·
Registered
20,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM issues second recall of Chevy Bolt EVs after vehicles catch fire

PUBLISHED FRI, JUL 23 2021 9:00 AM EDT
Michael Wayland @MIKEWAYLAND

KEY POINTS
  • GM has issued a second recall of its 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolt EVs due to fire risks.
  • The automaker is recalling the vehicles after at least two of the electric vehicles that were previously repaired for the problem erupted into flames.
  • The recall comes about a week after GM told owners of the vehicles not to park their vehicles inside or charge them unattended overnight following the fires.

General Motors has issued a second recall of its 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolt EVs after at least two of the electric vehicles that were repaired for a previous problem erupted into flames.

The automaker said Friday that officials with GM and LG Energy Solution, which supplies the vehicle’s battery cells, have identified a second “rare manufacturing defect” in the EVs that increases the risk of fire. The recall covers about 69,000 of the cars globally, including nearly 51,000 in the U.S.

To fix the problem, GM said it will replace defective battery modules in the vehicles, which can be costly but will be free to owners. The automaker says the repair is different than the previous fix, which largely relied on software and, in some cases, replacement modules.

(continued at link)

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,156 Posts
Free battery replacement... heck of a deal.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
That should buff right out.

Y not just start equipping them with a heat-triggered fire suppression system? Other than the fact that foam is toxic as hell, they could charge a couple of grand for "Optional battery cooling system."
It's all good.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
That should buff right out.

Y not just start equipping them with a heat-triggered fire suppression system? Other than the fact that foam is toxic as hell, they could charge a couple of grand for "Optional battery cooling system."
It's all good.
Go to the car wash and put a pine (or musk or vanilla) scent thingy over the mirror and you won't notice a thing

·
Registered
20,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sit atop a tank of flammable gasoline, or sit atop a battery of flammable storage cells.

You could always ride a horse.
As long as there isn't a mouse sitting on top of the gas tank lighting matches, you should be OK.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Sit atop a tank of flammable gasoline, or sit atop a battery of flammable storage cells.

You could always ride a horse.
This isn't the 80's anymore, gas tanks aren't catching fire in car accidents. And I'm more concerned about the EMF (ELF and RF) radiation of EV's than fire danger.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,876 Posts
GM is now instructing Bolt owners to set SOC limits via Hilltop Reserve mode (MY 2017-2018) or Target Charge Level mode (MY 2019).

Link to more information, including a how-to video: Bolt EV Recall (chevrolet.com)

1. Customers should, whether or not they received the current software update, return their vehicle to the 90% state of charge limitation using Hilltop Reserve mode (for 2017-2018 model years) or Target Charge Level (for 2019 model year) mode. If customers are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, we are asking them to visit their dealer to have these adjustments completed.

2. Additionally, we ask that customers charge their vehicle after each use and avoid depleting their battery below approximately 70 miles of remaining range, where possible.

3. Out of an abundance of caution, customers should continue to park their vehicles outside immediately after charging and not leave their vehicles charging overnight.

In the meantime, customers who have not visited their dealer to receive the advanced diagnostics software should visit their nearest Chevrolet EV dealer to obtain the update. After obtaining the software, customers should still limit their state of charge to 90% and otherwise follow the advice above.

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
60 Posts
Finally, GM. I bet LG reached out quietly to fix this, they're taking a huge hit this year. I blame LG for the problem, GM for dragging their feet. BTW, 150 ICE cars burn each day, on average but less than a dozen Bolts. Good odds.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,044 Posts
Finally, GM. I bet LG reached out quietly to fix this, they're taking a huge hit this year. I blame LG for the problem, GM for dragging their feet. BTW, 150 ICE cars burn each day, on average but less than a dozen Bolts. Good odds.
Good point, but sadly these Bolts and for that matter any electric are fab and all new to the world so to speak and for the newsies so therefore, they get the attention.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good point, but sadly these Bolts and for that matter any electric are fab and all new to the world so to speak and for the newsies so therefore, they get the attention.
So true. I wonder how many horses caught fire when we switched to cars? LOL (actually, electric cars were more prevalent back in the automotive beginning.....)

·
Registered
9,018 Posts
But there's like 13 million ICE cars roaming around and my guess is if an ICE vehicle catches on fire it probably wasn't sitting in the garage. Not the best comparison I suppose.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
There are about 276 million passenger vehicles in the USA. About 150 car fires per day, or

Key findings An estimated 212,500 vehicle fires caused 560 civilian deathsi 1,500 civilian injuries; and $1.9 billion in direct property damage in the US during 2018. In 2018, only fires in one- and two-family homes claimed more lives than vehicle fires. Vehicle fires caused 4.5 times the number of deaths as nonresidential structure fires and 1.6 times the number of apartment fire deaths. Most of this report focuses on highway vehicle fires. ii The vast majority of vehicle fires and vehicle fire casualties involve highway vehicles (vehicles intended for use on roadways). The 2018 estimate of highway vehicle fires was 60 percent lower than in 1980, and the rates of fires per billion miles driven and fire deaths per 100 billion miles driven were 81 percent and 65 percent lower, respectively. Four of every five people killed or injured in highway vehicle fires in 2013–2017 were male. Almost half (44 percent) of the vehicle fire fatalities were between 15 and 34. Only 10 percent were at least 65 years of age. Highway vehicle fires were most common between 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. i Unless otherwise specified, firefighter deaths and injuries are excluded from casualty statistics. ii The term highway vehicle fire is used to describe fires in which cars, trucks, motorcycles, buses, and other road vehicles burned, regardless of where the fire occurred. However, if a vehicle inside a structure caught fire and spread to the structure or other contents, that fire would be considered a structure fire. The leading causes of vehicle fires were mechanical failures or malfunctions and electrical failures or malfunctions. Older vehicles accounted for three-quarters of the highway vehicle fires caused by mechanical or electrical failures or malfunctions. Maintenance is important throughout the vehicle’s years of use. Collisions were the leading cause of vehicle fires that resulted in death. Large trucks have a higher rate of deaths per 1,000 fires than highway vehicle fires overall. Tires play a larger role in large truck and bus fires than in car fires. Additional information can be found in the supporting tables for this report.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
But there's like 13 million ICE cars roaming around and my guess is if an ICE vehicle catches on fire it probably wasn't sitting in the garage. Not the best comparison I suppose.
My 3 series had 2 recalls that BMW had no fix for for about 2 years and each recall was a potential fire risk. Their interim guidance until they had a remedy/parts...park outside away from structures that can catch on fire. Many of the reported fires occurred in cars that had been parked for days. I believe >1M vehicles were under recall.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts