hell and why in the hell would they put the convertible in the line up. GM needs to focus on its core.

British Leyland had an ungodly amount of products (Triumph, Austin, Austin-Healey, MG, Jag, Riley, Rover)...of which only a ragtag group of Honda and BMW parts bin cars are left (MG-Rover)...of which ??? will be left in a few years.

GM is running amuck with half baked products--

Saab 9-7, Saabaru 9-2, poor selling GTO's, RE-badged BUICK and Saturn CSV's...the MAXX.....

Then well designed specialty cars...
like the Solstice and CTS-V.

Now a previous generation Astra that was soundly derided in Europe as a poor handling car?

When is GM gonna make a real competitive mid size and large car????

A company is built on volume. I'm sick of the lame *** excuse for a midsize car the Malibu has become. The interior is below that of hyundai, the current engine is anemic compared to its competitiors. Damnit that front end is rediculous!!!

They are working on everything except the most obvious problem. GM didn't build its way to the top on specialty products....It did with Large and mid size Chevrolets.
10 half baked space fillers don't make a cake.

I love GM as much as anyone else in here, but as a stockholder,....i'm wondering...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by AndrewGS@Jul 12 2004, 07:30 PM
Chevrolet Cobalt convertible, since they share the platform. However, I think it would be nice to keep it the way it is and do the ol' "sell it through another division" routine Buick, just like the GT. I think with the right advertising it could bring Buick alot of new people into their dealers.
the Cobalt is built on Delta...Astra is on Epsilon as is the Malibu, G6, and 9-3. Seems too expensive to make a G6 vert, and way too expensive Malibu. This is a good idea, but who is gunna get it?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Astra hatchbacks and sedans are built on Delta...the coupe and convertible are built in GM3000. Neither generation is built in Epsilon, which is larger.

There's already a G6 convertible coming. And the Astra convertible, if it were to find its way to the US soon, would be a GM3000 (not Delta) version...which would mean it could go to any division (I'm betting on Saturn or Pontiac).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Jul 12 2004, 08:02 PM
Astra hatchbacks and sedans are built on Delta...the coupe and convertible are built in GM3000. Neither generation is built in Epsilon, which is larger.

There's already a G6 convertible coming. And the Astra convertible, if it were to find its way to the US soon, would be a GM3000 (not Delta) version...which would mean it could go to any division (I'm betting on Saturn or Pontiac).
No, the new Astra (every version) is just the re-engineered old platform (GM300), because Delta wasn't ready at the time they were looking for a new architecture to support the new Astra.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts