GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
4,645 Posts
Just a reminder that GM is dependent on outside manufacturers for a lot of their scale in the EV market, as all of the Ultium battery plants are JV's.

Reactions: BlackGTP

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
Interesting development - I'd think a fourth plant would be boilerplate as far as agreements between the two.

Though it may not be a bad idea to have another supplier as a partner in case a relationship sours it doesn't bring the entire company to its knees.

· Premium Member
37,889 Posts
LG doesn't want a union workforce which their Lordstown battery plant with GM now has.
Indicating that LG management can observe and make rational conclusions. Was this union pressured? It wouldn't surprise me.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
GM has been investing in a solid-state battery company (PSOCO Chemical) and if the tech is successful, that partnership could fully replace LG by the end of the decade.

Combine that with the Bolt battery debacle, I can imagine the relationship between GM and LG has cooled over the past couple years.
POSCO chemical provides cathode and anode material for conventional lithium ion batteries. I'm sure solid state is on GM's radar but that's not something in the near future for them.

GM is working on Ultium 2.0 with SES which is a lithium metal battery company. That battery has a pure lithium anode (instead of the usual carbon) and will probably still use a similar cathode material.

Source: SES

· Registered
4,645 Posts
I can say that LG whitegoods don’t have the best reputation in my country. I mean, if this brand can’t make a decent fridge or washer, what hope is there?
I mean, they make great TV's, so what's the worry? :)

• Haha
Reactions: 61BelAir and nota2

· Registered
3,528 Posts
Interesting development - I'd think a fourth plant would be boilerplate as far as agreements between the two.

Though it may not be a bad idea to have another supplier as a partner in case a relationship sours it doesn't bring the entire company to its knees.
Agreed 100%...they need to have a backup just in case. Even if there are no issues, having all your eggs in one basket isn't a good idea.

· Super Moderator
22,746 Posts
GM has been investing in a solid-state battery company (PSOCO Chemical) and if the tech is successful, that partnership could fully replace LG by the end of the decade.

Combine that with the Bolt battery debacle, I can imagine the relationship between GM and LG has cooled over the past couple years.
Even with Bahama Todd's response in mind, eventually some kind of tech will supplant today's chemistry. Pretend this PSOCO tech is ready to go, would it necessarily end the GM/LG partnership, or would they just license it to LG/GM for production it in their current factories? I'd think whoever develops the tech would have to license it - there'd be a huge ramp up time needed to build entirely new factories, etc. to build for the world market. And, every time a new company has better tech I don't see all manufacturers writing off their current plants...

· Registered
7,852 Posts
Even with Bahama Todd's response in mind, eventually some kind of tech will supplant today's chemistry. Pretend this PSOCO tech is ready to go, would it necessarily end the GM/LG partnership, or would they just license it to LG/GM for production it in their current factories? I'd think whoever develops the tech would have to license it - there'd be a huge ramp up time needed to build entirely new factories, etc. to build for the world market. And, every time a new company has better tech I don't see all manufacturers writing off their current plants...
That depends on just how different any new tech is. If it's just a "near similar" evolution of the first, no problem, use the same plant.

But a steel foundry doesn't do you a lot of good if you decide to switch to carbon fiber. (For example)

· Registered
1,036 Posts
I can say that LG whitegoods don’t have the best reputation in my country. I mean, if this brand can’t make a decent fridge or washer, what hope is there?
They're different companies, have been for a while. LG Chem spun off battery operations in 2020.

I agree on LG's appliance quality, it's abysmal but that does mean the same for all LG's offerings.

· Premium Member
News Contributor
6,136 Posts
I think this is the key reason for the LG breakdown. Apparently General Motors is looking at moving to cylindrical cells instead of pouch cells, and I don't think LG has much experience making cylindrical cells, or the track record.

Plus with new generation battery technologies and development, GM may be getting more energy density out of the cylindrical design.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts