1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM Marine Gen V 4.3L V6 Small-Block Engine Promises Better Everything
BY MIRCEA PANAIT
13TH FEBRUARY 2015

Throughout history, sailing was to civilization an instrumental element for fast development thanks to trading enterprises done by carriage of goods by maritime ways. Compared to ancient sailing, fabric foils are rarely used in this day and age ‘cos internal combustion took over propulsion duties. The latest in maritime propulsion comes from GM Marine.

When you hear “small-block”, any petrolhead automatically thinks of GM’s small-block engine family, with us since late 1954, when Chevrolet got our attention with the Gen I small-block V8. That simple 265 CID (4.3-liter) V8, churning as much as 195 HP, is genesis for General Motors’ love with the V8 engine.

CONTINUE AT AUTOEVOLUTION.COM

GENERAL MOTORS PRESS RELEASE

GM Marine’s New ‘Gen V’ Engine Has History on its Side
60-year development legacy yields durability with greater power, efficiency
2015-02-12

MIAMI – GM Marine’s new 4.3L V-6 Small Block engine for sterndrive applications is a lightweight, technologically advanced and efficient performer designed to deliver excellent performance while using less fuel than many V-6 marine engines.

It is based on the fifth generation of General Motors’ legendary Small Block architecture, which was introduced 60 years ago and powers through the 21st century with advanced performance- and efficiency-optimizing technologies, including variable valve timing and direct fuel injection.

“The Small Block was adapted for marine use soon after it was introduced and we have worked for decades with marinizers to refine the engine family for the unique requirements of powerboats,” said Gary Halligan, GM Marine engineering.

“The new Gen V Small Block architecture represents an unprecedented investment in engine design, which leveraged the depth and breadth of GM’s powertrain resources to bring to the market one of the most efficient, powerful and technologically advanced engines in the marine industry.”

The new Gen V 4.3L V-6 shares the same design attributes as the Small Block engine family found in the latest Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban trucks and SUVs, as well as the high-performance Corvette Stingray.

GM Marine's new 4.3L V-6 Small Block engine for sterndrive applications is a lightweight, technologically advanced and efficient performer designed to deliver excellent performance while using less fuel than many V-6 marine engines.

CONTINUE AT GENERAL MOTORS MEDIA PAGE

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I just stripped the 4.3L out of my project boat and it's about to be sent to the machine shop for clean up. I'd like to throw this thing into it, but I think it would be more than my entire project cost. Attach marine to anything, even if it's same exact thing that you get in a vehicle, and the price shoots through the roof.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I just stripped the 4.3L out of my project boat and it's about to be sent to the machine shop for clean up. I'd like to throw this thing into it, but I think it would be more than my entire project cost. Attach marine to anything, even if it's same exact thing that you get in a vehicle, and the price shoots through the roof.
I would LOVE spec's compared to the "old" 4.3L
depending on the year there sounds to be a "lot" of power to unlock from the 4.3L marine by 96+ vortec heads + vortec 4BBL and careful cam selection

http://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...cific/1017737-4-3l-mercruiser-upgrades-2.html

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
GM Marine Gen V 4.3L V6 Small-Block Engine Promises Better Everything
BY MIRCEA PANAIT
13TH FEBRUARY 2015

The new Gen V 4.3L V-6 shares the same design attributes as the Small Block engine family found in the latest Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban trucks and SUVs, as well as the high-performance Corvette Stingray.
LOL, Corvette and the 4.3L don't belong in the same sentence.

So true.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I would LOVE spec's compared to the "old" 4.3L
depending on the year there sounds to be a "lot" of power to unlock from the 4.3L marine by 96+ vortec heads + vortec 4BBL and careful cam selection

http://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...cific/1017737-4-3l-mercruiser-upgrades-2.html
Thanks, read that thread not too long ago actually. Thankfully this one came with an engine out of a 96-98 truck and then by the looks of a few things was turned into a marine spec. But it does have Vortec heads and I'll be putting a 4-barrel on it to give it a little extra oomph. Only thing that is hard to find is a camshaft for the roller lifter, counterbalanced, engines. Boat forums are primarily worthless when it comes to anything beyond, go down to the marine store and get the OEM Mercruiser part, which is the same exact thing in most cases as the GM part for twice the price.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Thanks, read that thread not too long ago actually. Thankfully this one came with an engine out of a 96-98 truck and then by the looks of a few things was turned into a marine spec. But it does have Vortec heads and I'll be putting a 4-barrel on it to give it a little extra oomph. Only thing that is hard to find is a camshaft for the roller lifter, counterbalanced, engines. Boat forums are primarily worthless when it comes to anything beyond, go down to the marine store and get the OEM Mercruiser part, which is the same exact thing in most cases as the GM part for twice the price.
Should try looking up the part numbers to see if it crosses with anything GM

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I have found most "marine" forums a little useless and yes add "MARINE" to the name and the price doubles

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
And, GM once again makes a typo. Can someone show me a GM built 3.0L 4-cylinder with 140 HP? :lmao:

Just buy one screw on some turbos and put it on a buick and sail the freeways
Would you be able to shut the hood on a new Buick with this truck designed engine? I highly doubt it.

From the sound of things, you might have to look at a custom ground cam, if you need one. And since this thread is about GM engines in boats, this seems appropriate.

After watching that episode, I thought to myself, "a Gen 5 4.3L V6 would be more suitable for that boat."

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
And, GM once again makes a typo. Can someone show me a GM built 3.0L 4-cylinder with 140 HP? :lmao:

GM 3.0L with an OMC Series 400 sterndrive system, early '80s.

Mercury still sells it new with fuel injection. Don't know why it lost 5 hp with multiport EFI. They made 140 with a Rochester 2 barrel (as installed in my Bayliner)...EDIT: actually it's probably due to having to have a catalytic converter.

Offered in 2.5L and 3.0L form, the industrial/marine GM ohv 4 cylinder is mistakenly thought to be based on the Pontiac Iron Duke but is actually derived from the Chevy II 2.5L

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
i always wonder why the 3.0 L 4, why not just use the dimensions of the 282 six instead?
My buddy, for a short while, owned a boat with a Mercruiser 165 hp which was the 250 ci Chevrolet inline 6. There was also a 200 hp based on the 292 ci six

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Ah good, we have part of the answer as to why no 8lxx program in a big way and years earlier, why no 'ground breaking' new bore center / new small V8 anywhere between 3.2 / 4/7Ls, no 6 / 8 diesels et al.

How could one forget - just how important Marine applications of a gen V 90 degree 4.3L V6 are for Cadillac, Buick, and GMC ?

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Ah good, we have part of the answer as to why no 8lxx program in a big way and years earlier, why no 'ground breaking' new bore center / new small V8 anywhere between 3.2 / 4/7Ls, no 6 / 8 diesels et al.

How could one forget - just how important Marine applications of a gen V 90 degree 4.3L V6 are for Cadillac, Buick, and GMC ?
I take it you would recommend saving the FEW $$ by NOT taking an already designed engine and adapting it for a customer that has bought your OLD engine for MANY YEARS when you want to STOP production of the OLD engine + the R/D would HAVE NOT seen ANY of those projects much further as the 9X/10X trans program FORD is also involved
and a "NEW" MINI block V8 would "A" be costly and "B" pointless and a GOOD oil burner is WAY MORE expensive and time consuming to R/D then a "base" pick up engine
++ I bet this engine will also be used as an industrial engine
+++ the electronics would have bean adapted for the CRATE program GEN V V8's

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.