GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Reports June Sales of 380,267, Down 15 Percent
Cadillac Sales Up 10 Percent in June, 11 Percent for Calendar Year-to-Date

DETROIT - General Motors dealers sold 380,267 new cars and trucks in June, down 15 percent compared to June 2003. GM's truck sales (218,558) were down 15 percent and car sales (161,709) were down 15 percent. Total sales through June (2,295,621) were up 1.0 percent. Truck sales through the first six months (1,350,083) were up 3 percent compared to year-ago levels, and car sales (945,538) declined 3 percent.

"Coming off strong May sales, GM's June sales were weaker than we expected," said John Smith, group vice president North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "For the first half of the year, our sales were up slightly, led by growing truck sales and launch vehicles. For the second half of the year, we need to accelerate our selling pace and produce stronger results."

more, including sales breakdown

·
Registered
381 Posts
Down 15% from last June. Who cares. Look at the YTD values, thats what matters. Not saying those numbers are miraculous either... but we are starting to sell Malibus.. but the ION still sucks.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Once the G6 and Cobalt come out, the car sales should definately increase. Hopefully the Impala sales will stay strong but I don't think the trucks will ever hit the same numbers just because it seems like the craze is over.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I am tired of hearing it. Once this happens and once that happens. BULLBLEEP. Ford gets a new Stang in 3 months. You get a Camaro (mabey) in 2 years. Chrysler 300 is a major hit. Dodge gets it's version (Charger) next year. You get a RWD Chevy in 2019. Cobalt SS? WOW! OUTSTANDING CAR - five years ago. Malibu as Camry/Accord compeditor. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE! LOOK AT THE SALES. you say. LOOK AT THE REBATES. I say. Like I said, I am tired of hearing it. Put it on the table or shut the bleep up GM.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Jul 2 2004, 02:17 PM
Cobalt SS?  WOW!  OUTSTANDING CAR - five years ago. \
The Cobalt SS (not the supercharged one) has a better engine (more hp/torque) with the same displacement as the new Scion Tc's engine, and that car is hyped as the Second Coming of the CRX in Import mags. GM is late to the party, but well-equipped.

OTOH, Cadillac is the ONLY 100% golden brand for GM now. The other brands are saddled with muchos old product (Grand Am and Sunfire???), even while introducing new models. And Buick has nothing to match the styling success (excess?) of the 300C.

GM can't do everything at once, but it can ditch the old, for a true image makeover. Force Pontiac to sell Vibes and low end G6's, by ditching the Sunfire, for instance. And a friggin 2005 Astro is ridiculous (even though I think used ones are a good bargain)...unless strictly limited to cargo van sales, or offered with a rock-bottom MSRP (now they almost tie the much larger redesigned Express in price).

Selling ancient Blazers and Astros for over 20 thousand is a joke when you consider what else is on the market. Stop with the inflated MSRP's and ridiculous rebates of 5000 dollars already... Regardless of rebates, the customer will take one look at the sticker and say "Wha...?" :blink:

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jul 2 2004, 02:27 PM
Selling ancient Blazers and Astros for over 20 thousand is a joke when you consider what else is on the market. Stop with the inflated MSRP's and ridiculous rebates of 5000 dollars already... Regardless of rebates, the customer will take one look at the sticker and say "Wha...?" :blink:
I totally agree. I priced out a Blazer 2-door on carsdirect.com and with the options I wanted it came to $30,0000!!!!!! That is without leather and other modern features. Now If GM priced the Blazer at or close to the Equinox price, it would be a better deal for GM and the customer. Then GM would not have to offer thousands of dollars in rebates/incentives.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Why would you get a blazer instead of the Nox anyway?

The 300C is hot now, but I'm not sure how long it will keep that up. My dad is looking for a new car, and his last 4 have been chryslers. He looked at the 300C and hated it. He thought it felt overly bulky, and he hated the high belt line.

pretty soon I think the people who want them will have them, and Im not convinced it will capture mainstream sales.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Interesting to note that the over 67,000 Oldsmobile deliveries in the first 6 months of 2003, if maintained in 2004, would have given GM an increase for the period. Those buyers seem to not have gone to other GM brands and especially not Buick as I'm sure they intended since all Buick deliveries were down. Also interesting to note that they delivered a handful of new 2002 Inrigues in June - amazing there were still some around. GM is getting what they deserved for killing off the division with the best product.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, GM seem sooooo slow in coming out with new products. The Ponitac Solstice has been YEARS in the making.... GM has been developing the DOD (which I think SUCKS for only a 10% fuel milage improvement)... and here I read the new Dodge 300/Magnum has a DOD system of it's own. Why does GM take so long to get this stuff to market ? Also from current reading, the new Silverado trucks won't be out until 2007 ?? No new Camaro ? All the good looking SS models are so over priced that many can't afford them. SS vehicles should be cheaper, cause the should be stripped down slightly, less chrome pieces, mono chrome paint schemes, and more power. GM should start all vehicle platforms on SS body styling.... cause they look DAMN good, then make a true SS model even hotter, fender flares, engines, trannies, 20" rims, ect. ect. Anyway, just my two cent's worth... I want to see GM succeed so bad... it just makes me so mad to see the big GM bureaucracy slowing the progress of products. They seem to be improving, the Cobalt SS looks good... the Solstice would be great also.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
So it was a little down from a hot May? The sky is not falling in.

1-There are a lot of key products that are winding down production as their replacements come online

Cavalier
Regal
Century
L series
Seville

and all those -86.5%'s from the end of Oldsmobile production dont make the percentages look better either.

No mention of Pontiac rocking, up 12% from last year, Bonneville-up, Grand Prix-up, Grand Am-up(interesting for a model that is partially on the way out) 255,636 units, up from 227,165 units.

Trucks are down.....oh no...it's the end of the world....Toyota is going to take over the US!

Really?

Silverado-up
Colorado-up
Tahoe-up
Canyon-up
Sierra-up
Envoy-up
Yukon-up
Yukon XL-up
Escalade-up
Escalade-EXT-up
Escalade ESV-up
SRX-up
VUE-up

Big down month for trucks?

The only ones that were down, was the Suburban, Trailblazer, Rendezvous, slightly. Even the Aztek was only down like 20%. Again, what hurts the numbers are the negative 80 and 90%'s from the end of Sonoma, Tracker and S10 production, and the end of the Bravada and Shillouette.

So profitable big trucks and full size sport utilities are still selling.

The Hummer brand was down..but that could be expected from how hot the H2 was last year.

Hmmmmm............

Really bold, large, heavily styled, V8 powered vehicle experiences really good initial sales after introduction and then sees a decline in sales after the car becomes common place......does anyone see this happening with the 300C?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@Jul 3 2004, 06:09 AM
Why would you get a blazer instead of the Nox anyway?

The 300C is hot now, but I'm not sure how long it will keep that up. My dad is looking for a new car, and his last 4 have been chryslers. He looked at the 300C and hated it. He thought it felt overly bulky, and he hated the high belt line.

pretty soon I think the people who want them will have them, and Im not convinced it will capture mainstream sales.
Your dad's last four cars have been Chryslers, but he hates the 300? That sounds like my household. My dad sold and serviced Chrysler vehicles at our ex-Chrysler dealership for years. He lived and breathed Chrysler, but when he saw the 300, he wasn't exactly thrilled. He hated the high beltline most of all. The telling thing was that he said if he was looking for a new car, he would look at the Ford Five Hundred. He said that is the kind of car he wants. An Impala wouldn't be too bad either - that is what my mom wants. But, they are not in the market.

I also have to wonder when the magic wears out and these people jump on the next hottest item. Will it be a GM or Ford product? That is up to the people in charge. I just don't see the people going gaga over the 300 as being loyal to Chrysler and they will jump on the next hottest bandwagon.

Of course, there is a problem with this. The Chrysler Group is unleashing the Charger next year which is promising to be as hot or hotter than the 300. Does GM even have an answer? Once the boys in Auburn Hills have momentum, it is hard to beat it down.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Really bold, large, heavily styled, V8 powered vehicle experiences really good initial sales after introduction and then sees a decline in sales after the car becomes common place......does anyone see this happening with the 300C?
I see that happening, but are you ready for Act 2 (the Charger)?

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Yes

Is'nt the Charger going to be a sedan? I have not really heard much about what the Charger is going to look like or cost, all I have heard is "watch out for the Charger" as if it was some sort of mythical creature....I cant really be worried for GM about a car that I dont really know anything about.

It's good for Chrysler to have some victories, it's been a long time since something has gone really well for them.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Jul 4 2004, 05:09 AM
Yes

Is'nt the Charger going to be a sedan? I have not really heard much about what the Charger is going to look like or cost, all I have heard is "watch out for the Charger" as if it was some sort of mythical creature....I cant really be worried for GM about a car that I dont really know anything about.

It's good for Chrysler to have some victories, it's been a long time since something has gone really well for them.
I have heard that the Charger will be a sedan, but a coupe and convertible could pop up. I don't know what it looks like, but I'm afraid it will be a major hit, just because of the name. If Peter DeLorenzo of autoextermist thinks it will be a hit, then it proably will be. He called the 300's success. Just think of how many people on here are drulling in anticipation for the Charger - and they are suppose to be loyal GM fans. Dodge will have conquest sales while GM will sit around and look for excuses. Chrysler's gain could very well be GM's loss - and GM cannot afford more losses.

Be careful how much you pat Chrysler on the back. They can put a string of successes together and in no time be a thorn in the side of Ford and GM.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The Grand Prix is the boldest redesign/refresh GM has done in a while and its paying off. Good Work on that one. Cant wait to see the real redesign. See what happens when your not afraid to offend someones grandmother?

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I'm a little worried that any increase in new car sales won't be maintained becauase of how GM and for are going about designing/selling them. When Ford re-intorduced the Thunderbird, they styled it to appeal to a small group of people (50+ year olds who remember what it looked like years ago). What happened was everyone who wanted one bought one, but the extremly retro styling didn't gain many new buyers after that.
-While I think the new Mustang will have a little more staying power, I see somethign similaiar...a very large ammount of initial purchases by people who remember the mustang of the 60's (which the new one is clearly styled after) but a luke warm reception 12-18 months after that.
-The Chrysler 300C is kinda the same. Chyrsler is know lately for styling cars with a "love it or hate it" look to them (like the PT cruiser). What happens with that is the cars sell very well for 1-2 years then after that you need big rebates to move them. The 300c might have even more problems than the PT cruiser though because it costs much more.
-As for GM, I don't think the Cobalt will be as big of a seller as they think. The car may be a lot better looking, safer and put together better. But it is cleary aimed at the import market (looks a lot like a 2-3 year old civic) but it lacks the 2 major things that the buyer they are going after looks for: an inexpensive car (yes, the cobalt has more features but will cost thousands more than a civic) and light weight (I have some friends who are in their early 20's and REALLY into the tuner scene, when I showed them the picture of the cobalt they were intrigued, but when they found out it was going to weigh about 3,000 lbs, they Immediatly lost all interest in the car).
I might be wrong, but I see the domestic auto makers designing cars that will sell well initially, but that wont' have much staying power. The only thing I think might change this is if Ford and GM commit to redesign their cars every 3-4 years to keep them fresh.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I wouldn’t tie the future of retro design to the failure of the Ford Thunderbird. That thing was overpriced, underpowered and looked like a small pleasure boat from the 1920's, port holes and all. If you give people power, style (retro or not) and don’t overcharge them because you fell you went out of your way to do it, then the design has a chance in my book. Chrysler did not overprice the 300C just because the car makes a statement and has the power to match 60k plus sedans and they are reaping the rewards. As a package, I see the 300 being very competitive. The new Mustang may take its cues from decades back but it actually looks better than the Mustangs it referenced for heritage. The Ford Thunderbird didn’t even look as good as the original and was a rip off on the performance front. You may be right about the eventual decline of sales of these vehicles with retro (American?) design but it can’t be any worse than the declining path domestics were following to start with.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Charger shmarger, That has been in the works since 99, and I am anything but impressed. I imagine there will be a HUGE outcry of loyal mopar fans going "IT DOESNT HAVE HOODSCOOPS" or "IT HAS FOUR DOORS" for them, I will spell it out, b o o h o o.

Now if and when the charger does hit the scene, It won't be anything that isn't covered by GM's GTO/CTSV combination.

As for the 300C, see Bonnie GXP
Magnum? See 05 5.3L Grand Prix

you may say .."But nocturn, the mopar versions are RWD"

I ask you, whens the last time ANYONE really cared about which wheels turned. PLUS the fact that both poncho versions will most likely go RWD in 2-3 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts