GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18,880 Posts
1,000 takers for the XT6, not to shabby. Actually, kind of surprising me that the XT5 continues to do well. It is only down ~500 vs prior year when there was no XT4 or XT6, I expected more cannibalization.

·
Registered
21,086 Posts
1,000 takers for the XT6, not to shabby. Actually, kind of surprising me that the XT5 continues to do well. It is only down ~500 vs prior year when there was no XT4 or XT6, I expected more cannibalization.
I suspect a lot were put into dealers service loners, that is what happened last year when the XT4 came out, but cars were down almost 2,400 YOY.

YOY Caddy sold 1,900 more units, YTD is only up 664 - not picking fights, just stating facts.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Yeah, the Caddy car numbers are frightening. It is funny to look at some of the numbers. You can really see what vehicles are picking up the lost fleet sales from cars. What is up with Malibu?

·
Registered
18,880 Posts
I suspect a lot were put into dealers service loners, that is what happened last year when the XT4 came out, but cars were down almost 2,400 YOY.

YOY Caddy sold 1,900 more units, YTD is only up 664 - not picking fights, just stating facts.
Cars are a train wreck, but the CUV's/trucks look good. But yes, could be stocking up the on the dealer loaners.

·
Registered
21,086 Posts
GM cars are crashing faster than Ford, sheesh!

·
Registered
21,086 Posts
Cars are a train wreck, but the CUV's/trucks look good. But yes, could be stocking up the on the dealer loaners.
GM Totals; YTD: (for comparison Ford)

"Cars" -91K (-69K)
"CUVs" +85K (-20K)
"Trucks" -33K (+46K)

Looking deeper; maybe the XT6 number is real and the XT5 sales number is fake?..................

My Cadillac Dealer has 247 COURTESY TRANSPORTATION VEHICLES, and 282 NEW.

Of the 247 loaners; 189 are XT5!? Those get posted as "retail sale" when they go into that program.

https://www.cadillacofnovi.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=demo

Reactions: Extreme4x4

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yeah, the Caddy car numbers are frightening. It is funny to look at some of the numbers. You can really see what vehicles are picking up the lost fleet sales from cars. What is up with Malibu?
Aren't the ATS/CTS out of production? I'm guessing based upon the numbers the XTS is also.

·
Registered
21,086 Posts
That is mind-boggling! Is that typical of large dealerships across brands?
No, appears to be a new game GM is playing............ The first I saw it was last fall, they had a lot of the XT4's in the loaner program.

They are essentially manipulating what month the "retail sale" is going to take place.

Do they need that many loaners, they've got almost as many in loaner program as they do new!

·
Registered
226 Posts
No, appears to be a new game GM is playing............ The first I saw it was last fall, they had a lot of the XT4's in the loaner program.

They are essentially manipulating what month the "retail sale" is going to take place.

Do they need that many loaners, they've got almost as many in loaner program as they do new!
FCA has been pumping dealer auction full of brand new Ram's, Caravans, Pacificas,Durango's and Journeys. My BIL is a used auto dealer and showed me the staggering amount of brand new FCA inventory going through his local sale (about 150+ units). I don't know why they would do this, someone suggested excess inventory but I don't buy that as these are supposedly hot selling items. Perhaps these units are counted as a retail sale as soon as they cross the auction block? Also, you have to be a registered FCA franchise in order to buy these units.

I think automakers can play strange games to try to win that sales race.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

"Cars" -91K (-69K)
"CUVs" +85K (-20K)
"Trucks" -33K (+46K)

Looking deeper; maybe the XT6 number is real and the XT5 sales number is fake?..................

Of the 247 loaners; 189 are XT5!? Those get posted as "retail sale" when they go into that program.

Percent increase/decrease?

·
Registered
698 Posts
As usual, the numbers for the Camaro are nauseatingly bad. Do you think there will be a 7th gen. after the 2024 hiatus? Not holding my breath, especially considering GM's actions lately. Hello 2002 all over again. Meet the new GM, same as the old GM. The Camaro is dead and it doesn't even know it yet.

·
Premium Member
11,313 Posts
As usual, the numbers for the Camaro are nauseatingly bad. Do you think there will be a 7th gen. after the 2024 hiatus? Not holding my breath, especially considering GM's actions lately. Hello 2002 all over again. Meet the new GM, same as the old GM. The Camaro is dead and it doesn't even know it yet.
What staggers me is that GM can find a business case for a RHD Corvette,
and a RHD Acadia but, the obvious RHD Camaro escapes them....

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
What staggers me is that GM can find a business case for a RHD Corvette,
and a RHD Acadia but, the obvious RHD Camaro escapes them....
I'm sure they have plenty of capacity in springhill to offer a RHD acadia for us mail carriers too.

·
Registered
18,880 Posts

"Cars" -91K (-69K)
"CUVs" +85K (-20K)
"Trucks" -33K (+46K)

I'm going to put my accounting hat on, my first question is, is that right? It sounds too outlandish to be correct. I'm not calling into question that those are the numbers show, I'm wondering if they are right.

Next time I go to my dealer I'll have to ask how many loaners they have. Thinking out loud, they do have two full time employees dedicated to the "loaner desk". So they must have a decent quantity to loan out to justify two heads. Maybe 247 isn't an outlandish number.

If they are all being truly used as loaners, then is it an issue to have them? I guess the real issue is the churn - are they only being used for two weeks then put on the used market, then putting a new one in the loaner pool? That'll kill the resale value quickly.

·
Registered
21,086 Posts
I'm going to put my accounting hat on, my first question is, is that right? It sounds too outlandish to be correct. I'm not calling into question that those are the numbers show, I'm wondering if they are right.

Next time I go to my dealer I'll have to ask how many loaners they have. Thinking out loud, they do have two full time employees dedicated to the "loaner desk". So they must have a decent quantity to loan out to justify two heads. Maybe 247 isn't an outlandish number.

If they are all being truly used as loaners, then is it an issue to have them? I guess the real issue is the churn - are they only being used for two weeks then put on the used market, then putting a new one in the loaner pool? That'll kill the resale value quickly.
Do they need that many I doubt it, but putting them in the program dictates the month of the retail sale, (date of service into the loaner program) and it also gives them flexibility to discount beyond normal allowed amounts (Supplier/Employee, Etc.)

XT5's are down to 184 today, must have sold a few last night................

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Premium Member
11,313 Posts
Dealerships are shrewd business folk, they know that people love discounts,
any way shape or form it comes in makes them feel like they had a win and
got something for nothing.

Low mileage Demos that have actually been loaner cars are a great way
of promoting business while providing a valuable service to the dealership
and finally, a ready supply of discount buyers happy to snap them up.

IMO, ^^^ that's the main source of those sub 12 month vehicle trades,
there are fickle buyers/ change of circumstance buyers that do trade under
12 months but I'm willing to bet that they are fewer than people think.

I've also know people to move a new car on if it's had a significant crash repair
or even hail damage - even if it's light and repairable, it's no longer a new car.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts