GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Detroit News ran a special report on auto plants. GM Lansing was singled out as being competitive with Toyota's best!

Detroit News Article

Here's the graphical comparison with other automakers' best North American plants (initial quality of the CTS trumps Toyota!):

Comparison

The rest of the articles are a good read as well:
Special Report

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
excellent! very encouraging news. it's too bad news like this doesn't stick as much with joe q. public as recalls, but at the same time productive plants and quality vehicles will eventually do more to repair the reputation of GM! and yes, that's what's left to repair, because GM's product is already there (or at least well on its way)!

133 Posts
Hmm, will the US press discuss the improvements in GM, Ford or Chrysler's quality ? Probably not. If this article is discussed, the spin will be 'why has the Japanese competiveness fell, and what should be done to improve it.'

Many US consumers are still 'brainwashed' that the Japanese are Gods. They can do no wrong. They eat sushi, and fish, which is high in protien and low in fat. They are just trying to protect their culture, etc....................

<_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
That is awesome initial quality. Only gripe I have is that it takes 12 more hours to build a CTS than a Camry. So that quality had better be good. But since it is new, I hope GM can cut down the hours per vehicle as time goes on.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 23 2004, 07:32 PM
That is awesome initial quality. Only gripe I have is that it takes 12 more hours to build a CTS than a Camry. So that quality had better be good. But since it is new, I hope GM can cut down the hours per vehicle as time goes on.
I noticed (and thought) the same things, Ming.

There's a lot to comment on, though a few salient points bear mentioning. It seems that the domestics, when inclined, can create superlative manufacturing complexes. My only hope (as usual) is that GM takes its Ritalin and focuses on continuous improvement of not only the Lansing plant but all of its manufacturing facilities. Imagine if all of GM's plants operated by Lansing's standards. Then talk about Toyota taking 15% global share and subsequently dethroning GM would seem to be wishful thinking.

I'm intrigued by the notion that GM finally will be able to produce vehicles as demand dictates. As much as I dislike Nissan, its Canton, Mississippi plant is a marvel, for sure. If Quest minivans slack in demand, they can pump up Titan production. If Titan demand weakens, they can pump up Armada/QX56 production. In other words, the potential for complete factory utilization (and fat profits and selling cars at a premium without incentives) is much more plausible than Detroit's archaic one-plant-for-one-vehicle model.

I'm an impatient man, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why it takes the domestics so long to figure these things out... though I have my guesses. And while these articles are generally encouraging, I know it will be years before GM's future plants meet Lansing's present standards.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In another article in that report, it was stated:

If all of GM’s assembly plants operated like Oshawa, the automaker would reap billions in earnings, Cole said. “Not millions or hundreds of millions, but literally billions of added profit.”
I think GM understands this, and is working on upgrading their plants. As long as they can remain profitable (and the prospects for this are looking good), they can put money into improving their old, inefficient plants.

I also agree that the build times of the CTS are quite high. We should see the time decrease significantly and capacity utilization go up with the SRX and STS added into the mix.

·
Registered
776 Posts
you know, I like to see GM succeed as much as anybody, but without incentives GM cars aren't always such a great deal. I wonder what will happen when GM finally turns around public perception. I would hate to see them turn into a Toyota, i.e. good quality cars with stupid-high stickers. At least GM's will always be more fun to drive. I question the value higher profits will have to me, the end consumer. So the GM suits bring home a ludicrous amount of money instead of just a ridiculous amount of money....what's it to me? I just want a great car for cheap.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 23 2004, 02:32 PM
That is awesome initial quality.  Only gripe I have is that it takes 12 more hours to build a CTS than a Camry.  So that quality had better be good.  But since it is new, I hope GM can cut down the hours per vehicle as time goes on.
I hope the CTS and alike take a little longer to build thatn a Camry, because to me the Camry is more of a volume car. It is ironic though that you mentioned GM improving the HPV at this plant, because thats exactly the task we are working on as mentioned in the article. I think LGR will keep producing World Class vehicals no matter what challange GM throws at us.... Now if we could get those damn engineers on the same page.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Originally posted by SilverZ@Feb 26 2004, 05:47 PM
Where are the Oshawa plants?!?! Always leave Canada out just to look good hehe
From the article.
Associates initial quality study, Lansing Grand River was rated the second-best plant in North or South America with 88 problems per 100 vehicles produced, second to GM’s Oshawa, Ontario, No. 1 plant, and fifth in the world. It scored better than any European plant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts