GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM Reports 282,732 Deliveries in March; 805,720 In First Quarter

http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...ws/viewpressreldetail.do?domain=2&docid=44734

(Monthly comparison percentages are sales day-adjusted. Quarterly percentages are not adjusted.)

March Highlights

* Chevrolet Car Retail Sales Up 6 Percent Led By A 122 Percent Increase in Malibu and a 16 Percent Increase in Impala Sales
* Cadillac Retail Car Sales Up 22 Percent with a 43 Percent Increase in CTS and 6 Percent Increase in DTS
* Strong Retail Month at Saturn with Aura Up 25 Percent, Vue Up 18 Percent and Outlook Up 14 Percent, offsetting Ion
* Enclave, Acadia and Outlook Drive Mid-Utility Crossover Segment Up 45 Percent
* Saab Total Sales Up 12 Percent; GMC Total Sales Up 1 Percent

Q1 Highlights

* Retail Share Remains Stable Despite Market Pressures; Fleet Sales Down 7 Percent
* Continued Strength of Malibu, Impala, CTS and Aura Driving Passenger Car Growth
* GM’s Mid-Utility Crossover Segment Grows 47 Percent

DETROIT – GM dealers in the United States delivered 282,732 vehicles in March, a decrease of 13 percent when compared with the same month a year ago. For the first three months of 2008, GM total sales of 805,720 vehicles were down 11 percent compared with a year ago. Retail share appears to have remained stable throughout the month and the quarter.

“Our new launch vehicles, including the award-winning Chevrolet Malibu, Cadillac CTS, and our new crossovers -- Enclave, Acadia and Outlook -- had a strong month,” said Mark LaNeve, vice president, GM North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing.

“Most importantly, despite the tough economy and soft truck market, we anticipate our total retail vehicle sales share to have remained flat for the month and the first three months of the year. We are encouraged by our performance in the key passenger car categories, and we anticipate holding our share for full-size pickups and utilities,” LaNeve added.

There were several bright spots in the truck category, including GMC Sierra pickup sales that were up 4 percent total and 1 percent retail for the month. Saturn Vue total sales were up 12 percent and retail climbed 18 percent. The Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook crossovers together accounted for more than 14,000 vehicle sales in the month, an increase of * *45 percent compared with the same month last year. Outlook sales were up 18 percent; Acadia sales increased 39 percent; and there were more than 4,400 Buick Enclaves sold. The Saab 9-7X also increased its total sales 18 percent for the month. GM total truck sales for the month declined 16 percent compared with March 2007.

GM’s fuel-efficient cars saw strong growth. Chevrolet Malibu total sales were up 7 percent with retail sales up 122 percent, and Impala sales were up 10 percent total and 16 percent retail. Pontiac Vibe total sales were up 39 percent with retail up 4 percent, while G6 was up 31 percent total compared with March 2007. In the luxury car segment, the award-winning Cadillac CTS saw total sales increase 33 percent with a strong retail increase of 43 percent. The just-released 2009 Pontiac Vibe and G8 are selling as fast as they are delivered to dealers.

“For the first three months of the year, GM has four of the top-10 selling cars in the market with Impala, Cobalt, G6 and Malibu. Our sales performance in mid-cars and crossovers shows the power of new products to attract consumers – even in a tough market,” LaNeve added. “Consumers can always walk into a GM showroom and know they’ll get a vehicle with industry-leading value, great fuel economy and the best warranty coverage of any full-line automaker.”

·
Premium Member
8,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: GM Sales - March 2008

Saturn Astra in at 720 units. NOT GOOD!

Note that the press release makes no mention of the Astra
- but the newly released G8 (777 units) and Vibe (3893) are well covered. It's going to be interesting to see the Days-To-Sales number on the Astra.

According to the Automotive News data center, Saturn dealers have approx 7,500 Astra units in stock.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts

Saturn Astra in at 720 units. NOT GOOD! Note that the press release makes no mention of the Astra - but the newly released G8 (777 units) is covered. It's going to be interesting to see the Days-To-Sales number on the Astra.
I have yet to see any type (print, internet, television) of advertising for this car. I've seen a few on the nearby Saturn lot from my place, but none on the road. It looks like a neat car.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

I have yet to see any type (print, internet, television) of advertising for this car. I've seen a few on the nearby Saturn lot from my place, but none on the road. It looks like a neat car.
I know exactly what you mean. I absolutly love my car, but there is no advertisement for it. I have yet to see another one on the road. I hope they really start advertising this car or else people will call this a dud, even though it is a very good car. ......although I do enjoy having the only Astra on the road.

Lets see 720 units for 12 months = 8640 units for 1 year, ya that pace needs to be increased.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I sure hope Saturn starts to market the Astra. It would be a shame for this very good car to end up a flop.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

Aside from a quick, rear-end, unnamed shot in the "Meet the New Saturns" spot, the ASTRA is invisible to consumers.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
there have been several Astra ads in monthly magazines for months now.

I havent seen any TV ads specifically for the Astra however.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts

Aveo 2008 3,693 2007 6,793 -45.6

Can we please kill this thing and replace it with something competitive? I mean really we are past the point of saying “it needs more time, not enough people know about it” and gas prices are high. If it can’t sell good now it’s never going to sell good.

Saturn Astra in at 720 units. NOT GOOD! Note that the press release makes no mention of the Astra - but the newly released G8 (777 units) and Vibe (3893) are well covered. It's going to be interesting to see the Days-To-Sales number on the Astra.

According to the Automotive News data center, Saturn dealers have approx 7,500 Astra units in stock.
As some Saturn fans will I’m sure soon explain to you, you’re not supposed to judge Saturn by their sales numbers, you’re supposed to judge them by what people think of the brand.

I have yet to see any type (print, internet, television) of advertising for this car.
GM ran an ad for it on Yahoo and MSN’s home page the most visited sites on the whole internet.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

Which is why sales are <700. Television ads are far more effective than internet/print ads.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
...What happened to behind the times buick
When GM builds great vehicles-in this case, the Enclave-they will sell. Buick sold 4,460 of them in March, 2008 and 11,712 units YTD. Buick is relevant when GM gives them relevant product.

As far as the car side of uick's business, I guess we'll have to wait a bit, BPGTim.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts

I guess you don't watch Ghost Whisperer. Not only do they run ads for the car they have a web miniseries with the car in it.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
I guess you don't watch Ghost Whisperer. Not only do they run ads for the car they have a web miniseries with the car in it.
Well it obviously isn't breaking through! How many people watch the web miniseries, I doubt it's more than 100,000.

The only place on TV I've seen any mention of the Saturn Astra was Project Runway.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
122% increase in Malibu retail sales and the overall sales are FLAT!?!??! Did they sell ANY retail Malibus last March? WOW

Igor

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts

Aveo 2008 3,693 2007 6,793 -45.6

Can we please kill this thing and replace it with something competitive? I mean really we are past the point of saying “it needs more time, not enough people know about it” and gas prices are high. If it can’t sell good now it’s never going to sell good.
I'm not convinced GM can do any better. The Corsa would cost a fortune in the US, and GM can't even get the Cobalt to get top-of-the-class fuel economy. I have no reason to suspect that a homegrown Chevrolet Aveo would be as affordable as and get better mileage than the Daewoo version. I try to be a GM fan, but I have no faith when it comes to small, efficient cars.

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
122% increase in Malibu retail sales and the overall sales are FLAT!?!??! Did they sell ANY retail Malibus last March? WOW

Igor
No, they didn't. And the average transaction price for the new Malibu is between 5-7k higher than it was for the old car.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Great news that Aura is finally seeing a jump in sales. My parents did their part as they purchased a dark blue Aura XE last month and love it. I am really starting to see Auras everywhere - probably because I notice them more due to my parents having one.

I think it just takes Saturn a while to get momentum behind new product since they have such a small ad budget and store network. That said, I think the new Enclave sells so well because it is nearly the perfect CUV in terms of styling. I see them all over North Central San Antonio where I live. Every time I see one I think - "man that is a good looking CUV" and I am 33.

I am also starting to see lots of Malibus. Just goes to show that when GM builds a good vehicle people will buy it.

Also of note - the March 2008 Consumer Reports has a tagline on the top left cover of their magazine that says "New GM models shine". Amazing praise from CR. The feature the CTS and Malibu and have lots of good things to say about both.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts